The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Does anybody know in KCL have a programme for law called American law??/

Does anybody know in KCL have a programme for law called American law??/ I am a foreign student from China. The KCL(King's college provide a program called the American Law or something? The project is for 4 years and At the first 2 years study in King's and next 2 year study in the columbia university for JD program. Whatever I study law in England my final goal is to study JD program in top14. Does anybody join this program and it's difficult to get in??? I haven't finish my GCSE course. Also can somebody provide the choosing A level subject and LNAT information in this career???? Many thanks.
Firstly, yes, the programme does exist. It is called Law & American Law LLB and JD. You do the first two years at King's and if you're one of the best students there (ie. predicted a First) you may have the chance to apply for one of two places. You have to have proof of the appropriate financial assets in order for you to be considered, which including living costs in New York City is around $90,000 per year. Moreover, students are placed in the second year of the JD programme and often have difficulty adopting the new lifestyle and academics. All in all, it is a graduate programme and you'll be studying with 25 year olds already holding a Bachelor's degree. If you think you're up for it you should try and see if you can make it even as far as King's prestigious LLB. While getting both a LLB from King's and a JD from Columbia Law School is an extraordinary achievement in 4 years, as it would take someone usually 10 years to do so, it is definitely not for everyone.

To address your queries for law and admission to King's, you need a score of 26 at least on the LNAT for a competitive application, a unique personal statement and although they do not specify any subject requirements, English Literature and History are the norm. If you plan to apply to the LSE you should probably steer away from the Law A Level.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by vagrigore1
Firstly, yes, the programme does exist. It is called Law & American Law LLB and JD. You do the first two years at King's and if you're one of the best students there (ie. predicted a First) you may have the chance to apply for one of two places. You have to have proof of the appropriate financial assets in order for you to be considered, which including living costs in New York City is around $90,000 per year. Moreover, students are placed in the second year of the JD programme and often have difficulty adopting the new lifestyle and academics. All in all, it is a graduate programme and you'll be studying with 25 year olds already holding a Bachelor's degree. If you think you're up for it you should try and see if you can make it even as far as King's prestigious LLB. While getting both a LLB from King's and a JD from Columbia Law School is an extraordinary achievement in 4 years, as it would take someone usually 10 years to do so, it is definitely not for everyone.

To address your queries for law and admission to King's, you need a score of 26 at least on the LNAT for a competitive application, a unique personal statement and although they do not specify any subject requirements, English Literature and History are the norm. If you plan to apply to the LSE you should probably steer away from the Law A Level.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Oh thanks a lot for your reply!!
Are you studying this program?
So that means whatever you are applying for the JD degree in Columbia you have to finish the LLB course??
Is the JD program have age requirement?
I am Chinese student is studying GCSE course for second year:smile:
I have an offer from King's and hope to be applying for this program after my first year. You finish the 7 subjects required for a qualified law degree in the UK in just 2 years compared to 3 + Optional subjects. Then you transfer into Columbia Law School and do their 3 year program also in 2 years instead of 3. When you finish the 4 years, you get both degrees so you can practice law in the US and England & Wales. The JD programme does not have an age requirement, but since it usually follows a 4-year Bachelor's degree in the US, students are older.

Do well on your GCSE's and I reccomend applying to the US and UK if you have the chance.
I have an offer from King's and hope to be applying for this program after my first year. You finish the 7 subjects required for a qualified law degree in the UK in just 2 years compared to 3 + Optional subjects. Then you transfer into Columbia Law School and do their 3 year program also in 2 years instead of 3. When you finish the 4 years, you get both degrees so you can practice law in the US and England & Wales. The JD programme does not have an age requirement, but since it usually follows a 4-year Bachelor's degree in the US, students are older.

Do well on your GCSE's and I reccomend applying to the US and UK if you have the chance.

Hello! Not sure if you did end up opting for this choice but please do let me know if you did and if you would be willing to give me some info on the same! Thank you!
Did you have to apply for English and American Law on UCAS or did you just apply for LLB? Thanks

Hi I'm applying for law to LSE, kINGS etc this year, I took A-level law cos I wanted some understanding of the subject so do you think I am disadvantaged now despite the fact I am predicted A*??

Quick Reply

Latest