University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

type it into wiki or google it
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 101
Guys Guys... i just finished my first year and REALLY you all have NOTHING to worry about! if ur sloaney then thats fine and if ur not then dont be! come on less than 25% of leeds students went to public school! you will end up having eton boys in ur seminars and not even realise it! likewise some people went to awful state schools and made it this far! no one cares, be who you are!
EmilieB
Guys Guys... i just finished my first year and REALLY you all have NOTHING to worry about! if ur sloaney then thats fine and if ur not then dont be! come on less than 25% of leeds students went to public school! you will end up having eton boys in ur seminars and not even realise it! likewise some people went to awful state schools and made it this far! no one cares, be who you are!

. . . says the person studying part philosophy, comes from oxfordshire and lives at the tannery
Reply 103
i can not believe this is still going.. yes i appreciate the irony that i had to post on the thread to say that..
Reply 104
hermaphrodite
. . . says the person studying part philosophy, comes from oxfordshire and lives at the tannery

Sorry but you don't know me! and for one the philosophy department is one of the largest, with people from all walks of life... some areas of oxfordshire are a dive and the tannery is the least "rah" halls around!

comments like yours just make you look like u have a chip on ur shoulder! i sure as hell dont, get over it!
EmilieB
Sorry but you don't know me! and for one the philosophy department is one of the largest, with people from all walks of life... some areas of oxfordshire are a dive and the tannery is the least "rah" halls around!

comments like yours just make you look like u have a chip on ur shoulder! i sure as hell dont, get over it!

. ...that's according to your definition of all walks of life

and i agree with the tannery being less rah - there are LMU students there.

Hmmm. I wonder what rattled her cage???:rolleyes:
God, hermaphrodite, shut up. This is by far the stupidest thread I've ever read on TSR.

My friend (from a comp, whose dad repairs TVs, and lives in a terrace) does Philosophy. Grow up, shut up, and drop this whole stupid issue plz.
Reply 107
Agreed. Some people are going to find it very hard making friends with attitudes like this.
Reply 108
EmilieB

Haha good one, it might not have grand pianos all over the place like Dev but its one of the most, if not the most expensive halls!
This is a really embarrassing thread. It's petty and I hope I meet none of you at Uni.
It's also interesting to point out that it's mostly reverse snobbery in this thread. Could it be that the 'Rahs' aren't the problem? Heaven forbid.
Reply 110
thats what i'm beginning to think.
Reply 111
not everyone is like this for the record.. you'll have a great time.. except the 5hour journey from kent all the time. that's never fun.. the train is longer!
Reply 112
I don't really have a problem with Rahs, apart from when they wear sun glasses at night and flip flops on rainy days, know what I mean?
Tomber
Or just head to North Yorkshire, where we're a little more civilised :wink:

You'll feel right at home in Harrogate

Thanks, Tomber - I worked for while in Harrogate. Proper posh, innit? :biggrin:
Reply 114
I'm well-spoken, privately-educated, and tick many rah related boxes but I know I'm not considered one by anyone who knows me at Leeds. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't act like an idiot then you'll be fine.
I go to a state grammar. (Tautology, perhaps?) Anywho, the way I see the rah thing is as follows:
My parents have NO meaningful background in higher education. That's mostly their fault, but to an extent working class people were conditioned to feel that education wasn't their vocation beyond the compulsory, hence room for debate on both sides of the coin there.
My parents have worked incredibly hard and are now pretty well off, but back when I started secondary school a private education was way out of their price range. I know you have to be good to go private, but the costs do stop MANY who are good enough from going that way, which therefore means private education, on the whole, is determined by income.
There's some really well-engrained misunderstanding and prejudice at both extremes of the spectrum: rahs are seen by some of my peers as David Camerons, who is sooo plastic he makes me sick. On the other hand rahs tend to see people like my peers, in part at least, as plebs. The Great Unwashed does still exist, but it is not the lower-middle or working class, it is the underclass.
I admit there are chips on shoulders. Dare I venture that that be the case on both sides? (That's the present subjunctive, and it makes sense here in case it reads oddly). Some of my peers are jealous of rahs' standard of living and that crazy confidence they have in themselves. To some extent it's intimidating, it must be said, and that then creates an unwillingness to understand said rahs and is then viewed by, again, said rahs as ignorance similar to that of the historical stereotype of the Great Unwashed, as already mentioned. I will add at this point in my mini-essay that no one will end up reading anyway that what really ticks off 'normal' people about rahs is that they act as they do deliberately. They set themselves apart and due to the size of their minority (over the magic 10% limit) they are recognised as a threat, as far as behavioural psychology is concerned anywho.

The conclusion to be drawn from this is that this all stems from a lack of understanding. If rahs made themselves more like 'normal' people, there wouldn't be so much of a problem. If you're different to the rest, and you revel in your differences, you make yourself a target to their resentment and this same rules applies to this debate.

Latest