The Student Room Group

Good A-Levels to choose? Geography, Economics, English literature or chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chrlhyms
I see, thank you so much for your support yeah i had a look at equations, including enthalpy etc and it looked quite difficult but the rest regarding alkanes, plastics, equations etc looked okay.. it was just the maths!

What grade should I be achieving now if i want to do a level chemistry do you think? And do i need to be pretty good at maths?

It's ironic as i hate reading but I love analysing, I end up looking up stuff on spark notes about english which probably isn't great.

And no, since the department for education are getting rid of AS levels, my school has gotten rid of them completely apart from one subject which is maths. So I can take 4 for say a week or two? then I would have to make up my mind which isn't really fair if you ask me... And makes things a lot harder

You're welcome. For the most part the maths is pretty similar to GCSE chemistry at AS so GCSE level maths is sufficient.

I don't think grade really matters as long as you meet your schools requirement but triple science is definitely very useful!

Oh that sucks, don't take maths if you dislike it - I made that mistake because my parents insisted and I regret it.
Original post by Manexopi
You're welcome. For the most part the maths is pretty similar to GCSE chemistry at AS so GCSE level maths is sufficient.

I don't think grade really matters as long as you meet your schools requirement but triple science is definitely very useful!

Oh that sucks, don't take maths if you dislike it - I made that mistake because my parents insisted and I regret it.

Oh thats lucky, I find GCSE chem quite easy and I've heard its quite similar to C3, I'm still very much undecided on what i want to do really.

Maths seems really hard at a level i was debating it
Reply 22
Oh thats lucky, I find GCSE chem quite easy and I've heard its quite similar to C3, I'm still very much undecided on what i want to do really.

Maths seems really hard at a level i was debating it

Yeah GCSE chemistry is really easy. Some topics in C3 will overlap with the AS course like energetics, organic and all the periodicity stuff.

If maths is not desirable for your course and you don't think you'll cope then don't do it. That being said, don't not do it just because you think it's hard. Maths may be seen as economics but it doesn't link toyour other subjects as much.

How are you finding GCSE maths and are you doing the further maths qualification?
Yeah GCSE chemistry is really easy. Some topics in C3 will overlap with the AS course like energetics, organic and all the periodicity stuff.

If maths is not desirable for your course and you don't think you'll cope then don't do it. That being said, don't not do it just because you think it's hard. Maths may be seen as economics but it doesn't link toyour other subjects as much.

How are you finding GCSE maths and are you doing the further maths qualification?

That's very true! I find GCSE maths fine I'm on an A at the moment (awaiting my mock results). However I have done 2 extra maths qualifications.. Algebra II and also III, III is seen as a bridge between GCSE and A level. However, I found that extremely difficult so a level probably wouldn't be best for me.

But i heard that the maths in chemistry is really really hard
Reply 24
That's very true! I find GCSE maths fine I'm on an A at the moment (awaiting my mock results). However I have done 2 extra maths qualifications.. Algebra II and also III, III is seen as a bridge between GCSE and A level. However, I found that extremely difficult so a level probably wouldn't be best for me.

But i heard that the maths in chemistry is really really hard

Yeah probably. Maths AS isn't too bad if you like it because then you'll put the work in (:

It'd imagine it's because people don't understand the chemistry or how to properly rearrange equations. All you need to know are particular formulas and in the case of energetics, you can use cycles instead of remembering equations. Also reading the question carefully and writing out all the values for each substance in a table works wonders too (:
Yeah probably. Maths AS isn't too bad if you like it because then you'll put the work in (:

It'd imagine it's because people don't understand the chemistry or how to properly rearrange equations. All you need to know are particular formulas and in the case of energetics, you can use cycles instead of remembering equations. Also reading the question carefully and writing out all the values for each substance in a table works wonders too (:

I was hoping my mock results would be different for Eng lit and Chem to incise me to choose one over another but i got 5 A*'s, 5 A's, 1 B and a D, and two of those A*'s were in English lit and Chem!! (D was in japanese hahaha).

What do you mean by cycles? Do you get the formula in the exam? I'm guessing there's a lot of maths, which isn't my strongest point
Reply 26
I was hoping my mock results would be different for Eng lit and Chem to incise me to choose one over another but i got 5 A*'s, 5 A's, 1 B and a D, and two of those A*'s were in English lit and Chem!! (D was in japanese hahaha).

What do you mean by cycles? Do you get the formula in the exam? I'm guessing there's a lot of maths, which isn't my strongest point

Cycles are just an alternative way of working out some energetics questions and require drawing out a diagram. As far as I am aware, you do not get formulas in the exam. You can check out the data sheet on your exam boards website to be sure.

There's not much mathematical understanding required other than how to use a calculator. If you know your formulas and the units and read the question carefully, then you really shouldn't go wrong. The more mathsy questions are also very predictable so you shouldn't be caught out if you've revised it (: Grade A* - B in maths should be fine. (Not sure exactly which is your maths grade.)
Cycles are just an alternative way of working out some energetics questions and require drawing out a diagram. As far as I am aware, you do not get formulas in the exam. You can check out the data sheet on your exam boards website to be sure.

There's not much mathematical understanding required other than how to use a calculator. If you know your formulas and the units and read the question carefully, then you really shouldn't go wrong. The more mathsy questions are also very predictable so you shouldn't be caught out if you've revised it (: Grade A* - B in maths should be fine. (Not sure exactly which is your maths grade.)

I got an A in my mock, and oh i see! thank you so much for your help you've been amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest