The Student Room Group

Scottish vet student HELP!

Hey there.

iv got no offers but im on the waiting list for glasgow and they have told me that the only issue with my application is my grades (i didnt meet the minimum higher grades), and that if i get BB in my AH Chem and Bio i will either recieve a place from the waiting list this year, or get an unconditional next year. eek.

there is just one problem. i dont know if ill manage it. i know im capable of getting the grades but there is hardly any time left to study! iv worked my ass off all year doing the courses and i think ill manage biology, its just chemistry. i dont have an AH teacher, i see the higher teacher once a week for help but he doesnt know the course and is as clueless as i am.

if i had an offer then i would still try really hard for these exams but i would know that if i just missed out i could beg and beg for a place! but because im waiting listed i dont think they will even look at me if i dont get the grades!

Does anybody from glasgow uni who has done AHs know of anybody who has resat?? if i resat and got As do you think they would accept me??
they accept resits for Alevel students (even though they claim that they dont) so would i have a shot??
I can't say I personally know of anyone who has got in via resits here A level or AH but then I don't know everyone in the vet school! haha! Seriously, work your butt off from now till the exams, it is utterly amazing what you can achieve in a short space of time. No more going on the internet, no more telly, just work, work, work and occasionally eat and sleep!! If you don't get the grades then at least you know you tried your best. Have you told the vet school about your situation in having no AH teacher for chemistry? Because they would take that into consideration for sure, it's hardly your fault! I'm did A Levels so I'm not sure how it works for AH but are there revision guides available? And can you get copies of past papers? Cos if AH chemistry is anything like A Level chemistry, if you do the past papers, you learn most of what you need to know! I really feel for you, I was very lucky in that chemistry was the best subject taught at my school so I never really struggled with it but that was all down to the good teaching we had.

If you drop a grade in chemistry, don't give up, give the vet school a call....you could still beg...who knows, it could be a year where everyone is really silly and has put Edinburgh 1st and so Glasgow is desperate for students :wink: Ok, a little OTT but you get the message!

Just don't give up, go and study NOW!!!!
Reply 2
iv got pastpapers but thats the only help for the course. i didnt know how to put it into my ps or interview without sounding like i wasnt good enough to get the grades.
Is there any chance someone at your school could write to the vet school and explain your situation? They would be likely to put the letter with your file and then should you not get quite the grades you need, they would have this letter to explain why.
Reply 4
i woul definately ask your head of year/some other teacher to write a letter explaining your situation. our chemistry teacher had a heart attack last year and our whole class had a letter to sent to their respective unis and i know it made a difference between some people getting accepted with lower grades (not me cuz i screwed up royally though lol!) good luck and i hope everything works out for you!
xxx
Reply 5
Things are actually going great with the biology pastpapers and im hoping that chemistry will be the same. lol. iv got 8days to study for chem, so im just going to knuckle down like you said. its such a changable subject tho, some years i find really easy, others extremely hard. ill prey for a good paper.
Reply 6
lucyrobyn
Hey there.

iv got no offers but im on the waiting list for glasgow and they have told me that the only issue with my application is my grades (i didnt meet the minimum higher grades), and that if i get BB in my AH Chem and Bio i will either recieve a place from the waiting list this year, or get an unconditional next year. eek.

there is just one problem. i dont know if ill manage it. i know im capable of getting the grades but there is hardly any time left to study! iv worked my ass off all year doing the courses and i think ill manage biology, its just chemistry. i dont have an AH teacher, i see the higher teacher once a week for help but he doesnt know the course and is as clueless as i am.

if i had an offer then i would still try really hard for these exams but i would know that if i just missed out i could beg and beg for a place! but because im waiting listed i dont think they will even look at me if i dont get the grades!

Does anybody from glasgow uni who has done AHs know of anybody who has resat?? if i resat and got As do you think they would accept me??
they accept resits for Alevel students (even though they claim that they dont) so would i have a shot??

Heya I'm in 4th year at Glasgow and half the people in my year got in either through resits or because they had no offers and phoned up on the day of the results and asked for an interview. So don't panic! Everybody says the vet schools never have any places through clearing, but they actually do if you phone up. Be prepared to go up for an interview the next day or so though.
Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending