The Student Room Group

Bandwagon Leicester Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Can only imagine the impact he's having in his front room playing FIFA.

He scored :tongue:
Assuming he doesn't get injured again and plays every game from now on, Arsenal can look forward to Welbeck scoring again in a few months.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Kante was exceptional.
Two idiotic decisions by Simpson and Wasilewski - the latter cost them a point. But don't see why they would be disheartened, these aren't the games they would be too upset about losing. Infact, they will be more content how close they came away with all three

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
Two idiotic decisions by Simpson and Wasilewski - the latter cost them a point. But don't see why they would be disheartened, these aren't the games they would be too upset about losing. Infact, they will be more content how close they came away with all three

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arguably the former cost them the win. Senseless from Simpson, I'd be going spare if I was Ranieri
I don't really see what Simpson did wrong - the first booking isn't, he's just outmuscled Sanchez, but Sanchez, as he did all game, threw himself to the ground because simpson was in the same borough as him, and the second is a 50/50 tussle. I've seen people booked for them before, but they're both pathetically soft and he's really just the victim of Atkinson losing his bottle due to the pressure from the crowd (who are pathetically childish - booing every decision that doesn't go their way? that's what 6 year olds do).

Still, despite all my inlaws being gunners, Spurs are now the side I want to win it if we don't - while I don't like Kane, the rest of the side is far more dignified than Arsenals, and Potch is a much better gentleman than Arsene Whinger.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Still, despite all my inlaws being gunners, Spurs are now the side I want to win it if we don't - while I don't like Kane, the rest of the side is far more dignified than Arsenals, and Potch is a much better gentleman than Arsene Whinger.

And the reason you don't like Kane is because you thought he was a one season wonder, and when he turned out not to be you try and criticise his finishing, his penalty goals, and finally, clutching at the most lolworthy straws, his record/attitude whilst on loan with you lot.

That aside, you'd have bitten someone's hand off for 6/9 against City, Pool and Arsenal. It'll be a good mental test to see how you recover from such a devastating end to today's match though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KeyToSuccess
And the reason you don't like Kane is because you thought he was a one season wonder, and when he turned out not to be you try and criticise his finishing, his penalty goals, and finally, clutching at the most lolworthy straws, his record/attitude whilst on loan with you lot.

That aside, you'd have bitten someone's hand off for 6/9 against City, Pool and Arsenal. It'll be a good mental test to see how you recover from such a devastating end to today's match though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no, I didn't like him even last season because of the weird media fawning over him and his attitude while with us. Young and still finding their feet I can deal with, preening around and making Ali Dia look like Messi, then having the cheek to have a go at the leicester fans on his return I can not.
Reply 88
Yet to be seen whether Leicester can rebound from last week's disappointment, but the FA Cup is almost done with now and we can look forward to seeing how Ranieri's side react.

I hope they don't suffer a few disappointing results in quick succession. It could completely ravage confidence.
Reply 89
I've been waiting 19 years to be called a glory supporter, and it's finally happening :awesome:
Well Leicester keep rolling on.

11 games from being immortalised in the history books..
The Unfancied Ones march on...
Premier Leagues of the future could be won by outsiders, through sheer spirit, determination, teamwork, resilience... things that money can't buy.
Original post by shawn_o1
The Unfancied Ones march on...
Premier Leagues of the future could be won by outsiders, through sheer spirit, determination, teamwork, resilience... things that money can't buy.

Actually that was the past, before the Premier League really got going. You'd often see a team get promoted then challenge for the title the very next season.

If a manager came in and put things in order with common sense, organisation and work, a team would shoot up the leagues and table, there were no super budgets and everywhere in Europe was relatively even. Only Liverpool stayed at the top, everyone else bounced around, there was usually a new team winning every season. It's what makes Championship Manager 93/94 so difficult...

It's different now. There's nothing comparable to what Leicester might do, or even are doing wherever they finish, because the gap gets wider as time goes on. The powerful want to stay powerful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Leicester winning the league would be the best thing to happen to English football in decades. Most fans of clubs outside of Manchester and select London clubs had stopped caring about the league since it was seen as an impossible trophy. Leicester are proving that it can be done, and even if they fall short their attempt will send a message that it is possible.

Unfortunately their team will probably be ripped apart in the summer as a strategic move to ensure they don't finish top 4 next season and to give themselves a higher chance of taking it.
Original post by Sephiroth
Leicester winning the league would be the best thing to happen to English football in decades. Most fans of clubs outside of Manchester and select London clubs had stopped caring about the league since it was seen as an impossible trophy. Leicester are proving that it can be done, and even if they fall short their attempt will send a message that it is possible.

Unfortunately their team will probably be ripped apart in the summer as a strategic move to ensure they don't finish top 4 next season and to give themselves a higher chance of taking it.

Atletico Madrid broke the Spanish duopoly in 2014, and while they have lost key players of their title-winning squad (Courtois, Turan, Diego Costa) they are still finishing in their top 4.
So Claudio could pull off another masterstroke by replacing Mahrez, Kante and Vardy and still getting the squad far in the Champions League
(edited 8 years ago)
Atletico Madrid broke the Spanish duopoly in 2014, and while they have lost key players of their title-winning squad (Courtois, Turan, Diego Costa) they are still finishing in their top 4.
So Claudio could pull off another masterstroke by replacing Mahrez, Kante and Vardy and still getting the squad far in the Champions League

Atletico still have decent muscle in the transfer market and buy really well. The wages they pay to certain stars isn't that bad.

Leicester will have more hope since the new TV deal will mean they get loads of money. So while they may be able to stop foreign mid-table sides from stealing their players, they still won't be able to stop the top teams if they come in for a player like Mahrez.

Weren't Atletico Madrid regularly challenging for top 4 positions before winning the league though? I know it's different in Spain as it's more a big 2 than the big 4/5 we have here but I saw Atletico's win more on par with Tottenham or Liverpool winning the title, which is still a great achievement but on a different level to Leicester managing to do it.
Got round to watching I Believe in Miracles, detailing Clough's journey in winning league titles and two consecutive European Cups after getting promoted, not even as champions. What he, and I imagine, Ranieri have done is keep it simple. No confusing lingo or discussions. It's a good watch if BT replay it on their schedule again for anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
11 games left. The league can be won with a maximum of 89 points. Chelsea can finish with only 69 points but will be content with Arsenal dropping another 16 during their inevitable collapse.

Whilst I see your point Atletico are hardly some obscure midtable side that came out of nowhere. They were always finishing 3rd-7th in La Liga and won the Europa League a couple of times, as well as the Super Cup and the Copa Del Ray. A more accurate comparison in English football would be Spurs - decent side but always in the shadow of their more illustrious neighbours.

They received 60 odd million from selling De Gea & Aguero and spent it really well.

Quick Reply

Latest