The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter University Overrated and Snobby?

So I'm still waiting to hear back from The University of Exeter to study Politics and Sociology (hopefully with a year abroad which for me is a big deal!), what attracted me to the uni is that it seems like a pretty cool place to live, the campus is beautiful apparently, and the Exeter Politics department is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country (although doesn't do as well on international league tables.) I was pretty convinced that if I got an offer there then I would definitely go, but ive done some research and apparently the Uni has a reputation for being snobby and abit elitist? Does anyone know if that's still true of Exeter? Also many have said Exeter is overrated and that over the next few years it will probably start slipping down the league tables, although im probably focussing too much on them anyway. It seemed like a perfect choice until I read all that. I also have an unconditional offer for Sheffield btw, would I be crazy not to accept that?
Reply 1
Heard the campus and first year accommodation is great.

Very good Uni in a decent City.

Apparently snobbery and the bad attitudes of wealthier students have caused problems.

But you could get this at any Russell Group Uni. Sure there will also be lots of people you like.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by ironisse
So I'm still waiting to hear back from The University of Exeter to study Politics and Sociology (hopefully with a year abroad which for me is a big deal!), what attracted me to the uni is that it seems like a pretty cool place to live, the campus is beautiful apparently, and the Exeter Politics department is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country (although doesn't do as well on international league tables.) I was pretty convinced that if I got an offer there then I would definitely go, but ive done some research and apparently the Uni has a reputation for being snobby and abit elitist? Does anyone know if that's still true of Exeter? Also many have said Exeter is overrated and that over the next few years it will probably start slipping down the league tables, although im probably focussing too much on them anyway. It seemed like a perfect choice until I read all that. I also have an unconditional offer for Sheffield btw, would I be crazy not to accept that?

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ, this question yet again!

I'm now just going to start pasting the exact same answer every single time I see this question.

Yes there are posh, snobby students who think that anybody who isn't posh is beneath them at Exeter, just as there are posh, snobby students who think that anybody who isn't posh is beneath them at every single other Russell Group University.

However the posh, snobby students are a tiny minority and those that are in that minority tend to only ever associate within the circle of posh, snobby people.

Outside of that tiny minority nobody at all gives a damn where you're from, what school you came from, what class of society your family is in or how much money you have.

In my four years here my social circle has included everything from somebody who grew up in a single parent household, in a tiny little council flat in a dodgy part of Liverpool to a guy who was Eton educated and lived in a multi-million pound house in Windsor and not a single person has ever had a problem with anybody because of where they're from or what class they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending