The Student Room Group

Brutally Honest: The A-Grade Procrastinator.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I made a to-do list today, it was :

Coursework - 1hr
spoken revision - 30 mins - 60mins (2 revision mind maps)
Print off PH6 papers (i printed every one possible!)
Do at least 2 PH6 papers
Go to Tutorial (physics)
Apply for Apprenticeship
Do Business Presentation.(i hadnt finished it from class!)

Ive done all but the apprenticeship one, so ill do that in a few minutes! I did one full PH6 and about 3 half PH6's and I believe that amounts to 2 full ones.

The full one I got just under 60% which is a C grade. I checked through it and I realised I hadnt read the question properly at all, which meant I lost a heck of a lot of marks. I also used the wrong units on the graph (metres instead of millimetres) which threw off a few marks even with the ecf (error carried forward). Im going to put it down to tiredness and stupid mistakes.

To put a nice positive spin on it, even when im not paying full attention I can get a C grade. Which although wont get me into either of the top unis ive applied for its a nice benchmark.

The tutorial was okay. Just went over Magnetic fields. It was essentially a class of about 6 people, so its a nice slow pace, specific to any problems I/we had.

As for the apprenticeship, Ive been trailing and eyeing it up for a while and the applications have just opened up. I do want to go to uni, but this was always a solid back-up plan that i'd put in place

D.
Honestly love your blog
Reply 42
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Honestly love your blog

Thanks man!
Reply 43
It's been a hectic week. Ive had both my practical exams and they went ok. The second one felt a lot better than the first but at least theyre done now!

I also finished my english coursework and handed it in on time! I'm gonna float my own boat, because I do have to say it was actually a really good piece of work. I'm usually horrendous with coursework, and I was initially with this piece of work but I managed to get another draft in and then got my super-brainy-going-to-be-a-professor-at-Oxford mate to check over it and give me some constructive criticism, so fingers crossed that's the A I've been hoping for!

I've now got to do my AS coursework, I should have written a story and transcript by monday night. I have had one draft of the story checked but I literally tried to cram a novel's worth of story into 1500 words...it didnt go too well :colondollar:

I still haven't chosen which uni, but I am now leaning towards Liverpool (purely on the basis that it has an Archery team :colondollar: & I can get home for under £10!)

I also now have a study buddy (of sorts). He's actually my neighbour so realistically I should have found him about 2 years earlier :biggrin: but anyhow we're working on that, so fingers crossed this works out for us both!

I also did another mock exam for English and I got a C. Naturally I felt like I'd failed, turns out that if I'd have literally written another page it would have been an A grade, so I need to work on speed (and a bit of grammar terminology too) and I'll be back around the A grades again!

...The physics on the other hand, I'm not sure of. I understand things but I'm understanding them so easily I'm now convinced I've learnt them wrong! I know from past experience if I'm finding Physics easy, then I'm not doing it right! :biggrin: but I plan to spend the weekend going over my notes and I'll learn it all correctly!

I'm currently still my business teacher's fave, but I've written 300 words (out of 5,000) on the report she set, so I might not be favourite for long!

D

PS - I applied for the apprenticeship :biggrin: just waiting to hear back from them!
Reply 44
I've just finished my Business Report - 2185 words. Its just over the minimum word allowance and is probably one of the worst pieces I've done, but it holds no credit and I've been working on actual coursework instead.

Ive practically finished my Story. I didnt know how to end it but I'm handing it in anyway. I should have the transcript by tonight and will complete the commentary for it over the holidays.

Revision is at gear 3 (ill explain later) so thats ok.

I also went to a physics tutorial yesterday, everyone in there was ahead of me in the course (they have a different teacher) but I managed to learn a lot and have caught up to them, meaning Im now ahead of my class. My teacher was impressed with me today and yesterday. I think I may have restored some faith in him and I seem to be on a B grade!

English has been good as well. I'm definitely on a B grade now. He's also quite impressed at the moment as well!

So overall Im doing ok. I havent snapped under the stress but I am definitely feeling it right now. I'm sure I'll be fine.

D
Reply 45
So I mentioned gears in my last post. This is a concept my mate came up with to gauge how well/efficiently we were working.

Gear 1 - No revision

Gear 2 - Between 20-60 minutes of revision (per night). Lots of messing around.

Gear 3 - 1-2 hours of revision (per night). Less messing around, a lot more serious. Starting to do Practice Essays/Questions.

Gear 4 - Minimum revision of 2 hours (per night). Quite serious.

Gear 5 - Minimum revision of 3 hours (per night). Very serious. Full past papers being completed.

(Though revision time during the holidays should be doubled ie Gear 2 in the holidays is 40-120 minutes, as I have more time and no lessons!)

Gear 5 is the maximum and is where I have to be by the end of Friday 1st April, if I have any chance of getting all A's this summer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Yesterday was bad. I usually take the first few days of a holiday to chill, its a hard habit to break. I managed to get Gear 2 though, through gritted teeth!

I essentially went over 2 physics topics (PH2: Matter & the universe. & PH4:Vibrations) in the basic manner. ie I went through the specification and answered almost everything.

Today I plan to go over my feeble attempt of revising those concepts, put them onto mindmaps and flash cards and do some past paper questions.
And by the end of today I want to be at minimum a confident grade D in both Matter & The Universe and Vibrations.

Overall I'm feeling more like a Gear 3 today.
So if I havent burnt out, I will also do a Gear 2 of both Business and English!

Donte
Reply 47
So a quick review. I didnt actually manage to do all set out above ^^ in terms of Physics (mindmaps etc). I definitely wasn't a Grade D in either subject.

BUT I did do some work! I somehow managed to jump from Gear 3 to Gear 5. I blitzed through an entire exam specification with no breaks (no seriously!) It took me hours, but i managed to look over the entire BUS1 spec, write it out onto post it notes and create a massive A1 (or A2 I'm not entirely sure!) mindmap. I completely burnt myself out and genuinely needed the entire of Easter Sunday to recover lol!

I also needed half of Monday too :colondollar:. Let's just say I will NOT be doing that again. My mates were genuinely concerned for my welfare and sanity after that! But it was definitely worth it because I now only have minimal revision to do to fill the gaps of knowledge.

Moving onto today:

I got up and caught the bus to college for 9! (I know Shock/Gasp/Horror!) I spent a few minutes messing around but I quickly get my head stuck into some business past papers (and printed many more off. I spent a bit of time trying to learn momentum concepts but it didn't work, so I tried to re-jig my English Coursework Story.

I then spent the entire afternoon (1pm-4pm) doing Physics in a tutorial (to my teacher's genuine shock!). We focused on PH2 (my physics resit) on:

Particles - leptons/baryons/mesons etc
Radiation from Stars - Wien's & Stefan's Laws etc

We went over the basic knowledge and then did past papers.

I am very proud to say I (as of this moment!) can confidently get B's & A's on both these topics!! :biggrin: :u::bl::groovy:

There are a few silly mistakes but so long as I can keep this level up, then that's a decent percentage (approx 20%) of my paper at A- grade standard!!!

Donte.
Reply 48
This is my exam timetable! Its actually beautiful :u:
Reply 49
So I keep flipping from a grade 2 to a grade 5, which isnt so good. Ive gotten a fair bit done over the last few days, past papers and such. The only issue is I took a break and logged into Netflix. BIG MISTAKE.I have an unusual tendency to watch bitchy tv shows. I found Gossip Girl. I think Im actually addicted. It's not good...:colondollar: :biggrin:

Today, In between binge watching half a season of Gossip Girl, I managed to do the entire of Operations Management (excluding Technology) that took approx 2.5hrs. I also went over half of B-Fields and then my mind broke.

Donte
Reply 50
Im back at college now. Revision is in full swing. Cant do an indepth review, gotta revise!

(i'll try and do a more detailed post either later today or by the end of the week!)
Love this blog! It's great to see how honest and positive you are :h:
Reply 52
Original post by Fox Corner
Love this blog! It's great to see how honest and positive you are :h:

Thanks! I reckon its the best way to be!

This is longer than I anticipated so:
TL;DR - Im doing okay, Im revising, Ive done my coursework and I'm on track!

So today I handed in my final pieces of coursework. The shock on my teacher's face was hilarious, he was expecting me to be the last with the least amount of work. I actually handed in:
Story - 1094 words (1100 absolute max)
Story Commentary 816 words (825 absolute max)
Transcript (no word count)
Transcript Commentary 1410 (1350 absolute min and 1650 absolute max) - I know this one seems like its lacking but I couldn't do another 100 words without repeating things and therefore lowering the overall grade.

Anyway its done YAAAY! Now its complete focus on the exams! I got my official timetable through (I knew the dates but not the times) the first three exams:

Business 1, Business 2 and Physics 2(Resit) are in the afternoon. Which is a relief as I can adequately revise an hour and a half before a business exam and almost guarantee an A grade. But Im not getting cocky and complacent as I have done in the past (almost always leading to my downfall).
I WILL revise properly in the now 28 days until Bus1 and the 33 days until Bus2. (Which I have already started doing!!)

It's handy for the physics as my amazing physics tutor will probably run a revision session in the morning and sort out any issues.

The last 3 exams: English 4, Physics 4, and Physics 5 are all early mornings. I'm not disheartened though because I have literally a fortnight of solid physics so hopefully I'll be fully prepared!

As for the English, now I dont have to worry about any coursework pieces its relearning the correct terms and speeding up my writing so I can ensure I get 4 sides written. The quantity of work is proportional to the marks, I can get a solid C (sometimes a high C) with 2 sides - which equates to around 20 marks. If I write twice as much of the same quality writing I'll get around 40 marks ie full marks. The quality of my writing is reasonable, Im not entirely sure how feasable it is to improve it so drastically that in 2 sides I'd manage to get an A/A*. So the game plan is write just as well, but faster whilst ensuring its still legible!

Revision has been a little skittish the last few days Ive had a business mock and an English one. My physics one is next week. The business seemed okay but I felt I'd overwritten questions and my timings were way off! As for the English I managed to write nearly 3 sides, so better than my last attempt, but not quite where I need to be. I also think some of my terminology was incorrect, which means that I've lost marks. ON the brighter side, its a mock. And its given me the opportunity to realise my pitfalls before the actual exams!

Revision today:

A whole lotta physics. After I handed in my coursework I came home to chill. Dont ask me how but I ended up under a blanket with my nose in a physics textbook! For approx 3hrs!! I know its actually scary!! My mum nearly feinted lol! I did a PH5 past paper and got over 90%, majority was off the top of my head but I did consult my books and notes on a few things that were completely alien to me. I then did my Physics homework - I think I might be ill! I havent done any type of homework in so long, especially not Physics! Cant wait to see the shock on my teacher's face when I hand it in EARLY tomorrow!

What to work on: Fields (in general!) and General PH5 revision for next weeks mock!

Yours
Donte :P
Reply 53
Another catch up.

TL;DR : Firmed my unis, (1st:Liverpool, 2nd:ARU). Been revising, but not a lot today. Had 2 mocks, don't think I've done so well, but that wont stop me. Made new revision timetable, looks kinda scary, but is necessary! :smile:

Well I've been doing quite well. I've realised that I cannot compromise a social life and good grades, so the social life is really being put on the back burner. I've physically moved away from friends and "our table" in the library because I'm incapable of doing any real work. (even with headphones in!). It's also rather annoying that most of my friends dont ever seem to be revising, yet I have my head stuck in books 24/7 almost.Granted some of them may only need passing grades, whereas I need A's but still!

I firmed my UCAS:

Firm: University of Liverpool - Business Management & Chinese (3yrs / 4yrs with year in China) - AA (in Physics and English)
Insurance: Anglia Ruskin University - International Business (Fast Track) (2yr degree with semester abroad) =280 points

Today I had 2 mocks. I wasnt really prepared for them, the senior managers thrust them upon us only recently. We did stage a small protest and create a petition, but our efforts were in vain. It may sound like a cop-out, but I wasnt prepared to stress myself out over these mocks (that my teachers and peers dont believe were fair nor timely) by cramming. So I didnt, and simply I continued with my sustained revision. I predict about an E/U. One topic was done fantastically, but I hadnt reached the other ones and so had only skimmed them the night before.

The english mock was spoken language. It went meh! My annotation was fantastic, my writing was poor. I seem to be the fountain of all knowledge so I'm often accosted with many requests of terminology from struggling friends. It really knocks me off my timings and scatters my thought process. I only wrote about 2 sides. So I reckon its about a C/D grade, you need 3-4 sides for an A usually. However this was my first timed transcript past paper. I got a D on my first language-change paper and that has risen up to a B over a 2-3 past papers, so hopefully this will be the same case for the transcript piece!

Afterwards my revision for the day decreased to a gear 2. I had a 121 interview with my form tutor regarding my report. ( All 1's & 2's (1 is the highest you can get out of 5!) I had straight 1's for Business and a mix of 1's and 2's for Physics and English. )

I made the mistake of sitting with friends for the afternoon. = No revision, just mindless political arguments as per usual!
I got home and tried to work at a gear 3 - I did half a PH2 past paper, created a cashflow forecast (BUS2) and essentially dallied about. I felt quite bad after realising how much time I wasted and spent 5 minutes creating a new revision time table.

New timetable: Its based upon a Gear 4 / Gear 5 / Maximum Overdrive work ethic. It doesnt look sustainable but I'll take a break when I need one, timetabling breaks doesnt really help so much especially when I'm in the groove!

5pm - HOME
Eat dinner
ENGLISH REVISION (up to 30 mins)

6pm - PH2 (30-60 mins)

7pm - BUS1/BUS2 (30-60 mins)

8pm - PH4 (30-60 mins)

9pm - PH5 (30-60 mins)

10pm - ENGLISH ( up to 30 mins)

10:30 - 11pm - Bed/Chill/Sleep.

It'll be modified nearer certain exams etc. But this is my plan for now and I'm gonna try my hardest to stick to it...hopefully I wont burn out!

Yours
Donte
Reply 54
Just a quick update.

I got my English mock (not the recent transcript one, another one) - D. I was appalled and heartbroken. Apparently I took too long in getting to the point, so that's clearly something I need to work on!

I got my Business mock - B. Again I was appalled, but then I found out it was 2 marks from an A grade. And also one of the highest/if not the highest, mark in the year group. Turns out a lot of people got a bit confused and didnt quite answer the questions properly!! So I'm actually pretty chuffed.

I didnt get any revision done today at college. My friends noticed I moved and gravitated to wards my area. Its not working out right now.

Anyway Im trudging through this. I will revise. I will get my A-grades! :biggrin:

Donte
Reply 55
Hi to anyone reading this!
Sorry the beginning is a bit of a rant.
TL;DR- Ive been getting A's in a few of my physics past papers, so yaaay!!

So after failing the recent mocks, despite not really putting much effort into them I've realised that my teachers have taken it a sign of 'struggle' rather than one of laziness. Which might not seem like a big deal. But I really hate it when people undermine my intelligence and then predict a massive underperformance. I was told a few days ago to prepare myself for clearing. I wasn't happy.

I fully understand it's my fault for not trying but I've felt every stage at my college they have underestimated me and have downplayed any and all achievements I've made, basing them off luck rather than my natural skill. They haven't taken the time to understand me as a person and so they don't know what makes me tick. If they had allowed me to attempt to get into Oxford, I would have been stuck in my books and been straight A's from the start of time, because I need something to motivate me. I need something to work towards or else I will bumble along at a lower grade because I'm not targeting anything. Although I'm kinda looking forward to university, I'm not exactly jumping around for Liverpool.But something snapped inside, I'm rather annoyed about their attitude to me and how they've been treating me. So now I'm motivated to do well and shove it up their *******s, because the entire institution has done nothing but force me down. They told me to target C/D grades. They always ask for proof when I tell them I got 7A*-A grades and did my GCSES early because they don't believe it. My ALPs score was one of the highest theyve seen, but they change it to a lower one because they suspected it was false- when it wasn't! They told me they wouldnt support any Oxbridge applications and told me not to even bother trying to get into a Russell Group because I wouldn't be able to get in.

Every other academic establishment I have been to has never EVER told me that I couldnt achieve, that I couldnt go places. They have never undersetimated my ability and they certainly never refused to allow me the chance to aim high! I'm thoroughly disgusted and downright pissed off! Their attitudes and behaviour toward me and my future has had such a massive detrimental effect upon my studies and my self belief. And no doubt that when I get my grades in the summer they will use that in their propaganda to attract more students! They will use those grades and tell the world that they were the reason I achieved them! They thought so highly of my intellegence rhat they congratulated me on getting an E in physics and a U in maths. They thought that was an acomplishment. Despite being the LOWEST grades I have EVER achieved! GRRRRR
Im done! slight rant over. :smile: And to the teacher that told me to prepare for clearing, because I wouldn't get an A in physics:

I just got an A in my PH5 past paper (the last and hardest exam). And an A in the one before that! :biggrin: :u: :tongue:

I spent the last week: coming home from college at 5, having dinner, doing a past paper (or 2), marking it, going over where I went wrong. Consulting a book and Google. I would be in bed at 9pm (at the latest) No Netflix, Minimal Spotify. I'd wake up at 4/5, have a small breakfast, do a past paper and read through notes. Have a proper breakfast at 7. Mark the past paper, get ready for college, get on the bus for 7:45. I've been doing past papers in my frees. I've moved away from friends (in my frees, we chill at lunch).

So yeah, I'm on track. I've still got a fair way to go.
I'm averaging:
A/B's on PH2,
C's on PH4 (but I haven't done a lot of revision for this yet!)
And now A's on PH5.

I can't currently comment on English.
I'm averaging A/B in Business too!

So hopefully I can keep the good work up! :smile:Yours Donte!
Reply 56
Quick Update: Revision slowed down this weekend. (To a standstill unfortunately)

I have 10 days (not counting today) to my BUS1 and I'm feeling quite confident for it.
There's 15 days until BUS2. I'm feeling a little less confident. Our teacher decided to teach the hardest part last. I understand it, I just haven't had a lot of time to practice it.

I need to find some sustainable, stable motivation!

D
Reply 57
Update:

This week has been tough, Ive been bumbling on. I feel like I havent done loads, but at the same time I have done quite a bit. The past papers are starting to blur together a bit lol!
My business class is now off timetable so I have a bit more time although I should be spending the same time doing business past papers and reinforcing knowledge.

I managed to get a C on my recent English mock, I also sat my teacher down and we talked about where I was going wrong, what bits of my technique werent good and all that. It's been really helpful and hopefully I'll see the full effects of it.

I recently scraped my PH5 mock with an E, I elected to redo it, so I have that to contend with on Tuesday. I feel partially ready, Ive been going through things and on the entire paper Ive been getting everything from A's-D's, the fluctuation is slightly annoying but I havent had anything as low as my original E, so its all been an improvement!

I havent done a lot of business, I'll admit I'm getting a little complacent with it, but I will pick up the slack and ensure I get a good grade.

My plan for the week:

Mon: PH5 mock revision & LG4

Tues: PH5 mock revision & BUS1 (MOCK IN AFTERNOON)

Weds: BUS1 & physics (hopefully a bit of all 3 exams)

Thurs: BUS1 only (EXAM IN AFTERNOON!)

Fri: LG4, PH2

Sat: BUS2, PH4 &LG4 ?

Sun: Writing club & PH2 ?

{I'm not entirely sure about Saturday and Sunday, but the other days seem fine at the moment}

Anyway, I'm slowly getting there.
Yours
Donte

PS: Ive now sorted out finance and accommadation, the only thing stopping me from getting into Liverpool is 2 A grades :s-smilie: But as you know I'm going to try my hardest to get them!!:biggrin:
Good luck man I have faith in you! Keep us updated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Good luck man I have faith in you! Keep us updated

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall try my hardest to! :biggrin: Good luck in all your exams too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending