The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge Open College Application

Hello,

I have recently received a PhD offer and am now waiting to see which college I get allocated to. I thought I was punching well above my weight when applying so I did an open application, (I didn't think I had much of a chance so thought it would be pointless stating preferences) and also because I didn't actually realise at the time that graduates can live in college accommodation.

If anyone has had or knows of any experiences with the open application I'd be grateful if you could post it here.

I know it's done by a computer program and that my application will get sent to whichever colleges have the least number of applications in this particular cycle - being female, over 21, and postgraduate, is it likely that I'll get one of the female/mature/postgrad colleges?

Thanks
Original post by Allegri

I know it's done by a computer program and that my application will get sent to whichever colleges have the least number of applications in this particular cycle - being female, over 21, and postgraduate, is it likely that I'll get one of the female/mature/postgrad colleges?

I don't think there's some clever computer, I think it's just an Administrator in BoGS looking at an Excel spreadsheet! Your paperwork will be sent to the College that has, at the point your file comes to the top for sending to a College, the fewest number of offers made in your course (PhD/Masters) and subject. As the female Colleges tend to fill up more slowly, they are probably often high on this list, but not necessarily always the highest.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Allegri
Hello,

I have recently received a PhD offer and am now waiting to see which college I get allocated to. I thought I was punching well above my weight when applying so I did an open application, (I didn't think I had much of a chance so thought it would be pointless stating preferences) and also because I didn't actually realise at the time that graduates can live in college accommodation.

If anyone has had or knows of any experiences with the open application I'd be grateful if you could post it here.

Thanks

It's very hard to say which College you will be allocated to. I remember in November 2015, people who had made open applications were being allocated Colleges, such as St. John's or even Pembroke (not exactly unpopular).

Regardless, you will be fine! All of Cambridge's Colleges have a unique feature and interesting in their own way :smile:.
Reply 3
Ok thanks, I think I'm just being impatient because I feel like I'm in limbo currently - I've been looking up the various accommodation at the different colleges (Just to get an idea) but there's just so many I really just need to wait for the college allocation. I'm just impatient for some more info.
Original post by Allegri
Ok thanks, I think I'm just being impatient because I feel like I'm in limbo currently - I've been looking up the various accommodation at the different colleges (Just to get an idea) but there's just so many I really just need to wait for the college allocation. I'm just impatient for some more info.

I know the feeling but try not to worry too much. I was very impressed with the accommodation offered by all the Colleges I visited. Unfortunately, this remains a relatively hectic time for admissions so you may have to wait slightly longer but it'll come through! :smile:

Once you know your College, ask away and there's more than enough people here with knowledge who can help you.

Quick Reply

Latest