The Student Room Group

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pentaquark
Personally I'd like to retake those exams. I honestly don't mind having those two extra exams on top of the rest of them.
Its just for my own self and yes I can see why it would be pointless I guess.
But I truly want to redo them.
Just a second shot just to make myself feel a bit better, especially because I was doing well in the past papers :s-smilie:

I certainly will be taking A2 very seriously.

Well done on your fab results!!!

As someone who was very pissed off last year at getting 88 in M1 (my second lowest was 97) and seriously considering retaking it, I'm so glad I didn't. It meant I could actually focus on my A2 modules and ended up with A*A*. I know just how you feel, but I promise it's not worth risking the A*s! If you feel like taking more maths modules, why not do AS additional further maths instead? That's what I ended up doing as a compromise.

Once again, you've done fantastically. You should be super proud! x
Original post by loveire&song
Well done on your fab results!!!

As someone who was very pissed off last year at getting 88 in M1 (my second lowest was 97) and seriously considering retaking it, I'm so glad I didn't. It meant I could actually focus on my A2 modules and ended up with A*A*. I know just how you feel, but I promise it's not worth risking the A*s! If you feel like taking more maths modules, why not do AS additional further maths instead? That's what I ended up doing as a compromise.

Once again, you've done fantastically. You should be super proud! x

Oh you guys. Giving me really good advice and my stubborn, naive self is like nooooooo. I definitely want to retake M2 because its an A2 module.
And well for further maths it will probably come in very handy if I end up getting higher than 73 UMS lol. Seriously I don't mind putting myself under that pressure.
thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh you guys. Giving me really good advice and my stubborn, naive self is like nooooooo. I definitely want to retake M2 because its an A2 module.
And well for further maths it will probably come in very handy if I end up getting higher than 73 UMS lol. Seriously I don't mind putting myself under that pressure.

Oh sh*t sorry, I misread that as M1! Retaking M2 is probably a good idea - I found FP2 and 3 a lot trickier than FP1 so was aiming on using my applieds to "pull up" my grade :tongue: And you know your limits better than us; so good luck!

Once again, you should be super proud. Don't let a couple of slightly worse modules bring you down - you got straight As! Well done!
Original post by SeanFM
Well done, target achieved.. now for an A*A*A*A* A2 blog :lol: ( no pressure..)

Oh I've got this sorted...
"THE LAST HURDLE - A*A*AA - I WILL NOT GIVE UP pt.2"
A cheeky a star in maths & chem will do me :wink:
Original post by lawlieto
LOL don't retake M2 and FP1... I think it would be pointless, you got good enough results, take A2 more seriously, you truly don't need retakes, you didn't get Es and Ds. A2 exams get very stressful, the last thing you need is 2 extra exams
Also, don't compare yourself to your school if you are obviously better than most of them, try to have your own standards :smile:

I forgot to say, congrats for meeting your oxford offer for chemistry!!
My standards tend to be quite high :colondollar: although my perfectionist side is slowly disappearing because its not a healthy attitude to have.
Makes me feel a bit better comparing my performance to people at school.
Especially when quite a few of them want you to do badly out of jealousy.:frown:
Well done! I'm currently stuck between deciding to drop maths or not since i got AAAA and want to do 3 not four next year :/ I got 272 UMS (i think its out of 300) i got 88-core 1, 84-core 2 and 100 ums in stats! so i was very happy and suprised at this, though core 2 could have gone better. Not sure what to d0ooo, wish we knew the UMS of the others!
Original post by clairebear101
Well done! I'm currently stuck between deciding to drop maths or not since i got AAAA and want to do 3 not four next year :/ I got 272 UMS (i think its out of 300) i got 88-core 1, 84-core 2 and 100 ums in stats! so i was very happy and suprised at this, though core 2 could have gone better. Not sure what to d0ooo, wish we knew the UMS of the others!

Ah well if you like maths then do it!! Have a look at C3 & C4 stuff and see whether you would enjoy it or wouldn't mind doing it.
I will be asking my teachers my raw marks for chemistry and physics -
purely out of curiosity though in my case.
No UMS remember for sciences :colondollar:
If you want to drop one, pick the one that isn't going to matter much to you in terms of uni courses I guess. I don't know what you want to do so I can't really decide for you. Thanks and you too!!!
18/08/16 - Results day...
This may well be my last post.
Unless you guys want to hear about what I get up to during the rest of my summer. :smile:

I'll get stuck in. I went to get my results at 11 with my friends and I successfully managed to make a quick getaway to open my results outside school.
I ended up opening it as I went down the stairs lol I couldn't wait any longer!!!

I ended up with...

Spoiler

I would like to say a big
THANK YOU
to those who have helped me, the ones who have posted lovely comments, who have repped my thread/posts (I am still amazed at the amount), the ones who have been following all this time, the late comers and ofc the lurkers.

It means a lot honestly. I feel like crying now typing this.:redface:
You are all amazing people.
I am so glad I made this blog.
I would've never thought that random strangers from the internet would be so kind, so interested, and so nice to help me, give me reassurance, to tell me to stop worrying,
to even read through my long af posts is just like incredible.

I LOVE YOU GUYS.

Of course this wouldn't be complete without a cheesey quote :tongue:

Whether I will make a blog for next year, who knows.

Massive well done on your results!! You worked so hard for them, so you should be really proud of them. It's bee great reading you blog and seeing the work you've put in :smile: Good luck for A2
Congrats!!! I've been following your blog for a while and you've worked incredibly hard and are totally deserving of your grades :biggrin:
21/08/16 - UCAS
I thought I'd update you guys with what I am doing with my future.
I mean I am the most indecisive person in the world of course.
I thought it would be fair to end this blog with a little preview of what is to come!

The big question is what course I want to at University...

After stressing over the thought of maths & physics versus chemistry. I have come up with my UCAS entry pretty much
(tbh I already had a list sorted for either subjects aaaaaages ago which I found a few weeks ago lol).

UCAS 2017 Entry
Durham - Natural Sciences (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) [A*AA]
Imperial College - Chemistry with Molecular Physics [A*AA]
York - Chemistry [AAB]
Warwick - Chemistry [AAB]

Oxford - Chemistry [A*A*A]
I mean I much prefer Natural sciences but I have no chance with my Maths & FM average lol lets be real now.
So I'm gonna apply to Oxford just to see what happens. :awesome: at least I'll have a decent shot.
Plus rejection won't hurt too much since its Oxford :redface: dat pressure from my science teachers is great ngl.

lol typing all this up makes me feel a bit weird.
I have actually made a decision that I will stick to because I haven't got time to mess around.
Seriously. I want all this UCAS crap done by September.

My personal statement is very weird rn because I haven't done anything directly Chemistry.
I've tried to twist all the physics stuff I've done so hopefully that will be enough.
Hey Chemistry is just better physics right? :colondollar:

Why Chemistry you might ask?
Physics is great ngl but it has electronics which I detest.
And chemistry just uses all the maths & physics I like. Plus I get to cook stuff.

lol wth I'm i doing with my life. Everything will work out I hope.
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON RIGHT?!

Will I have a blog next year?
You know what. I think I will. Its like my outlet.:angry:
I should be predicted A*A*AA so that is what I'll be aiming for. :smile:
I've got a little plan for next year because its going to be a serious year lol
And I don't work with plans. I am literally the most disorganised person in the school.

Should be an intense start. I shall be utterly unstoppable :wink:
Efficiency is key. I can't just waste time on stupid homework that is useless.
A good test of whether I can handle it. I should be able to tbh.

I should have proper motivation for year 13 (proving my maths teacher wrong).
I like proving people wrong. I am very much a two finger scientist according to my research project supervisor lol
Tbf thats how I work, if I don't have an aim I get complacent very easily.
I'll have lots of pressure in year 13 which is good in the way that I'll procrastinate less (i hope!).

September - UCAS done, finish off C3 & start C4
October - do a C3 mock in school, finish off FP2, will start FP3 alongside
November - preparation for uni interviews - nail science, start learning M3
December - do FP2, C3 mocks in school, science mocks,

January - C4 mock, M3 mock, FP3 mock, decide on uni firm & insurance
February - hopefully mocks are okay or im ****ed lol
March - keep going little one...
April - we should start learning D1 around this time, should be okay with science
May & June - fun times
July - hey it SHOULD go better than AS right?

The rest of my summer...
Maths summer school next week and have a tiny taste of STEP lol
Finish off quantum dot and organic fluorophore essay & nuffield report by September.
Nail chapter 2 & 3 of FP2 as well and that should be half of the module done ish.
Do more C3 and I could actually finish it off by the 5th September if I use my time well.
Revise A level chem & physics (been like 3 months? lol) before I go back to school.

right i think thats my last post here. nothing really interesting to say anymore :colondollar:
good luck to everyone who has been reading this blog & thanks again :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
21/08/16 - UCAS
I thought I'd update you guys with what I am doing with my future.
I mean I am the most indecisive person in the world of course.
I thought it would be fair to end this blog with a little preview of what is to come!

The big question is what course I want to at University...

After stressing over the thought of maths & physics versus chemistry. I have come up with my UCAS entry pretty much
(tbh I already had a list sorted for either subjects aaaaaages ago which I found a few weeks ago lol).

UCAS 2017 Entry
Durham - Natural Sciences (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) [A*AA]
Imperial College - Chemistry with Molecular Physics [A*AA]
York - Chemistry [AAB]
Warwick - Chemistry [AAB]

Oxford - Chemistry [A*A*A]
I mean I much prefer Natural sciences but I have no chance with my Maths & FM average lol lets be real now.
So I'm gonna apply to Oxford just to see what happens. :awesome: at least I'll have a decent shot.
Plus rejection won't hurt too much since its Oxford :redface: dat pressure from my science teachers is great ngl.

lol typing all this up makes me feel a bit weird.
I have actually made a decision that I will stick to because I haven't got time to mess around.
Seriously. I want all this UCAS crap done by September.

My personal statement is very weird rn because I haven't done anything directly Chemistry.
I've tried to twist all the physics stuff I've done so hopefully that will be enough.
Hey Chemistry is just better physics right? :colondollar:

Why Chemistry you might ask?
Physics is great ngl but it has electronics which I detest.
And chemistry just uses all the maths & physics I like. Plus I get to cook stuff.

lol wth I'm i doing with my life. Everything will work out I hope.
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON RIGHT?!

Will I have a blog next year?
You know what. I think I will. Its like my outlet.:angry:
I should be predicted A*A*AA so that is what I'll be aiming for. :smile:
I've got a little plan for next year because its going to be a serious year lol
And I don't work with plans. I am literally the most disorganised person in the school.

Should be an intense start. I shall be utterly unstoppable :wink:
Efficiency is key. I can't just waste time on stupid homework that is useless.
A good test of whether I can handle it. I should be able to tbh.

I should have proper motivation for year 13 (proving my maths teacher wrong).
I like proving people wrong. I am very much a two finger scientist according to my research project supervisor lol
Tbf thats how I work, if I don't have an aim I get complacent very easily.
I'll have lots of pressure in year 13 which is good in the way that I'll procrastinate less (i hope!).

September - UCAS done, finish off C3 & start C4
October - do a C3 mock in school, finish off FP2, will start FP3 alongside
November - preparation for uni interviews - nail science, start learning M3
December - do FP2, C3 mocks in school, science mocks,

January - C4 mock, M3 mock, FP3 mock, decide on uni firm & insurance
February - hopefully mocks are okay or im ****ed lol
March - keep going little one...
April - we should start learning D1 around this time, should be okay with science
May & June - fun times
July - hey it SHOULD go better than AS right?

The rest of my summer...
Maths summer school next week and have a tiny taste of STEP lol
Finish off quantum dot and organic fluorophore essay & nuffield report by September.
Nail chapter 2 & 3 of FP2 as well and that should be half of the module done ish.
Do more C3 and I could actually finish it off by the 5th September if I use my time well.
Revise A level chem & physics (been like 3 months? lol) before I go back to school.

right i think thats my last post here. nothing really interesting to say anymore :colondollar:
good luck to everyone who has been reading this blog & thanks again :smile:

Amazing course, amazing choices and amazing objectives. Very well done on your organisation - you will go far!
Please keep us updated!
ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME GET AN A* IN MY SCIENCE ISA
AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE 2016 FURTHER ADDITIONAL ISA PAPER FOR ALL TL3 SCIENCES
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice results :biggrin: congratulations.
FP1 exam was hard :biggrin: I remember all my friends crying after that exam lol. You did so well in M1 93 UMS wow! Good luck for A2 and help me on M1 =DDDDD (when I do it) please
Hey I'm taking the same subjects but my exam board is Edexcel. I am looking forward for my AS-level exams in the May/June 2017 exam session. So excited about it but I also have a hard time revising. I would like to get a few revision tips and ur results for FP1 and M1 are great. I am nervous about the exams. Is it hard when compared to the IGCSE exams(or GCSE)? I got a raw UMS mark of 95/100 in my Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics A exam.
Near raw full marks in Maths and Further Maths?! You should be really proud of yourself. You've inspired me a bit tbh. What are you hoping for in A2 and have you got any university ambitions?
Brilliant work x

I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

My AS level journey to 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry...
(Aiming for 85%+ in further maths - I had to force my way into doing it because my school doesn't teach it. With only a few hours a week worth of further maths lessons if I achieve this I’d be so proud of myself! :smile:)

RESULTS DAY POST - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67046826&postcount=254
A LEVEL BLOG (YEAR 13) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4469218&page=2

Background info
GCSEs 10A*s (highest in school - comprehensive)
What motivated me for my GCSEs
In year 9 I got the feeling that my maths and some science teachers thought I was hopeless.
Moments that made me realise that you can achieve anything you set your mind on...
When my chemistry teacher accused me of cheating (lol first time I revised for once :colonhash:, although it was more like self teaching as my gcse lessons were pretty crap)
and when I scored the lowest in my maths set.
Don't let anyone get you down!
I managed to get the highest in the year in GCSE maths (86%) considering only a few scraped an A*.

Career aspirations I just want to discover things that no one else has discovered.
University courses - Stuck between understanding the universe and the world around us with physics, making cool stuff with material science or create drugs with chemistry.

Aspirational goals: Hoping to get 90%+UMS in Maths & Further Maths

DREAM GOAL: 80% raw marks in new spec chemistry & physics. They don't have UMS unfortunately.

My main source of motivation
Don’t let the teachers down or myself down & make my parents really proud!
Music, tea and a homework-free mind is all I need to get into the productive mood.

I’d be so happy if I managed to get AAAA.
I believe that hard work and sheer dedication can get you anywhere!

My main aim is that I want this to (possibly) inspire others and obviously motivate me to do some work every day.
It will also be a little place to share new things that I have learnt.

Just a little note…

Spoiler

--------------

Exam boards and maths modules…
AQA Maths AS modules C1, C2, S1
AQA Further Maths AS modules FP1, M1, M2
AQA Physics & Chemistry AS

My December mock results

Spoiler

My March projected grades

Spoiler

SPECIMEN PAPERS FOR NEW AS SCIENCE

Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 1 - 86% (A)
Highest in the class
Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 2 - DID NOT DO IT

Chemistry 2015 specimen (online) paper 1 - DID NOT DO IT
Chemistry 2015 specimen (online) paper 2 - DID NOT DO IT

Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 1 - 60% 48/80 (C)
Highest in the class.
Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 2 - 79% () 63/80 (B)

Physics set 2 specimen paper 1 - 66% 46/70 (C)
In the top end of my the class.
Physics set 2 specimen paper 2 - probably 67% 47/70 (C)

Physics set 1 specimen paper 1 - DID NOT DO IT
Physics set 1 specimen paper 2 - 76% (B) 53/70

THE GRAND PLAN
(numbered in order of priority) - I probably won’t stick to it but we will see...
(Green = done/in process of doing, Red= need to do/start)

Spoiler

too many A*'s for me >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending