The Student Room Group

Where to declare car insurance?

Right basically, my parents live in a low insurance risk area but at uni I live in the 9th highest risk area in the UK for insurance :'( at my parents home (my permanent address) insurance is about 300 quid but at my uni address (where the car will be kept most of the time) insurance is about 1300 quid.

Will the insurance company shaft me if I state my address as parents house but the bike gets nicked at my uni address?
Original post by RynneEllis
Right basically, my parents live in a low insurance risk area but at uni I live in the 9th highest risk area in the UK for insurance :'( at my parents home (my permanent address) insurance is about 300 quid but at my uni address (where the car will be kept most of the time) insurance is about 1300 quid.

Will the insurance company shaft me if I state my address as parents house but the bike gets nicked at my uni address?

If the car will be at home more than 4/7 nights a week or for more weeks of the year than at uni then it should be fine to register it at home. Some insurance companies prefer you to insure for the higher risk area that you park in if your time is split. You'll need to ask the insurer but there should be some out there who are happy with registering it at home if that is where it is mostly.

If you were to register it at home and it wasn't there mostly, I don't know if it is likely they'd ever know. But if they did and you were in an accident it could invalidate your insurance and cost you ££££!! Not worth it in my opinion.
Original post by Neostigmine
If the car will be at home more than 4/7 nights a week or for more weeks of the year than at uni then it should be fine to register it at home. Some insurance companies prefer you to insure for the higher risk area that you park in if your time is split. You'll need to ask the insurer but there should be some out there who are happy with registering it at home if that is where it is mostly.

If you were to register it at home and it wasn't there mostly, I don't know if it is likely they'd ever know. But if they did and you were in an accident it could invalidate your insurance and cost you ££££!! Not worth it in my opinion.

I agree.
Best to speak to the insurance company and ask. Best to ask and be safe than get it werong and get caught out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending