The Student Room Group

Student finance for EU students

Are you an EU student with questions about student finance? We're here to help.

Sally has worked at the Student Loans Company for nearly five years in various roles. She regularly deals with complex queries and works hard to resolve any issues and customer complaints.

Jennie has been a Customer Advisor at the Student Loans Company for nine months. She deals with Student Finance England, EU and Advanced Learner Loans calls assisting students with a wide range of funding related queries.

Mandy has worked at the Student Loans Company for two years. As a student advisor she takes calls from Student Finance England, EU and 24+ students. She is also a disabled student support advisor.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am Italian and I am planning on coming to study in Scotland. How do I know which loans are suitable for me, so that I can manage to apply on time?
I received an email from one of the universities I applied to, asking me to check THEIR loans and scholarships... do I need to apply to all the ones I can both of the universities and of the government? What's the difference?
Thank you
HelloI am a Belgian student ,I came in the UK one year ago and I am actually studying an access to higher education course .In September I will start uni, but I've read that as an European student I can only get a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.I have also read that migrant workers can benefit of a maintenance loan , I am actually working part time at the same time I study . Will I be considered also as a migrant worker ?Which student finance can I get ? Thank you
Hi, I'm Italian and I'm interested in the Maintenance Loan...I read that is not avaiable for all the EU students, can you give some information about it? thank you very much
Reply 4
Hello, I'm an italian girl and I've applied to some drama schools here in London.When I am supposed to ask for a loan? I don't know for sure if I will get in because there is an audition to go through, so I am a bit confused if asking now or just in the case that I will be accepted.What should I do then?Thanks for your time,hope to hearing soon from you.
Reply 5
Hi!
Can you tell me please, when will you send the application forms for continuing EU students (as we cannot apply online) for the year 2016/2017?
Thank you
Hello. I got a loan for first year as migrant worker. I wanted to find out how I need to apply for second year as migrant worker, Do i need to send another PN1 paper application or will student finance contact me and tell me what to send

Thanks
Vytautas
Hello,

I read that the terms for this coming academic your changed for european students and for maintenance loans it will be only available after 5 years living in the country is it right? I have been in London for almost three years, which means that under the previous terms I would be able to apply for this maintenance loan in September.

I applied las year for tuition fees, and it was declined due my previous studies in other country. But, your services gave me the opportunity to appeal the decision and offer an extra year if I could prove that I left the university before by serious personal reasons. My question is: regarding my previous application, when the terms were 3 and not 5 years for maintenance loan, can I be considerate under the previous terms for this coming academic year if I appeal the decision and return to my studies? Regards.
Reply 8
Are EU student eligible to claim for a maintenance loan or any extra money apart from the student finance payed for tuition?
Hi, I am an EU student from Hungary. I have been in the UK since November 2012. During this period I was working and don't left the country for more than two weeks. I know i have the right to get the student finance. I already applied for it and started my Course with January 2016 intake( HND in Business and Accounting) Sent my documents as bank statements. I downloaded some of them from my internet bank. The company said they are copies. I went into my bank ( Barcl..) and ask for the new statements. They told me they can give the same as i downloaded in black and white. Mark from this website suggested me to get a stamp, so I asked the lady in the Bank to put one stamp each page. She was not to helpful, I think too lazy too stamp, but i could persauded her to stamp the first page of each month. My question is, that the company will consider them as a copy again? Probably you have experience with this kind of issues. My friend is at the same bank and the company accepted his bank statements without any stamp and He started the course in this year too. Also i sent wage slips, they are original but my employer just printed them. I am just confused a bit about this evidence thing. I don't understand what does the company consider as the original. If i ask from my bank it is original. I don't have any other things , only wage slips and bank statements. Thanks for your help
Hi where did you find that they will change for five years? I cannot find anywhere. Could you send me a link?

Cheers

Original post by jcafigueiredo
Hello,

I read that the terms for this coming academic your changed for european students and for maintenance loans it will be only available after 5 years living in the country is it right? I have been in London for almost three years, which means that under the previous terms I would be able to apply for this maintenance loan in September.

I applied las year for tuition fees, and it was declined due my previous studies in other country. But, your services gave me the opportunity to appeal the decision and offer an extra year if I could prove that I left the university before by serious personal reasons. My question is: regarding my previous application, when the terms were 3 and not 5 years for maintenance loan, can I be considerate under the previous terms for this coming academic year if I appeal the decision and return to my studies? Regards.
Original post by chiru_97
Hi, I am Italian and I am planning on coming to study in Scotland. How do I know which loans are suitable for me, so that I can manage to apply on time?
I received an email from one of the universities I applied to, asking me to check THEIR loans and scholarships... do I need to apply to all the ones I can both of the universities and of the government? What's the difference?
Thank you

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

Here at the Student Finance European Team we only process applications for student studying in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as Scotland processes their own applications.

Therefore, I am unable to advise you of funding for EU nationals studying in Scotland and would advise you contact SAAS. Their website is http://www.saas.gov.uk/ and their contact number is 0300 555 0505.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by Fionatrtz
HelloI am a Belgian student ,I came in the UK one year ago and I am actually studying an access to higher education course .In September I will start uni, but I've read that as an European student I can only get a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.I have also read that migrant workers can benefit of a maintenance loan , I am actually working part time at the same time I study . Will I be considered also as a migrant worker ?Which student finance can I get ? Thank you

Morning Fiona,

Many thanks for your question today.

I can confirm as you are an EU national and if you have lived in an EU country for three years prior to the start of your course you may be eligible for EU funding, which is tuition fee only.

If you are working and intend to continue working throughout your studies you may be eligible as a EU Migrant worker which will include maintenance loan funding.

To apply as an EU Migrant Worker you will need to complete an application form with Student Finance England ( PN1 form) and also provide the following to be assessed for EU migrant worker status :

Your Original Passport or National ID Card

A copy of your contract of employment

A letter from your current employer,confirming that the contract accurately represents the hours and terms to which you work. This letter needs to be signed by your manager.

Copies of your last 3 x months payslips

Your most P60 ( if available)

Both EU and SFE application forms for academic year 16/17 should be available early March 2016.

Thank You
Mandy

Original post by Brbrptz
Hello, I'm an italian girl and I've applied to some drama schools here in London.When I am supposed to ask for a loan? I don't know for sure if I will get in because there is an audition to go through, so I am a bit confused if asking now or just in the case that I will be accepted.What should I do then?Thanks for your time,hope to hearing soon from you.

Hi,

Thank you for your question,

If you are applying for a 16/17 course the applications will be available to download and print from early March. As the course is to be at a London drama school you would need to clarify whether the course is funded as many schools are private. You can check course eligibility by contacting your school or our EU team directly.
Original post by kat.dud
Hi!
Can you tell me please, when will you send the application forms for continuing EU students (as we cannot apply online) for the year 2016/2017?
Thank you

Good Morning,

Thank you for your query.

I can confirm that EU forms for 16/17 academic year will be available early March, as yet we have not got a specific date.

Once released these will be available at www.gov.uk/studentfinance to print.

Many Thanks

Mandy
Original post by Detective wolf
Hello. I got a loan for first year as migrant worker. I wanted to find out how I need to apply for second year as migrant worker, Do i need to send another PN1 paper application or will student finance contact me and tell me what to send

Thanks
Vytautas

Hi,

If you are to apply as a continuing student as a migrant worker you are able to submit this application via your online account or by completing a paper PR1 form. You will also need to send in evidence of your continued working status.
Original post by Alessio D'Elia
Hi, I'm Italian and I'm interested in the Maintenance Loan...I read that is not avaiable for all the EU students, can you give some information about it? thank you very much

Hi,

If you are a EU student and do not currently hold required residency within the UK then you would only be eligible for Tuition Fee support. If you do have the relevant residency or are working throughout your study you may be eligible for additional maintenance support. Further information would be required to advise on amounts.
For everything you need to know about student finance from how and when to apply torepaying, bookmark SFE’s student finance zone on The Student Room at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance
Original post by berdavid88
Hi, I am an EU student from Hungary. I have been in the UK since November 2012. During this period I was working and don't left the country for more than two weeks. I know i have the right to get the student finance. I already applied for it and started my Course with January 2016 intake( HND in Business and Accounting) Sent my documents as bank statements. I downloaded some of them from my internet bank. The company said they are copies. I went into my bank ( Barcl..) and ask for the new statements. They told me they can give the same as i downloaded in black and white. Mark from this website suggested me to get a stamp, so I asked the lady in the Bank to put one stamp each page. She was not to helpful, I think too lazy too stamp, but i could persuade her to stamp the first page of each month. My question is, that the company will consider them as a copy again? Probably you have experience with this kind of issues. My friend is at the same bank and the company accepted his bank statements without any stamp and He started the course in this year too. Also i sent wage slips, they are original but my employer just printed them. I am just confused a bit about this evidence thing. I don't understand what does the company consider as the original. If i ask from my bank it is original. I don't have any other things , only wage slips and bank statements. Thanks for your help

Good Morning,

Thank you for your question today.

With regards to residency evidence, I can confirm that bank statements will all need to be stamped by the bank to be accepted.

With regards to wage-slips we do accept these for residency evidence however these must be the original document.

I would advise you to send the evidence in for review by our processing team who will confirm if your evidence is acceptable.

Many Thanks

Mandy
Original post by Fran90
Are EU student eligible to claim for a maintenance loan or any extra money apart from the student finance payed for tuition?

Hi,

If you are a EU student and do not currently hold required residency within the UK then you would only be eligible for Tuition Fee support. If you do have the relevant residency or are working throughout your study you may be eligible for additional maintenance support. Further information would be required to advise on amounts.

Latest

Trending

Trending