The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aimless2007
This might be a bit too optimistic. I might be on a par with Emory or Vander or something along these lines. I don't really think that most ppl would put UChicago and UCL in the same tier.

According to Newsweek's league table (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/site/newsweek/ ):

19. Cornell University
20. University of Chicago

21. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich
22. University of Washington at Seattle
23. University of California at San Diego
24. Johns Hopkins University
25. University College London
53. University of Melbourne
54. University of Southern California
55. University of Alberta
56. Brown University
65. Boston University
66. Vanderbilt University
67. University of Rochester
68. Tohoku University
92. University of Leuven
93. Emory University
94. Nagoya University
95. Case Western Reserve University
Reply 21
World rankings dont make too much sense apart from placing unis in leagues, as the above poster has shown. I would fearlessly say that UCL = lower ivies. go for UCL...
btw in that ranking UCL is better than LSE. and many of UKs best Unis arent featured :confused:
it's supposedly a "composite" ranking but I don't much credence to some of their sources.

However, it is enjoyable because of how they spell "Princeton Universitty".
Reply 24
i think your not such a cool guy . and should not go to university :-p ! hahahaha. just kidding... whats up , i think since you also got accepted into bristol.. you should go there just because im going there
abrp
btw in that ranking UCL is better than LSE. and many of UKs best Unis arent featured :confused:

Newsweek isn't really thought of as producing the definitive table- US News and World Report has more experience and weight. UCL is like Penn...
US News doesn't do an international ranking though.
Of course, I forgot that...then maybe Shanghai Jiao Ton.
UCL isn't like Penn. UCL is maybe like Northwestern or something like that.
Reply 29
If you're trying to get away from the "ghetto mentality", then USC may not be the choice. USC is basically on the edges of South Central -- not a great neighborhood. It's a really good school -- not as good as UCLA.

With that said, how can you pass up going to school in LA! Fun times!!!!
Aimless2007

Support?
Reply 31
pharmakos
According to Newsweek's league table (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/site/newsweek/ ):

19. Cornell University
20. University of Chicago

21. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich
22. University of Washington at Seattle
23. University of California at San Diego
24. Johns Hopkins University
25. University College London

UCL is below udub and ucsd?! :eek:
well i guess it IS an american listing. haha :rolleyes:
Too true
It's not an American listing though. It's an amalgamation of the Chinese university table and the THES world rankings.
Reply 34
yes, but its compiled by Newsweek.
i mean, comeon. its comparatively harder to get an offer from UCL as it is to get into udub!
Reply 35
it was Virginia Tech, not University of Virginia.

There is a reference to UoV in Death of a Salesman.
Reply 36
chrisjorg
There is a reference to UoV in Death of a Salesman.

HAHHHAA. If thats from IB English, stop it! :p: english exams are overrr.
forever!
Reply 37
Aimless2007
This might be a bit too optimistic. I might be on a par with Emory or Vander or something along these lines. I don't really think that most ppl would put UChicago and UCL in the same tier.

I've never really heard too much about UChicago, whereas UCL as one of the leading institutions in the University of London might have more of an international scope. It's hard to give UCL an American equivalent but I would probably say a university like NYU because they're solid a city based university.
I'm speaking from point of view as an American who lives in London.
Reply 38
Aimless2007

Haha my dad went to Northwestern and applied for UCL/LSE and didn't get in.
Reply 39
I've never really heard too much about UChicago

I'm going to go ahead and say that it's had waaay more influence on the fields of geography,sociology and economics than UCL.

Latest

Trending

Trending