The Student Room Group

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)

Scroll to see replies

23/02/16 - 85 days...
Thoughts & feelings - quite relaxed
Whoop got my results back for these two tests I done before half term.
Chem1 paper back - 64/70 so 91%!!! (A)
Organic and inorganic test - 51/62 so 82% (A)
I feel rather relaxed today. I have no real homework for tomorrow.
I am going to do a study session with some people on tsr on skype tonight.
25/02/16 - no homework!

Yes no homework needed to be done tonight for tomorrow.
Went out to a football match today so no work done.

Thoughts and feelings -
I wish I was more confident and not worry so much about what others think. I wish I would stop feeling as I am not good enough all the time. I feel like an utter fruad sometimes when people praise me. Even when I get tests back with good marks I dont really feel happy with myself. Not truly.
Its such a crap attitude to have but that is just the way I am.

I need to learn to not care about things more but I feel as if I need to work hard to keep up my reputation and not be 'found out' if that makes sense. That is why I am considering of transferring elsewhere for year 13.
I probably wont end up moving but I am certainly thinking about it. The only thing stopping me is what people will think about it especially my friends and close teachers. See again I am worrying far too much about others and not myself. :frown:
Ah well, again, just ignore me and my silly brain. Everything will work out in the end I guess.

Tomorrow I plan to do all the questions in the matrices chapter in FP1 textbook.
Plus finish making flashcards of from my notes for chemistry.
(edited 8 years ago)
26/02/16 - relaxing again
I don't want to burn myself out so I am planning to relax as much as I can before the Easter holidays. Obviously I will be still be doing work come March but it won't be full on hardcore revision. I plan to do that for Easter :colondollar:

How I am feeling for all my subjects (ordered from most confident to least confident)...

1. Maths -
I have not started any C2 past papers yet but judging by the exam questions we are given in class and for homework, I am sure it will be quite easy. I feel very confident in getting an A for AS Maths but ideally I would like near full UMS in it, so plenty of past paper practice over the next few months.

3. Chemistry -
everything is going pretty well :smile: In class I find it pretty easy going and I've done revision notes on nearly everything.

I haven't made detailed notes for everything because I think its a bit of an overkill personally. Plus I need to be more efficient and more confident in myself, rather than type up notes that cover every single thing that could come up - I should be able to work little things like that from the basic principles and concepts.

Hence the mind map type revision I have been doing and condensing them down into flashcards.
I really like making the mind map sort of revision rather than just having bullet points of information as it forces me to organise information in a clear manner and of course it is a much faster way to cover things in my opinion.

2. Further maths - not so confident.
Seeing as I only have a few hours a week of it, I would have expected to have pretty much finished FPQ, M1 starting M2 in March.
But we have only finished M1 and only a few chapters into FP1 (half way through matrix transformations).

I have constantly said to myself to self teach the rest of FP1 so I can focus on M2 which is meant to be a lot harder than M1 since its an A2 module. But I haven't got round to it :frown:
I plan to start whizzing through FP1 and get it finished before mid March.

It is so annoying that my school doesn't offer further maths and one of my maths teachers has always pushed me to go elsewhere ever since GCSE to get the best teaching possible and to carry on doing well.

Whilst at the time it was slightly annoying as it felt like he didnt want me to be in A level class, I kind of understand his point now.
In the little lessons i have for further maths provided by the support network it is not that challenging at all.
It has been far too slow for my liking.
Ah well there is nothing I can do about it and I guess I have to be grateful I even get some lessons for it. Plus we get cake and chocolate in lessons!

Hopefully I can get pretty high UMS in it as I want to carry it on for next year. Espcially in M2, it would be so sweet to get an A* in that module. :colondollar: a chance to get a pretty star :tongue:

Physics -
I CANT BRING MYSELF TO REVISE IT :frown: i dont know why but i just don't want to revise it. Tomorrow i plan to revise Quantum and waves. Well as much of as I can.
It shouldn't take as long as chemistry as its less content but more understanding.
But I will be doing plenty of questions for it.

Hopefully when I go to Oxford for the physics study day it will motivate me so much.
We are going at a okay pace in lessons so I am not worrying about not covering the content in time but it would be nice if it was a tad quicker :tongue:

Currently i am looking at some UKMT questions just for fun whilst I am relaxing :redface:
Its the Ten Years of Mathematical Challenges 1997 to 2006 if anyone wants to know.
I certainly don't feel guilty not doing any as level work tonight. :tongue:
In school I also managed complete a few matrices exercises in my free yay
27/02/16 - 81 days left...
I haven't been able to do any work today
So I plan to make up for it now and tomorrow. Yes I know I said I would revise as much of physics as I can today but it hasn't happened :angry:

Currently organising my stuff and will either definitely make notes for waves by midnight.
Or start compiling questions together from different exam boards into topics.
EDIT: actually I've changed my mind and will not be doing that as it would be a waste of time I think. I would rather just go through papers and do the questions when the time is right rather than put them all together into one big word document. I should be spending my time more wisely and start my physics notes.

I kinda hope that I go into panic mode as I tend to take more things in when I am stressed and under pressure :colondollar:

But obviously that isn't healthy and hopefully I will feel rather confident for all my exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
28/02/16 - thinking about life
I don't even know what I want to do any more.
When people ask me what I want to do or what universities I want to go to, I feel so uncomfortable.
I even feel rather embarrassed to say that I want to go to all the top unis.
I don't feel like I am worthy enough to say stuff like I want to go to Cambridge or even Durham.

I've always had in my head that I wanted to do something mathsy but not maths and I liked science so physics was a natural option for me. I like trying to understand how things work and the satisfaction of "ahhh yes it makes sense" is something that I want to experience daily. And well physics fits that nicely :colondollar: who doesn't want to try and understand the entire universe?! But currently I am moving ever so closer towards something like chemistry or materials or even chemical engineering. Why? I don't quite know tbf. Just not feeling physics right now.
I am so indecisive. Soon I will have to decide what I am doing for A2 next year and even that scares me.

I just want time to fly by because then I'll have to make a decision and it will be all over and done with.
I just want to go to university to learn more things :colondollar: I am not quite sure what I want to learn.
I am not going university purely to get a degree and get a good job.
That pretty much sums me up.
Whilst going through the process of UCAS is quite far away, I can't help but wonder where the hell I am going to end up in the future.
haha as you can see this grow your grades is slowly going to turn into a little diary of my random thoughts.
with the way its going you will probably see me slowly descend into insanity nearer to exams.:colondollar:

ANYWAY....
I have managed to cover 10 sides of plain A4 paper with some physics revision for mainly electricity.
I have done a bit on particles and particle interactions.
Not much but you know every little helps. :frown:
Easter is just going to be hell for me. But its still going to be better than being in school.:tongue: Can't bloody wait.

I PROMISE I WILL DO LOADS OF WORK NEXT WEEK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pentaquark
28/02/16 - thinking about life
I don't even know what I want to do any more.
When people ask me what I want to do or what universities I want to go to, I feel so uncomfortable.
I even feel rather embarrassed to say that I want to go to all the top unis.
I don't feel like I am worthy enough to say stuff like I want to go to Cambridge or even Durham.

I've always had in my head that I wanted to do something mathsy but not maths and I liked science so physics was a natural option for me. I like trying to understand how things work and the satisfaction of "ahhh yes it makes sense" is something that I want to experience daily. And well physics fits that nicely :colondollar: who doesn't want to try and understand the entire universe?! But currently I am moving ever so closer towards something like chemistry or materials or even chemical engineering. Why? I don't quite know tbf. Just not feeling physics right now.
I am so indecisive. Soon I will have to decide what I am doing for A2 next year and even that scares me.

I just want time to fly by because then I'll have to make a decision and it will be all over and done with.
I just want to go to university to learn more things :colondollar: I am not quite sure what I want to learn.
I am not going university purely to get a degree and get a good job.
That pretty much sums me up.
Whilst going through the process of UCAS is quite far away, I can't help but wonder where the hell I am going to end up in the future.
haha as you can see this grow your grades is slowly going to turn into a little diary of my random thoughts.
with the way its going you will probably see me slowly descend into insanity nearer to exams.:colondollar:

ANYWAY....
I have managed to cover 10 sides of plain A4 paper with some physics revision for mainly electricity.
I have done a bit on particles and particle interactions.
Not much but you know every little helps. :frown:
Easter is just going to be hell for me. But its still going to be better than being in school.:tongue: Can't bloody wait.

I PROMISE I WILL DO LOADS OF WORK NEXT WEEK.

I really admire that drive to succeed, get the best possible results and go for the top unis, keep that momentum going!! If worst comes to worst and you dont get the grades you wanted then at least you know you tried your best, the worst and most heartbreaking thing is to get bad results and having regrets that you should have tried harder (plus you got to put up with resits). Don't be one of those people!!
29/02/15 - boring Mondays
got some chemistry homework due in tomorrow but its drawing a graph so I'll do that in school.
other than that I haven't got anything else that I need to do tonight yay

WHAT HAVE I DONE TODAY -
Further Maths - I have managed to finish reading the matrix transformation chapter and some asymptote stuff in FP1.
I spent my whole two hour free period doing this. :colondollar:

Now I am trying to go through some Edexcel M1 papers because I don't want to waste those precious AQA ones.
I am planning on the weekend coming to have a full on examsolutions on speed day to basically finish FP1 before March so I can start past papers.
(edited 8 years ago)
26/02/16 - relaxing again
I don't want to burn myself out so I am planning to relax as much as I can before the Easter holidays. Obviously I will be still be doing work come March but it won't be full on hardcore revision. I plan to do that for Easter :colondollar:

How I am feeling for all my subjects (ordered from most confident to least confident)...

1. Maths -
I have not started any C2 past papers yet but judging by the exam questions we are given in class and for homework, I am sure it will be quite easy. I feel very confident in getting an A for AS Maths but ideally I would like near full UMS in it, so plenty of past paper practice over the next few months.

3. Chemistry -
everything is going pretty well :smile: In class I find it pretty easy going and I've done revision notes on nearly everything.

I haven't made detailed notes for everything because I think its a bit of an overkill personally. Plus I need to be more efficient and more confident in myself, rather than type up notes that cover every single thing that could come up - I should be able to work little things like that from the basic principles and concepts.

Hence the mind map type revision I have been doing and condensing them down into flashcards.
I really like making the mind map sort of revision rather than just having bullet points of information as it forces me to organise information in a clear manner and of course it is a much faster way to cover things in my opinion.

2. Further maths - not so confident.
Seeing as I only have a few hours a week of it, I would have expected to have pretty much finished FPQ, M1 starting M2 in March.
But we have only finished M1 and only a few chapters into FP1 (half way through matrix transformations).

I have constantly said to myself to self teach the rest of FP1 so I can focus on M2 which is meant to be a lot harder than M1 since its an A2 module. But I haven't got round to it :frown:
I plan to start whizzing through FP1 and get it finished before mid March.

It is so annoying that my school doesn't offer further maths and one of my maths teachers has always pushed me to go elsewhere ever since GCSE to get the best teaching possible and to carry on doing well.

Whilst at the time it was slightly annoying as it felt like he didnt want me to be in A level class, I kind of understand his point now.
In the little lessons i have for further maths provided by the support network it is not that challenging at all.
It has been far too slow for my liking.
Ah well there is nothing I can do about it and I guess I have to be grateful I even get some lessons for it. Plus we get cake and chocolate in lessons!

Hopefully I can get pretty high UMS in it as I want to carry it on for next year. Espcially in M2, it would be so sweet to get an A* in that module. :colondollar: a chance to get a pretty star :tongue:

Physics -
I CANT BRING MYSELF TO REVISE IT :frown: i dont know why but i just don't want to revise it. Tomorrow i plan to revise Quantum and waves. Well as much of as I can.
It shouldn't take as long as chemistry as its less content but more understanding.
But I will be doing plenty of questions for it.

Hopefully when I go to Oxford for the physics study day it will motivate me so much.
We are going at a okay pace in lessons so I am not worrying about not covering the content in time but it would be nice if it was a tad quicker :tongue:

Currently i am looking at some UKMT questions just for fun whilst I am relaxing :redface:
Its the Ten Years of Mathematical Challenges 1997 to 2006 if anyone wants to know.
I certainly don't feel guilty not doing any as level work tonight. :tongue:
In school I also managed complete a few matrices exercises in my free yay

I got 93 in M1:tongue:, good luck! Just do all the past papers available and check Arsey's website for last minute revision tips on the day before your exam. There was a formulae you had to learn for calculating forces exerted on a pulley, which I never knew about, which I stumbled across on his tsr thread and learnt the night before the exam. When I saw the very last question was worth 4 marks and required the use of that exact formulae, I was ecstatic!! 4 marks/8 ums in the bag!!! which I would have certainly lost if it wasn't for Arsey:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I got 93 in M1:tongue:, good luck! Just do all the past papers available and check Arsey's website for last minute revision tips on the day before your exam. There was a formulae you had to learn for calculating forces exerted on a pulley, which I never knew about, which I stumbled across it on his tsr thread and learnt the night before the exam. When I saw the very last question was worth 4 marks and required the use of that exact formulae, I was ecstatic!! 4 marks/8 ums in the bag!!! which I would have lost if it wasn't for Arsey:biggrin:

Thank you!! I definitely will be doing loads of papers for mechanics :smile:
What is the website?
Thank you!! I definitely will be doing loads of papers for mechanics :smile:
What is the website?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2691672
Thats it👍
01/03/16 -
No homework for tomorrow so relatively happy.

I haven't done any work for a levels but apart from browsing tsr, I have attempted some problem solving type maths questions.

In my school we never do any sort of problem solving. Unless you count as level maths questions in the textbook to be the problem solving type.
I find my maths lessons rather unchallenging and when it comes to more wordy problem solving questions I tend to have a mini brain freeze with them due to lack of exposure of the sort.

So I am planning to preoccupy myself with a few problems a day and hopefully slowly build up my confidence in tackling them :smile:
Plus it will probably help develop some mathematical thinking skills as well which is handy.

Tomorrow I will probably complete an M1 paper in exam conditions in school.
(edited 8 years ago)
02/03/16 - homework but I'll do it in my frees tomorrow
I have been procrastinating too much this week!!!
Ah well I am not to bothered as I know I'll make up for it this weekend :smile:

I don't know why I feel so motivated on the weekends, probably because I don't have school to worry about.
Being in school is so demotivating for me.
When I get home I am so tired and I end up listening to music, browse tsr or have a little nap.
:colondollar: My state of my life right now ^

I didn't do the M1 paper in timed conditions, more like half whilst eating lunch and the other half whilst in lesson on the sly.
But anywayyyyy I got stuck on one question probably got around 69/75 again :/
hiya
I did exactly the same subjects and exam boards as you last year (year 12 AS) only difference being I did D1 for fm instead of M2. I got 4As and am looking to get 2A*'s and an A this year so if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask, you seem very committed so good luck 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
04/03/16 - need to hammer maths past papers!

So 75 days until my first exam.
This month I would like to do around 25 maths past papers (C1 & C2 & M1) ideally from other exam boards. I plan to use the AQA ones I haven't done for April/May.

Feeling rather pessimistic as per and procrastinated way too much today or should i say yesterday as its now 00:25 as I am typing this.
But I WILL NOT GIVE UP.
NEVER.

What I have done today -
Chemistry - homework on equilibrium constant which was quite difficult.
But I have to also do these other equilibrium questions which I will do this morning quickly in form time.:colondollar:

What I need to do after school -
Physics & maths homework so I have a free weekend to cover the entire waves section in physics properly.
Look how dedicated you are. Don't forget to eat and sleep. They're important too. That's quite a plan you have there. Well done for getting this far! Your motivation and dedication is going to take you places. Keep up the great work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
07/03/16 - parent's evening...

Projected: ABAA (maths, further maths, chemistry and physics)
:colonhash: Further maths teacher doesn't want to be too ambitious because we don't have proper lessons for it.
Maths - definitely on track for an A :tongue:
Chemistry - teacher expects a A :biggrin:
Physics - expects an A and nothing less haha thanks sir :colondollar:

What I need to improve on...
Need to be neater and less messy.
Keep going and don't over work myself leading up to exams.

ANYWAY PROGRESS UPDATE ---

Chemistry - Progress has been made with chemistry and I have pretty much completed my notes for AS Chemistry.
I plan to make notes for all the required practicals and perhaps even read around using chemguide (favourite website :colondollar:) making extra notes with that. Everything is going quite smoothly.

Physics - made mind map notes on electricity and waves
tonight I will do some exam practice on them :smile:

Further maths - self taught and nearly completed chapter 1 on M2 (moments)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE ALSO MADE A NICE MATHS SPREADSHEET THAT EVERYONE (who stalks this thread) CAN USE!!

It is based on 80% A, 70% B, etc and all papers out of 75.
It calculates your percentage and gives you a grade automatically :smile: So for anyone who is lazy like me can just input their mark in and wait for excel to do its magic. Also it has a UMS section if you want to add in UMS marks instead of raw and it also calculates a total average as well!

Please let me know if there are any problems with it as well :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
This is inspiring! Good luck of course, but with the hard work you're putting in I doubt you will need it. I do Higher Chemistry (Scottish student) so a little different, but have you got any tips on studying chemistry as a whole?
07/03/16 - parent's evening...

perhaps even read around using chemguide (favourite website :colondollar:) making extra notes with that.

Original post by MaiBr13
This is inspiring! Good luck of course, but with the hard work you're putting in I doubt you will need it. I do Higher Chemistry (Scottish student) so a little different, but have you got any tips on studying chemistry as a whole?

That pretty much answers your question
Original post by MaiBr13

chemguide for understanding and I like to use the textbook as well to make sure I've got all bases covered. I make notes from both :smile:

Sometimes I go on YouTube and binge watch Crashcourse Chemistry videos. I really like the pace he goes at and the cool animations.:colondollar:
https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
Maybe a few Tyler DeWitt videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/tdewitt451

But really I only watch chemistry YouTube videos for fun and I guess to "read around".
Usually the textbook and chemguide is more than enough for me in terms of covering the specification.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending