The Student Room Group

Asexual? Assemble!

Poll

Are you asexual?

Have a question about asexuality? Maybe you think you might be ace, or just want to know more about this little understood sexuality? Ask it here and hopefully a real life ace (yes we do exist) will answer it!
This thread is for discussion about any asexual topics and please hold off on the mitosis jokes. They're really not as funny as you think sorry :P

Before you read the rest of the thread:

Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction, not romantic attraction.
Demisexuality is only feeling sexual attraction when you have an emotional connection to someone.
Grey asexuality is only feeling sexual attraction very occasionally and even then it's very unsure.
Asexuality, like all orientations, is a SPECTRUM.

Aromantic is separate from asexuality and it is the lack of romantic attraction.

Now that you know the basic facts, discuss away!
Reply 1
Whenever I see the word 'aromantic', I always misread it as 'aromatic'....
Reply 2
Original post by UWS

It's better than most people who tend to not see 'aromantic' at all or misread it as 'emotionally dead'... so good work! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently very confused about everything!

I'm 19, a lesbian, and I have never had a first kiss, dated someone or had sex, mostly because I have never found the right person and am not one for casual sex (though probably because I don't want to waste my "first time"). I'm just struggling to figure out if it's because of social anxiety, or because I'm just not interested, part of me also thinks the pill could be affecting my sex drive.

I'm am going to uni this October, so my worrying is in overdrive as you can imagine. I realise this is sort of a mess of a post, but does anyone have any advice/is in the same boat?

Thanks!
Continuously Confused Anon
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently very confused about everything! I'm 19, a lesbian, and I have never had a first kiss, dated someone or had sex, mostly because I have never found the right person and am not one for casual sex (though probably because I don't want to waste my "first time"). I'm just struggling to figure out if it's because of social anxiety, or because I'm just not interested, part of me also thinks the pill could be affecting my sex drive.

I'm no expert at any stuff but I think it's perfectly possible the pill could affect your libido but I don't think it affects actual amounts of attraction.
Since you said you're a lesbian it sounds like you've had sexual attraction towards other girls so I'm guessing you're probably not asexual (good work pointing out the obvious me)
If you've never done any of those things because you've never felt romantic attraction to anyone ('not interested') then it's possible you're aromantic or some variation, but if you have felt romantic attraction and just never acted on it then that's just down to your choices really.
At uni you'll have a lot more chances to meet 'the right one' if that's what you really are waiting for, but if it doesn't happen or you decide to identify as ace or aro or whatever then at some places they're beginning to have meetings of aces and aros so you won't be alone. If social anxiety makes it difficult to attend those sort of things then there's also a growing online community where you can find support!
And remember, sexuality is actually pretty fluid so it's entirely possible you won't always feel like this so keep positive :smile:
(I apologise for long and confusing reply feel free to ask more about any of it, I'm not used to trying to help like this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by UWS

when A level chemistry messes up your brain...
Reply 6
Original post by UWS

I see it more as 'a romantic' but thats very ironic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending