The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chalex2016
Hi there I have done 3 previous years of study and only gained a HNC and am wanting to start a full time degree again now in the 2016/2017 year. This will not be relevant to my HNC qualification so it will be a brand new degree of 3 years. I know that I will be blocked for the first 2 years of study from receiving tuition fees but I've been told that as my tution fees will be blocked for the first 2 years that During those first 2 years will only receive the non income assessed part of the maintenance loan even though my income is very much below 25,000 can you confirm this? They also told me I won't get PLA even though I have 3 children?

Can someone confirm this please?

Because of your previous study you willnot get the tuition fee loan but should get the maintenance loan and PLA forthe first 2 years. If you have compelling personal reasons(CPR) for why you had to leave your previous course then you may be able toapply for an additional year of funding. This has to be evidenced with medicalnotes or official documentation from a professional person who is aware of thesituation. It is important to supply as much evidence as possible and applyearly to ensure that there is plenty of time for your application to beprocessed.
I completed my first degree in Scotland and had financial help through SAAS but I have now been resident in England for 5 years so I am guessing I would need to apply through the English system for maintenance?

I know I cannot get a tuition fee loan but I was wondering if you had any advice about other options such as a career development loan, future finance or charities?
Original post by KyleXC
Is there a way to get funding for a second degree or is it practically impossible to change your career unless you're filthy rich?

Unfortunatelyyou can normally only get full funding for one degree course. Once you havebeen awarded a degree you cannot get any more. There are some exceptions, suchas medicine, dentistry or social work whereby you can apply for the maintenanceloan only but not the tuition fee loan. Another alternative would be to considerdoing a Masters course and applying for the new £10,000 loan. You should beeligible for this unless you already hold a Masters qualification.
Original post by lyra1987
I completed my first degree in Scotland and had financial help through SAAS but I have now been resident in England for 5 years so I am guessing I would need to apply through the English system for maintenance?

I know I cannot get a tuition fee loan but I was wondering if you had any advice about other options such as a career development loan, future finance or charities?

Unfortunatelyyou can normally only get full funding for one degree course. Once you havebeen awarded a degree you cannot normally get any more. More information on thePCDL can be found at www.gov.uk/career-development-loans.These are not normally available for undergraduate course but you would need tocontact them for more information. You would also need to check the repaymentterms and interest levels carefully before making a decision.
Original post by Kezkel
Hi can i just check whose post this relates to is it mine about having already had a years funding and now doing a 3 year degree. If so do you know anywhere else that would do a tuition fee loan

Providingthat your previous study was for one year or less you should still get fundingfor all 3 years of your new course. If you went into the second year then you would not get funding for a repeat year 1.
Original post by AJTrimnell1
Hello,

If you have used your gift year (had two years of finance) and you start a new course, you would have to pay for the first year of your course then you would receive finance for the following years. However, I have been told that if I were to start a new course next year I would receive full funding for all years (the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan) because of the changes and scrapping of the grant, is this correct?

Thank you

Unfortunatelynot no. The previous study rules will still apply so you will only get full fundingfor your second and third year. You can apply for the means-tested maintenanceloan only in year 1 but not the tuition fee loan.
Original post by Littlestar121
So.

I would really like to apply for Medicine in the next year or so once I've managed to get my head fully around the admission process!

I have always been fascinated by medicine/surgery from about 4 years old. However, at school I didn't do outstandingly in my GCSEs and my A Level grades were definitely not to a standard suitable for an application to Med School. My parents also would never have been able to afford to send me to university either.

11 years on, I have a job in the NHS as a midwife, I qualified with a first class degree after finding out I was dyslexic in my second undergraduate year.

I would still love to apply for medicine as a second degree.

I do have a couple of queries which I will share and ask for advice/opinion as to the next steps.

I am 27 years old and although I am aware there are older candidates that will be applying, I do feel concerned that this may not be a good time to apply as I wonder if I was to meet someone and want a family, my childbearing years may likely clash with medical training-What are the experiences of others in this situation? Is it possible to combine studies with this?

Finances-I am trying desperately to clear the outstanding debts that I have from University. I have had a student loan already for my previous degree and I can't see how I can fund tuition fees (may be able to get a TF loan as never took one out before) and living costs for the duration of the training. What do the banks offer for prospective medical students-is there any other help for candidates who cannot rely on family support?

Am I eligible given what I have mentioned of my education history here? I am very aware of the current pressures in the NHS from talking with my colleagues and I am also aware how extremely competitive medical school places are becoming. Anyone reading this who would know-what are your thoughts and what would you suggest is realistic? The doctors I work with have been very supportive and suggested I would have no problem?

I keep coming back to the thought of applying again and again-I think it is time to give it my best shot and hope I am successful. I have spent far too many years thinking about this! I just hope I can get the support and funding I need to make this dream a reality.

Thanks for reading!

Unfortunatelyhaving a degree already will mean that you cannot get full funding for anotherdegree. As a medical student you can apply for the means-tested maintenanceloan but not the tuition fee loan. You age should not be a factor in applyingfor the course, particularly as you have a lot of relevant experience.
Thanks Ruth!

If you missed this webchat or you still have questions, we are running another webchat tomorrow on 'Are you eligible for student finance'.

And remember we have a host of live webchats all week covering a wide range of topics!

Latest

Trending

Trending