The Student Room Group

A mediocre man's journey to.... something less mediocre?

Scroll to see replies

13/06/2019 Limb

SLDLs
60kg - 12, 12.
Struggled to hold that bar due to left hand blister so just left it at that.

Deadlifts a no go obv.

Leg Press (manually put on plates, quite a vertical push)
250kg - 12, 10, 10. Had more in me but the metal started misgrooving at a particular point and I wasn’t getting blamed for breaking it.

Hammer curls
10kg - 12, 12, 12
Kept it lighter due to elbow niggle.

Inbetween these sets did reverse wrist curls with 4kg DB. Had a touch of sore elbow before I went and during Spain.
Remembered the physio work I did to combat it.

Single Arm double rope Tricep Extensions
15kg - 10, 10, 10.

Facepulls (cos couldn't do yesterday)
25kg - 20, 20.

Next two days with the gf so hoping blister is gone by Sunday.
Torso 16/06/2019

Was like 6pm and had only had a small breakfast.

DB Bench
32.5kg - 10, 9f, 6f.
Fell off a cliff on last set. Hard.
Strength wee bit down on start of May.

OHP
45kg - 5, 4f. About 7.5kg down on some months back but prefer DB shoulder press as an imbalance had developed.

First time in a while i’ve horizontally and vertically pressed in the same session. This has limited progress.

Lat pulldown
58.5kg - 9, 9, 8

Cable Rows (wide grip)
49.5kg - 8
40kg - 12, 12

TRX band Rows
12, 12.

Facepulls
20kg - 20, 20.

Reverse wrist curls etc.
19/06/19 Limb

Trap bar Deadlift
125kg - 5, 5, 5. Easy. Forgot chalk as gym is uncharacteristically warm atm
(Gym has no A/C nor any heating. Rustic big former Aircraft hanger vibe. Bit chilly in winter at times)

Arms, facepulls

21/06/2019 Torso

Picked up some mild golfer’s elbow but sorting it. Was sore at the start of this session (due to driving the van like 6 hours yesterday at work) but fine at the end.

DB Shoulder Press
22.5s - 11, 10, 9. Easier than last time despite same results.

Barbell Rows
87.5kg - 8, 7f, 7.
Quite hard but needed chalk as the bar felt like it was spinning in my hands on last set.
One day I’ll realise ‘oh it’s summer, I may sweat in the gym given there is no A/C’.

Pull ups
Bodyweight was 75kg this morning.
11, 10, 9.

Facepulls
20kg - 20
25kg - 20, 20.

Some lat raises and wrist curls etc to finish.
Rows looking solid
Original post by Enginerd.
Rows looking solid

Cheers bro. Things are going in the right direction

How’s things with you?
25/06/2019 Limb

Trap Bar Deadlifts
130kg - 6, 6, 6. Remembered chalk. Not quite maximum but not comfortable.

Actually read Illusionz deadlift prompts and 2 I was doing differently. Bending knees forward seemed to engage my hamstrings better than ‘sit back’ and I think my chest was previously too low

Meant to video actually. Will also pull conventional and video as previously my lower back rounded due to poor hamstring engagement (which I feel SLDLs have improved greatly).

Glute bridges
40kg - 12, 12, 12. Had a back pump but was unsure if it was ok so didn’t go heavier.
Should have in hindsight

Then arms (hammer curls, tricep and supinated bicep)
26/06/2019 Torso

Usually I fraudulently use the gf’s gym when in Edi. That branch was shut for refurbishment so used the alternative provided which was basically 20 seconds from princes St. So at midday on a Wednesday it was RAMMED.

Cable Rows
(No chance I was getting a barbell, other than to bench)
45kg - 8, 8, 8

DB Shoulder Press
22s - 11, 11, 11.
They had longer, slimmer DBs and they were just good. Felt stronger though

Bench Press
65kg - 6. Elbow didn’t like this so just stopped.

DB Bench
32s - 9.
Folk were waiting to even get a small bench so just gave them it.
Not a fan of other people when i’m in the gym.

Lat pulldown
52kg - 12, 12.

Could not get the rope for facepulls and the gf was on her lunch break so bailed.

27/06/2019
After a 5 year hiatus i’ve picked golf back up due to the infectious enthusiasm of colleagues.

Certainly hit a club further now. Hit almost every shot way too far but slowly adapting and the day ended in a comfortable win.

So ticked off another course i’ve never played on a truly tropical 27c Scottish day.
(edited 4 years ago)
Golf makes you a proper policeman now
Original post by Angry cucumber
Golf makes you a proper policeman now

Absolutely, the only thing that does. I certainly have no clue what i’m doing
(edited 4 years ago)
The setup I described is for conventional - I've never done a trap bar deadlift in my life lol

The bending I described is because you start with your legs not touching the bar, so have to bend the knees to get your shins in contact.

I'm not sure where your chest should be for trap bar but would make sense for you to try and get it high, without dropping hips.

Unless you were just commenting and it had nothing to do with your trap bar ones!
Original post by Unistudent77
25/06/2019 Limb

Trap Bar Deadlifts
130kg - 6, 6, 6. Remembered chalk. Not quite maximum but not comfortable.

Actually read Illusionz deadlift prompts and 2 I was doing differently. Bending knees forward seemed to engage my hamstrings better than ‘sit back’ and I think my chest was previously too low

Meant to video actually. Will also pull conventional and video as previously my lower back rounded due to poor hamstring engagement (which I feel SLDLs have improved greatly).

Glute bridges
40kg - 12, 12, 12. Had a back pump but was unsure if it was ok so didn’t go heavier.
Should have in hindsight

Then arms (hammer curls, tricep and supinated bicep)
(edited 4 years ago)
Cheers bro. Things are going in the right direction

How’s things with you?

My bad, didn't see this as TSR App isn't good.
I'm back to gym after two months off, strength is slowly getting there but muscle endurance is bad. Just slowly following my custom routine until the year end before I move on to something else.
Original post by illusionz
The setup I described is for conventional - I've never done a trap bar deadlift in my life lol

The bending I described is because you start with your legs not touching the bar, so have to bend the knees to get your shins in contact.

I'm not sure where your chest should be for trap bar but would make sense for you to try and get it high, without dropping hips.

Unless you were just commenting and it had nothing to do with your trap bar ones!

Oh yes I was well aware! (You cannot make your shins touch the bar for example obviously)
But I normally warm up with some SLDLs and did a bit of conventional thereafter to feel ‘good’. So i’m more meaning I felt a difference then.

My bad, didn't see this as TSR App isn't good.
I'm back to gym after two months off, strength is slowly getting there but muscle endurance is bad. Just slowly following my custom routine until the year end before I move on to something else.

Cool cool, why the break?

Yeah I know what you mean about the endurance but it’ll quickly come back.
Cool cool, why the break?

Yeah I know what you mean about the endurance but it’ll quickly come back.

Just general life tbh. Need to stay consistent but motivation appears/disappears sporadically.
(edited 4 years ago)
Just general life tbh. Need to stay consistent but motivation appears/disappears sporadically.

Yeah fair, I know how that is.
Tbh why i stepped down from being a mod, working shifts defo ****s me.

Just gotta think why you’re doing it I suppose
Yeah fair, I know how that is.
Tbh why i stepped down from being a mod, working shifts defo ****s me.

Just gotta think why you’re doing it I suppose

Yeh, after the time off I'm quite motivated atm but taking it nice and slow and thinking about long term.
Idk why the gap in posting. Shifts have been **** and been busy but still been training.
A mix of Recent sessions:

DB Shoulder Press
22.5s - 11, 11, 11. PB. May try and grab a 12th rep before increasing to 25s as I feel they’ll feel like a large jump

DB Bench
32.5s - 10, 10, 10. Will increase weight next session. Not benched enough, had backed off due to elbow discomfort which is all but resolved now.

Barbell Rows
87.5kg - 8, 8, 8. Hard not to slightly cheat

Pullups
12, 11, 11. I think 12 is borderline PB, weight is about 77kg so i’m fairly confident that’s the best i’ve done. With best form anyway.

Trap bar deadlift
135kg - 6, 6, 6. Felt heavy.

Been fine just some sessions in last two weeks have felt a bit lethargic. Shift work doesn’t help, nor does the heat.
I prefer training when it’s a bit chilly.
in :smile:
Well ****. Things were fine, got my Yellow Fever Vaccination for Kenya 10 days ago exactly. Was fine for first 4 days and then a deep internal fever hit me. Ruined for 3 days, feel much better now but zero stamina.
Was pushing a wedged large haylage bale into a narrow stable and was blowing like ****. Bleep test level of puffing after 30 seconds.

Going to gym today but throat feels strange so gonna go through the motions and try and survive. Annoying but hopefully on the mend

Quick Reply

Latest