The Student Room Group

Brutally Honest: The A-Grade Procrastinator.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ok so we are on the eve of a certain Business 1 Exam. (Tomorrow afternoon), and I thought I would reveal my exam routine.

It's slightly strange, but I've had it since my 1st ever exam (AQA GCSE Biology - 2010).

Firstly, food:Im always to bed early the night before and up early on an exam day, so i can get early morning revision in. Breakfast is almost always porridge &banana/s& for afternoon exams:s-smilie:andwiches and a banana (and recently because ive been a bit sleepy and lathargic I now take a berocca. It gives me an extra zing! :smile: )

General routine:

Day/s Before:

1) Organise the pencil case. I have absolutely no faith in my pens so I take about 5, I have a rubber,ruler,calculator,pencil,sharpener etc.

2)Buy some sweets. I always take mints(usually trebor soft mints, but ive elected for fox glaciers this year!) into the exam. They calm me down and help me think straight. Get a bottle of water (nothing special, preferably a little chilled though - not wet on the outside however, that makes for a slippery hand!)

3)Make sure my watch is okay and running. (Its never on my wrist in exams btw! I wear it on the right hand and im right handed!)

Now those seem fairly reasonable. Now comes for the quirkier stuff.

Night before:
4) Sleep with my books under pillow (only those relevant to the exam). I don't know what it is, but I'm convinced that when i sleep i absorb what's on those pages!

Exam Day:
5) TOILET - I've never had to go for a mid-paper p*ss, and I never intend to. It would throw me off my groove completely.

6)I take 2 paracetamol before the exam. ALWAYS. - I used to get chronic headaches and even though I seem to have grown out of it, I still taken them, because the moment a headache sets, I know my grades and writing will be off. (it may seem unhealthy but i dont take paracetamol at any other time during the year - even when I have really bad headaches)

7)Efamol. X2. Its an omega-3 brain pill. Its not a nootropic or anything like that, but its supposedly a brain enhancer. Its probably a fruity (not to mention expensive) placebo, but I feel far more confident after one of those! - Taken approx 20mins before an exam if possible.

8) Reading cue cards outside of exam room. I literally block everyone out and don't speak to people.

9)Organise the desk. My pens are clicked - ready to write. The sharpened pencils lie beside with the rubber and the ruler. The pencil case in the far right hand corner of the desk next to the water bottle. The watch comes off and is placed in the far left hand corner. I then angle my chair, slightly askew to the table. Mints are kept in my right pocket.

10) I test every single pen and pencil on the tiny piece of paper with my exam number on. Any that don't feel right or didn't start straight away are discarded under the desk.

11) Get into a relaxed state, (but ready to jump into the exam).

12) Smile. Because I know this sh*t, and I got this! :biggrin:
Reply 61
Quick update:

Business Exam tomorrow - Yeah Im ok for it I think, spent this afternoon revising for it, I feel like i know 80%+ of the course, but I wont lie I'm in a state of complacency because the business exams currently have no bearing on whether I get into University or not. Regardless I've been top of the class (predominantly) all year, and it would be an awful shame to fall down at the last hurdle. I'm sure my business teacher is banking on me getting good grades as well!

Physics - I did the mock (voluntarily). It went ok. I really revised for it, but I wish I'd have had a little more faith in myself. There was this question on magnetic fields in a wire and I knew that two wires with a current in the same direction attracted, I just second guessed my self and change the answer to a wrong one. There were similar things across the board, but on the whole it wasnt too bad of a paper, I dont know my grade just yet but I think I will find out tomorrow. Finger crossed its a decent one!
Really need to go over PH4, I havent done any in a while and I know I probably cant get higher than a D on it, in my current state. As for PH2 I had got that up to an A/B grade, it may have fallen to a C. After the Bus 1 Exam I'll try and go over the both of them and reinforce my knowledge!

English - I seem to be doing better, it turns out our examiner, Sara Thorne, wrote a book on English Language.The LRC had 5 copies Its been really good. - Not entirely sure why our teacher didnt direct us to the damn thing at the beginnning of the course, but perhaps its because he wasnt aware. My friend found it by chance, it looks like a proper book not a textbook. And Ive been going past it since September! Ahh well, I've got it now!
We've been doing some past papers in class, I'm getting the technique now, I just need to cement it in my head, keep going over the terminology and learn to write and think faster!

Overall I'm a little stressed, A little worn out. Lethargic (but now I have berroca so its all good!) A tad complacent in some subjects. And my fuse has shortened to the state where I can blow up over practically any annoying thing. (It's not helped by friends who think its acceptable to play Rick Astley & Crazy Frog songs, out loud, on repeat. )

Anyhow I go this! Im gonna do this! Gear 5 all the way! :yep:
Reply 62
Update:

The business exam was lovely. I came out with my hand hurting from writing so much! Answered every question. I'm hoping that's a decent grade! Though I'm now a little concerned that the BUS2 exam is gonna be horrendous - WJEC have done that to us before! :frown:

I got my PH5 Mock result back.....C (64%) I'm not sure but I put the right numbers and equations and got some wrong answers! I also second guessed my knowledge and I was right about it, I need a bit more confidence clearly!

Didn't do much revision last night, but plan on blitzing it tonight!

Donte
Reply 63
Update:

The business exam went quite well. I've slowed down a lot but I'm trying to keep the momentum up. Ahh well. Roll on PH2 (9th June!)
Reply 64
So the half term is nearly through and I've done a fair amount of revision. I dont think it's been enough, but everyone around me thinks I've done loads. Im not entirely sure where I stand. Ive done lots of PH2 past papers, I still need to tie up some lose ends on lasers and refraction, but everything else seems ok. Last night I got 85% on a full PH2 paper, and I've had mixes of A-C grades all week. Although I'm aiming for an A, any grade will be a marked improvement to last year's E!

PH4 is coming along rather slowly, & PH5 seems to have stagnated but I have a bit more time to sort those out.

I'm not sure about my English. I need my teacher to mark my essays because I do not seem capable of marking them myself, I'm either far too leinent or I'm far too strict, and I can never quite tell which I am being.

Everyday I do at least one PH2 paper, I try to do either a PH4 or a PH5 paper and I annotate at least 1 LG4 extract, all of which are timed, then marked and analysed. Any answer/terminology I get incorrect goes in the book.

I have 4 books (I also had one for business!) One for each exam : PH2,PH4,PH5 & LG4. I write down things I don't understand and equations I get wrong or forget and then before a revision session or going to bed, I look through it.
I feel like I am progressing in all subjects, I do feel a bit of an idiot now though for struggling with PH2 last year, it seems like a doddle! Especially compared to PH5 with its AC theory and B-fields!

Hope all your revision is going well!
Yours
Donte
Reply 65
I am now officially on study leave. Except I still went into college today...

I dont think I work well at home and there were PH2 revision tutorials on too. I managed a solid hour-hour and a half of LG4 revision. I did about 2 hours of PH4, I did an hour and a half of PH2. I completely blanked for PH5 revision though. There were many distractions during my PH5 revision and I realised at the end of the hour that I had literally stared at the first 3 pages and hadnt taken anything in. Ooops. I need to ensure that, that never happens again!

Tonight's To Do List:
PH2 Past Paper
LG4 written paper
PH4 revision
PH5 Case Study
(approx 3-4hrs)

I made a little cue card revision schedule for college time because I thought I would work more effectively with it. It's based on the 5 periods we have at college, so 2x1.5hrs in the mornings, 55 minute lunch, 3x1hr lessons in the afternoon.

The green stripes mean its not supposed to be strenuous (ie I can take flexi breaks/talk to friends whilst revising)

Hopefully I'll get so much work done this week. And obviously the next few. In 22 days I shall be FREE (& hopefully achieved my A grades in my exams!)

Yours Donte :P

timetable.jpg
Reply 66
So PH2 Exam tomorrow, I've spent all afternoon with my teacher going over things. I'm kinda confident, I know I'll do better than that E anyway! I'm a bit concerned for the LG4 paper, I timed myself writing today and it took me 20 minutes to write the language change paragraph ie half a page and then I'd have 20-25 minutes to write 1.5 pages more minimum to get a B. I plan on talking to my English teacher tomorrow to see if he can help in anyway!

Fingers crossed nothing mean like X-ray tubes comes up. :smile:

Donte
Reply 67
Havent posted in a while. The PH2 exam went well. The LG4 exam went well too!

Ive just been doing past papers and the having an occasional flick through my notes regarding uncertain parts of topics. I now have 4 days until my next exam PH4, which I'm a little flimsy on but hopefully I'll be properly prepared by Monday!

Yours Donte
Reply 68
Last 2 Exams! One on Monday -- that I'm half prepped for. Theres about 34.5hrs to go, and I wont lie I'm struggling to revise. I've managed to do a few past papers and mark them, I've gone over some proofs etc. Ive just been incredibly lethargic today and I havent gotten a lot done. But in the same breath I feel kinda ready for it.

I plan on getting up early tomorrow and hitting the books asap. If I can hit about 6-7 hrs of revision tomorrow as a minimum for this exam I think I might just make it. This paper is one of the harder exams, my grades have fluctuated from A-C on the past papers/mocks, because the questions they can throw can be a bit hit and miss. The grade boundaries also fluctuate massively, one paper was 70 raw, the year after it was 60 raw (for an A).

I think I managed about 3-4hrs possibly a bit more, I did 2.5 past papers, plus I marked them and reflected on them. I think this will probably be the exam I get my lowest mark on (a high-B grade Im hoping!), simply because the grade boundaries tend to be quite high and a bit unpredicatable, but I'm praying that I completely smash the final exam and the marks from that one will pull me up to an overall decent grade!

I'm getting an early night-ish, Ill have a berrocca in the morning, Eye of the Tiger will be playing and I'll be on top of the world and get myself fully prepared for the Monday exam!

I AM CAPABLE! I AM CLEVER! I WILL GET MY GRADES! SO LETS DO THIS SH*T!

Yours D
Reply 69
So I've been hitting the books pretty hard for this last exam, relatively confident at the moment. Ive been revising continuously since 10am and plan to keep going until 10 pm (with food, stretch and toilet breaks obviously). Im just working through past papers and stuff and I feel like im doing well.

As for the other exam, PH4, I came out kinda confident ish - I dont think I've got the A I dearly wanted, bits of the paper were awkward and had things not on the syllabus on it. (Physics teacher was not happy about those!). I felt ok coming out of that exam so it shouldnt be an E/U grade, but I couldnt really say where I've placed on it, the grade boundaries are relatively high for that paper too.

But in contrast it was worth 19%, Tuesday's exam is worth 22% (of whole a-level) and Ive felt pretty happy about the other physics ones so as long as I can hammer this next one (which usually has a lot lower grade boundaries as its the hardest paper) I might actually make it. :smile: but just in case I'll still pray to the Old Gods and the New.

Yours
Donte :P
Reply 70
So last exam tomorrow, I'm nervous. I know how much I need and its a lot (based of estimation on PH4 & PH2) however I think I do know quite a lot of this stuff so I reckon I have a reasonable chance. I spent from 9-4 today with my teacher going over the few things I didnt quite get, and then an additional 45mins at the library, and possibly 30-40 mins as I got home.

I dont know what else to say really. I've got a lot mounting on this exam. I guess I'll see you all (if anyone is still following this!) on the other side. When I am a free man...lets just hope I'm a happy, satisfied one!

Night
Donte
Reply 71
So the exam was pretty brutal, I answered most/nearly all questions but dear god did they go out of their way to make it awkward. The Case Study was beautiful and I zipped through that, the AC section was ok. The first section was written with the purpose of tripping us up, it was not nice. But its all done now, I'm going to put my feet up for the rest of the day and chill.

As hard as it was I'm actually really proud of myself, there was a fire inside me, a drive and determination that I havent seen in me in a long while. I went through past papers, I memorised the way to do so many different equations, I knew my stuff inside out, I tried to prepare myself for any eventuality, I was not expecting what they gave us however, I just hope that my teacher and any others who feel it was unnecessarily hard/awkward kick up a storm, and that the grade boundaries drop far enough for me to achieve.

Tomorrow, I think I'll start making contingency plans, I'm not sure how well Ive done in Physics. Was it good enough for an A? Enough for Uni? Only time will tell.

Donte
Original post by donte
So the exam was pretty brutal, I answered most/nearly all questions but dear god did they go out of their way to make it awkward. The Case Study was beautiful and I zipped through that, the AC section was ok. The first section was written with the purpose of tripping us up, it was not nice. But its all done now, I'm going to put my feet up for the rest of the day and chill.

As hard as it was I'm actually really proud of myself, there was a fire inside me, a drive and determination that I havent seen in me in a long while. I went through past papers, I memorised the way to do so many different equations, I knew my stuff inside out, I tried to prepare myself for any eventuality, I was not expecting what they gave us however, I just hope that my teacher and any others who feel it was unnecessarily hard/awkward kick up a storm, and that the grade boundaries drop far enough for me to achieve.

Tomorrow, I think I'll start making contingency plans, I'm not sure how well Ive done in Physics. Was it good enough for an A? Enough for Uni? Only time will tell.

Donte

I hope that everything works out in the end. :borat: I like your blog - you're very organised, what with your number of steps in your pre-exam routine and using the idea of 'gears', very descriptive :tongue: good luck with Liverpool!
Reply 73
Hey all. I guess this is my final post. So Results...

I got:

Business - A
English - B
Physics - C

Now it seems a little low, BUT, my Physics is a few marks off a B, and I would have gotten the A I wanted/needed, if I hadnt royally f*cked up PH6 by getting an E. I honestly do not know how that happened but its slightly annoying. English I was on track for an A/A* but one of the courseworks was dropped to a C grade, when the teacher had hinted it was a lot higher so a little irked at that too.

So I didnt get into Liverpool unfortunately. I didnt even appeal. In fact around the end of July I started working on a contingency plan, because I really did not want to go to Anglia Ruskin, so I applied for this thing called a Rotational Degree Apprenticeship, and somehow managed to beat 200-300 odd applicants.

So I will in fact be attending Pearson College London (its a tiny private uni that doesnt appear on league tables or anything!) with a full scholarship. Whilst also doing a paid internship/apprenticeship at Unilever. The 2 years after that I will be working for 2 of the following companies: Tesco, IBM, Pearson, Ogilvy or Directline Group (all paid intern/apprenticeships).

As much as I would have loved to have gone to Liverpool, I believe the route I'm going will be a lot better in terms of experience, being debt free and learning in a solid environment.

So I didn't quite get what I wanted in terms of grades, and I didnt quite get into where I wanted to go. But its worked out beautifully (once I've found somewhere to live) and I'm actually really proud of my Physics (despite that one exam everything else was on track).

So thanks for following me on this journey. I hope all your exams/uni/6th form has worked out - and if it hasn't don't give up hope it will work out in the end.

Yours
Donte

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending