The Student Room Group

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)

Scroll to see replies

Homework done for chemistry and another Chemistry past paper done today since my teacher is giving us past papers regularly now for homework :/
This one went a bit better I think.

Also I have new folders yay and fancy dividers so the coming February half term will be very productive indeed! I aim to organise myself before Monday since I have millions of sheets everywhere stuffed in random folders.
I plan to rewrite my notes onto some nice new paper as well, and put them into my new folders so everything looks pretty.

Done plenty of hard-ish momentum questions today as well.
Currently skimming through some C1 papers for a mock I have soon. Fingers crossed for full marks!
I always drop some due to silly arithmetic errors so this time I plan to check my answers thoroughly.
I hope you spend as much time on your studies as you did on posting this
09/02/16 - taking a break today from work.
Tomorrow night and Thursday night I plan to revise inorganic and organic chemistry.

Done a C1 paper today and I think I've dropped 3 marks so 72/75.
I have done worse in this compared to the mock I done in December for C1 (73/75):colondollar:
Note to self - actually explain why the quadratic is un-factorisable, giving no real roots rather than just stating it.:angry:
And line of symmetry of a quadratic is x=something not y=something. :angry: I feel so stupid.
11/02/16 - half term beckons
Chemistry test tomorrow on some inorganic and organic chem.
Just wrote out notes today, feeling quite confident :smile:
I nearly fell asleep after reading them, maybe my brain knows it all and is getting bored :colonhash:
Fingers crossed I'll do well in it and maybe that will give me some sort of optimism going forward during the half term with revision.
I plan to prioritise physics next week especially on the topics of waves and electricity.

Plus whizz through plenty of C1 papers to fill my pretty spreadsheet up and possibly self teach the rest of C2 so I can get started with past papers for them as well.

96 DAYS TILL MY FIRST EXAM - 18/05/16 AQA MPC1
Good luck with everything Pentaquark... I agree that hard work and determination will allow you to succeed.
14/02/16 - Maths mock result update - 74/75 :colondollar: I guess he is being nice to me. (This is C1 btw)

Maths - need to self teach the rest of C2 and start past papers :angry:
Done quite a lot of the AQA C1 papers with an average UMS of 98, and average mark of 73.
Not all of them since I want to save a few to do right before the exam.

Further Maths - Spent valentines day doing mechanics :tongue: actually quite enjoyable if I do say so myself.
Done plenty of difficult questions on connected particles and using the
Understanding Mechanics book by by A. J. Sadler and D. W. S. Thorning
I really like it so far as it has some challenging questions.
~ 21:45 - 22:30
Just done my first full m1 paper and managed 71/75 (95%) - 93 UMS - an okay score:tongue:
Slightly rushed it done it in roughly 45 minutes because I want to go to bed.
Even if I did spend the remaining 45 minutes checking it I don't think I would have gotten 75 anyway :angry:
Probably spending tomorrow just doing some more M1 & C1 papers and get closer to that pesky 75 :angry:

Physics - planning to focus on physics from Tuesday since I've been neglecting it. In class we are doing mechanics and because I'm doing m1 in maths, I can afford to relax a bit :colondollar:
I dont even understand waves so I intend to self teach that before the half term finished (hopefully).

Chemistry - I need to make mind maps for chemistry and finish off notes for alkenes, alcohols and organic analysis.
Plus do a few past paper questions from other exam boards to check my understanding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Been out today so I haven't been able to do any work but I'll try and make up for it now by doing some c1 papers and projectiles questions in the understanding mechanics book.

Plus organise my stuff and start writing up full notes for my new folders.
16/02/16 - Tuesday (2nd day of half term) - 92 days left till first exam
A little exam timetable and a possible plan on what I may be focusing on during exam season. I made it on microsoft word on this lovely template I found on calendars!
Exams don't seem too bad and I have some nice spaces in between my further maths exams yay

Spoiler

Thoughts & feelings - tired but motivated-ish.
I feel rather unprepared for my exams right now. I haven't even started learning M2 :frown:
I only feel confident with C1 & physical chemistry.
What I like to do when I am tired and force myself to revise... (bold mind mappy stuff)

Spoiler

For me personally what I think is most effective for me is to really try and focus on taking it in by saying stuff out loud, teaching myself and visualising things.

This takes a lot of effort and I tend to use this between exams or in the run up to exams due to pressure. It makes sense to try and do this consistently but I need to have a clear mind for it and be really motivated.

But when I am rather tired, I prefer to just make pretty notes and this way I also force my mind to condense and organise my information together onto one page.

Nearer to exam time I will probably record myself saying stuff and I can listen to my horrid voice every night before I go to bed :colondollar: so I nail exam technique by making sure I word things right using the correct terminology. I have never tried this but I reckon its worth a try!

What I have done today
Maths -
Further Maths -
Chemistry - started making mind map-ish bold notes.
Physics -

What I plan to do today
Maths - do Jan & June 2009 AQA C1 papers
Further Maths - do June 2011 AQA M1 paper
Chemistry - finish making mind map type revision on physical chemistry
Physics - watch some waves videos on
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7CB4779284463F41
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow, best of luck. Wish I had some of your motivation.
18/02/16 - Thursday (4th day of half term) - 90 days left till first exam

Thoughts & feelings - determined
Been thinking about universities and looked at through a few courses today as well prospectuses.
Cambridge (phys.natsci) and Imperial (theoretical physics and Chemistry with Molecular Physics) look pretty amazing :colondollar: lets hope I get 4As so I can have some sort of chance.
I haven't been able to do much work today since I was busy with other things today.
I will make up for it tomorrow. I plan to dedicate Friday to physics!

Update on yesterday
C1 JAN 2009 - 75/75 Hallelujah.:biggrin:
C1 JUNE 2009 - 75/75 YAY
M1 JUNE 2011 - 68/75 :frown: 89 UMS
messed up suvat vectors - need to improve on this.

What I have done today
Maths -
Further Maths - completed June 2012 M1 paper 69/75 :frown: but surprisingly 95 UMS so I have improved in terms of UMS
Messed up on 6 marker - Find the speed of the particle when it is travelling south-east.
v=u + at sub in vectors and put into i & j form.
i=-(j)
solve for t, sub in t into v and work out speed by using Pythagoras.
Chemistry -
Physics -
I think Will from the Inbetweeners sums me up right now ...
https://youtu.be/PuwoGMCEUO0
I think I am going to start watching videos for waves as I barely understand the aqa physics textbook.
Lets hope I understand everything by the end of today...

Leaning towards doing chemistry or materials in the future bc I dont understand waves or even electricity. :frown:
Well i do understand bits but i dont feel confident in them at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Update for today - given up:angry: on physics
I have made no progress whatsoever.
It is literally a waste of time trying to revise physics.
I am going to focus on maths, further maths and chemistry this week.

What I plan to do tonight
I am planning to go through 2 edexcel unit 1 chemistry papers checking my answers with the mark scheme as I do each question to be more efficient and make notes on the questions I get wrong.
Catch up on two FMSP M2 lectures
Self teach sequences and series by watching examsolutions and then start a few edexcel c1 papers
Possibly go through an old AQA M1 paper if I have time.
Hi, nice blog! :smile: I hate the waves topic of physics as well. Have you tried revising waves using a cgp revision guide? They make the topic much more understandable, unlike the textbooks.

Best of luck!
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi, nice blog! :smile: I hate the waves topic of physics as well. Have you tried revising waves using a cgp revision guide? They make the topic much more understandable, unlike the textbooks.

Best of luck!

Ahh thank you!
Nope I haven't got any CGP revision guides :frown:
I am kinda broke right now but once I have some money I will definitely buy one seeing as a lot of people I know say its brilliant. I never really thought of buying them since I hated them for GCSE :colondollar:
Original post by Pentaquark
Ahh thank you!
I am kinda broke right now but once I have some money I will definitely buy one seeing as a lot of people I know say its brilliant. I never really thought of buying them since I hated them for GCSE :colondollar:

I wasn't realy a fan of them tbh, imo they simplify too much. What part of physics are you struggling on?
Original post by samb1234
I wasn't realy a fan of them tbh, imo they simplify too much. What part of physics are you struggling on?

Waves & electricity.
I just look at exam questions and have barely have no idea on what to do.
I can do the easy ones but the ones where you have to think and actually understand waves is what I am struggling on. Like I watched a video of a man going through exam questions and it just seems quite easy but obviously when I try to do some myself I just have a brain freeze. I just don't feel confident on them at all and apply my knowledge. Maybe it will start to click nearer to exams which is what I am hoping for :colondollar:

For electricity I just feel like I am just plugging in numbers in equations and hoping that I get the right answer. Its not like maths where I know I have got it right if that makes sense.
Waves & electricity.
I just look at exam questions and have barely have no idea on what to do.
I can do the easy ones but the ones where you have to think and actually understand waves is what I am struggling on. Like I watched a video of a man going through exam questions and it just seems quite easy but obviously when I try to do some myself I just have a brain freeze. I just don't feel confident on them at all and apply my knowledge. Maybe it will start to click nearer to exams which is what I am hoping for :colondollar:

For electricity I just feel like I am just plugging in numbers in equations and hoping that I get the right answer. Its not like maths where I know I have got it right if that makes sense.

What sort of question do you mean by a hard waves question? And regarding electricity no one really likes them, you just need to keep practicing until you get a better feel for them, i never liked electricity when i did it last year but I got to a point where the questions they asked me in the exam were all answerable
Ahh thank you!

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of them for GCSE either but the A-level ones are certainly more mature.

Btw for electricity, a really helpful thing to do is to write a list of all the values you are given at the side of the question (for example Q=5, T=30 etc) and write a question mark next to values that you don't know. Doing this helps you to know which equation will be the best to use :smile:
Original post by samb1234
What sort of question do you mean by a hard waves question? And regarding electricity no one really likes them, you just need to keep practicing until you get a better feel for them, i never liked electricity when i did it last year but I got to a point where the questions they asked me in the exam were all answerable

http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_level_past_papers/Jun05/AQA-PA04B-W-QP-JUN05.PDF
Take question 1 for example, I just wouldn't know what to say first.
Or the phase or path difference questions I find difficult.
http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_level_past_papers/Jan05/AQA-PA04-A-W-QP-JAN05.PDF
Actually skimming through some of the questions on the more recent papers don't seem too bad.
I can't really explain. I guess with practice it will all start to make complete sense :s-smilie:
Also do you know of any like banks of old questions for electricity? Instead of having to trawl through old past papers. I don't want to do recent questions as I want to save them.
http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_level_past_papers/Jun05/AQA-PA04B-W-QP-JUN05.PDF
Take question 1 for example, I just wouldn't know what to say first.
Or the phase or path difference questions I find difficult.
http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_level_past_papers/Jan05/AQA-PA04-A-W-QP-JAN05.PDF
Actually skimming through some of the questions on the more recent papers don't seem too bad.
I can't really explain. I guess with practice it will all start to make complete sense :s-smilie:
Also do you know of any like banks of old questions for electricity? Instead of having to trawl through old past papers. I don't want to do recent questions as I want to save them.

I'll have a look at those questions in a minute, for past paper questions on topics go to physicsandmathstutor physics revision question by topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending