The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn's intellectual credentials... or lack of.

I recently discovered something rather interesting, something which I'm surprised isn't more widely publicised by anti-Corbyn activists (which, for the record, I would not include myself among).

Jeremy Corbyn pursued a degree in Trade Union Studies at London Metropolitan University (then called North London Polytechnic), but he dropped out after his first year.

London Metropolitan University is currently placed at 126th in the university league tables. That makes it the lowest ranked university in the whole of the UK.

So... Jeremy Corbyn didn't graduate from the worst university in the UK.

As I said, I'm very surprised that this fact isn't more widely publicised, as it does seem a rather effective anti-Corbyn weapon, insofar as it inevitably prompts doubts about his intellectual suitability to be leader of a major political party, let alone Prime Minister.

Now, I realise that what university you go to isn't the sole determinant of how intellectually clever you are, but it's certainly symptomatic. Especially when you compare Jeremy Corbyn with David Cameron, who graduated with a first from Oxford. That contrast between the two really does suggest a wide gulf in terms of their intellectual abilities.

So, for anyone whose is a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn, did you know about all this? Do you care? Does it really mean anything?

For those who don't support him, do you care? Does this lower your opinion of Jeremy Corbyn? Do you think it could damage his reputation?

I look forward to a lively discussion. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Both are authoritarians. A degree means nothing if it did why not only let voters with a degree be allowed to vote? Surely on principle if you really believe what you are saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thaladan
I recently discovered some rather interesting, something which I'm surprised isn't more widely publicised by anti-Corbyn activists (which, for the record, I would not include myself among).

Jeremy Corbyn pursued a degree in Trade Union Studies at London Metropolitan University (then called North London Polytechnic), but he dropped out after his first year.

London Metropolitan University is currently placed at 126th in the university league tables. That makes it the lowest ranked university in the whole of the UK.

So... Jeremy Corbyn didn't graduate from the worst university in the UK.

As I said, I'm very surprised that this fact isn't more widely publicised, as it does seem a rather effective anti-Corbyn weapon, insofar as it inevitably prompts doubts about his intellectual suitability to be leader of a major political party, let alone Prime Minister.

Now, I realise that what university you go to isn't the sole determinant of how intellectually clever you are, but it's certainly symptomatic. Especially when you compare Jeremy Corbyn with David Cameron, who graduated with a double first from Oxford. That contrast between the two really does suggest a wide gulf in terms of their intellectual abilities.

So, for anyone whose is a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn, did you know about all this? Do you care? Does it really mean anything?

For those who don't support him, do you care? Does this lower your opinion of Jeremy Corbyn? Do you think it could damage his reputation?

I look forward to a lively discussion. :smile:

There is no such thing as a double first from Oxford. It is a Cambridge thing.
Reply 3
Cameron did go to Eton. That's almost a (not so free) ticket to Oxbridge.
Reply 4
A degree is just a piece of paper at the end of the day. It doesn't neccesarily mean anything.
That being said, corbyn is a pillock.
Reply 5

Do you think it could damage his reputation?

What reputation? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by JezWeCan!
There is no such thing as a double first from Oxford. It is a Cambridge thing.

My bad. I'll correct it. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JC.
A degree is just a piece of paper at the end of the day. It doesn't neccesarily mean anything.
That being said, corbyn is a pillock.

I disagree. You have to be among the cleverest people in the country to be admitted to Oxford, let alone to graduate there with a first.

On the other hand, only people with very low academic qualifications, which essentially are indicative of your intellectual ability, are going to apply for the lowest ranked university in the country.
Reply 8
Original post by TSRforum
Both are authoritarians. A degree means nothing if it did why not only let voters with a degree be allowed to vote? Surely on principle if you really believe what you are saying.

Why does a degree mean nothing?

And I'm afraid I can't follow the logic behind you accusation that I don't believe voters without a degree should be prohibited from voting, which I certainly didn't imply in even the vaguest terms. Perhaps you could elaborate?
x

Everything that's wrong with British politics in one post. Good effort OP. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
I consider Corbyn an extremist and won't even show Labour the respect of reading their manifesto in 2020 but i don't think the university he went to is an especially good guide (nor his grade or lack of). I consider Cameron much more intellectually capable (and the people amusingly agreed when Miliband claimed he ws smarter than Cameron) but i'd use the fact that he worked as a researcher and high up in media as evidence more than the fact that after attending Eton he ended up at Oxford.

Corbyn's clearly not thick but i don't think people care that Cameron has his wits about him anyway.
And?

If you look at the current cabinet most of their education has nothing to do with the position they currently hold. Osborne has a degree in modern history (surely the chancellor should have a degree in Economics), Jeremy Hunt studied PPE (this made him fit to be Health Secretary because?).

Corbyn was off doing activism and union work, I don't agree with a lot of what he says but I'll admit his experience is more relevant to what he does now.
When you call a pensioner "dumb and uneducated" (as most over-55's Tory voters are), then you come across as an intellectual snob and there's nothing worse than pissing off a group of people who regularly turn out to vote for you, in all manner of weathers.
Oh, who the **** cares? Corbyn is the realest politician in that place (House of Commons), and that is what counts the most in my mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Makes absolutely no difference as far as I'm concerned. The fact that so many useless members of parliament graduated from Oxbridge shows how irrelevant it is.
Stop with the ad hominem ********. Academia is utter nonsense anyway and really not that related to politics. All of which tends to be far better when self-taught. Judge people on the content of their words not arbitrarily defined "credentials".
Original post by Gwilym101
And?

If you look at the current cabinet most of their education has nothing to do with the position they currently hold. Osborne has a degree in modern history (surely the chancellor should have a degree in Economics), Jeremy Hunt studied PPE (this made him fit to be Health Secretary because?).

Corbyn was off doing activism and union work, I don't agree with a lot of what he says but I'll admit his experience is more relevant to what he does now.

Great post. Great signature. :rofl:
Original post by Plagioclase
Makes absolutely no difference as far as I'm concerned. The fact that so many useless members of parliament graduated from Oxbridge shows how irrelevant it is.

PRSOM. Seconded.
I disagree. You have to be among the cleverest people in the country to be admitted to Oxford, let alone to graduate there with a first.

On the other hand, only people with very low academic qualifications, which essentially are indicative of your intellectual ability, are going to apply for the lowest ranked university in the country.

We don't disagree. You have to be very clever to get an Oxford First, and Corbyn gives no indication that he is particularly bright.
Reply 19
Did you know Corbyn was linked to a Holocaust denier named Paul Eisen?

Oy vey!

holocausthowmanyandhow.jpg

Latest