The Student Room Group

A question to non-Muslims...

Why are the majority of you so fascinated by the religion of Islam? I have to say and I am sure many TSRians can agree with me, the number of threads concerning this religion is ridiculous. Anything that occurs must be linked back to this religion.
With the great fascination that surrounds Islam, you would think it's some sort of alien religion that has only recently come into existence.

Scroll to see replies

Ah, that's a good point. Although a lot of the threads on here have no relation to what is in the media, it's almost as though the OP has gone deep-rooting through the history of this religion to find anything to attack Muslims with.
Where else do you hear stories of someone going to heaven on a winged horse? It's an entertaining book but some of it is really horrible, if you actually believe in those things.
Original post by Eternalflames
Where else do you hear stories of someone going to heaven on a winged horse? It's an entertaining book but some of it is really horrible, if you actually believe in those things.

That is where the word 'miracle' comes in.
I am just annoyed by how most of of the West see no issue targeting Christianity yet many defend Islam. Muslims themselves will always argue that it is a religion of peace or that not all Muslims are terrorists, forgetting that those aren't the only issues wrong with Islam.

People laugh at the idea of US politicians who believe in the biblical Creation or Christians who doubt evolution, however people are much more defensive of Islam's teachings.

People seem to be simultaneously happy at how the Church's influence is diminishing yet happy about how accommodating they are to those of another faith who are less likely to become secular.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dinasaurus
I am just annoyed by how most of of the West see no issue targeting Christianity yet many defend Islam. Muslims themselves will always argue that it is a religion of peace or that not all Muslims are terrorists, forgetting that those aren't the only issues wrong with Islam.

People laugh at the idea of US politicians who believe in the biblical Creation or Christians who doubt evolution, however people are much more defensive of Islam's teachings.

People seem to be simultaneously happy at how the Church's influence is diminishing yet happy about how accommodating they are to those of another faith who are less likely to become secular.

I guess muslims hold their religion very highly and people generally respect that. Im sure the community where the said US politicians are from also view their religion very highly and arent deferred by what other people think.

People choose to believe in whatever they want, there are many reasons people believe in religion; such as a sense of spiritual guidance you'll feel if you practise that religion, psychological benefits - make you feel happier or they think it is the truth.

Whatever religion, people can choose what they want to believe in.
Original post by Ua3142
I guess muslims hold their religion very highly and people generally respect that. Im sure the community where the said US politicians are from also view their religion very highly and arent deferred by what other people think.

People choose to believe in whatever they want, there are many reasons people believe in religion; such as a sense of spiritual guidance you'll feel if you practise that religion, psychological benefits - make you feel happier or they think it is the truth.

Whatever religion, people can choose what they want to believe in.

I never said they can't choose...
Reply 7
Original post by Dinasaurus
I never said they can't choose...

K den
Reply 8
Religions come and go.
Currently Islam is on the rise. That being said it's a disgusting abhorrent religion and anyone with a brain between their ears wouldn't want anything to do with it. The sooner the "magic man" and the pervert prophet of islam carry as much reverence as the inca's sun god the better.
The world will be a much better place when Islam and all other religious bullcrap is dead and burried.
I don't think it's so much a fascination, but more a controversial, conservative religion which in so many ways is alien to our way of life. Something like this is bound to attract attention and be ferociously debated.
Because they have no life
A mixture of controversial press, under-education at school and interesting content I imagine.

Personally I found religious education at my school very lacking so it is interesting to actually learn about other religions.
Original post by charlie-hh
A mixture of controversial press, under-education at school and interesting content I imagine.

Personally I found religious education at my school very lacking so it is interesting to actually learn about other religions.

This though. Like even though we studied for an RE GCSE we mainly learnt about 'nuclear families' and stuff I can't even remember. I remember having to ask a friend why one day she suddenly no longer had a long ponytail down her back, but instead she was wearing the hijab. Poor girl had to explain to me that she had started her periods. I'd never have had to ask if little things like that were taught. I once offered a muslim a hot dog before, genuinely believing it was a nice gesture, he was lovely about it thankfully, but it was only then I learnt that he didn't eat pork! I remember in primary school being mad because the one muslim girl in our class always got saved a slice of pizza on days the only other dish was pork, we were quite mean about it as kids, because no-one ever told us that she couldn't have pork. For years after I presumed she was just a vegetarian! And these are the 'blatant' things, how much do I still not know, I could be going around offending my muslim friends all the time for all I know, and they could just be too polite to tell me!
It's easy to insult a religion when you're so misinformed about it. Unfortunately this is the case with Islam nowadays. The media is everybody's most trusted source.
Probably because it is the single largest cause terrorism in the modern day.

Who wouldn't be interested in an idea that has swept the globe killing thousands of people in the process?
Original post by Eternalflames
Miracles don't happen in real life, hence 'entertaining book' and Muhammed was not a good person, I don't know how so many believe him to be great. You may have many reasons to show he did many good things for his community, but I hate paedophiles and don't understand delusional psychopaths, so I can't justify his actions in my head. Glad I don't have to

you clearly have no knowledge of the prophet then :smile:
He only married that girl because she was helpless and he then fended for her.. He did not "rape" her or even "sexually" abuse her. She was simply a girl who was in the brink of starvation leading to death, then he just aided her. How does that make him a paedophile? Or is your definition of a paedophile just helping a girl :biggrin:.
Do your research before you make absurd statements regarding the prophet and you'll realise how good he was. But how would you know? You're not even following Islam and are only simply reading the fabricated **** out there.

Thats my 2 cents for you :smile: take it or take it :smile:
Original post by EastGuava
Islam is a problem

How is it? Cause Islam has terrorists? :biggrin:
another pathetic person :clap2:
People make me laugh. If you don't like Islam, don't make any Islam-Bashing threads. K thx.
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
How is it? Cause Islam has terrorists? :biggrin:
another pathetic person :clap2:

Why do you assume terrorism is the only problem?

The fact it is unscientific and promotes belief in miracles, harsh non-progressive punishments and it is not really tolerant of things like homosexuality are more pressing issues.
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
you clearly have no knowledge of the prophet then :smile:
He only married that girl because she was helpless and he then fended for her.. He did not "rape" her or even "sexually" abuse her. She was simply a girl who was in the brink of starvation leading to death, then he just aided her. How does that make him a paedophile? Or is your definition of a paedophile just helping a girl :biggrin:.
Do your research before you make absurd statements regarding the prophet and you'll realise how good he was. But how would you know? You're not even following Islam and are only simply reading the fabricated bull s h i t out there.

Thats my 2 cents for you :smile: take it or take it :smile:

How does having sex with a child help them in any way?

Prophet Muhammed was a peadophile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending