The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I did no work for my A-levels pretty much(4000 word coursework...written on the morning it was due in LOL) but now I'm here I spend all my time constantly panicking that it's going to catch up with me and I'm going to be thrown out.I quite like working hard anyway because my course is interesting.

Though I did spend all afternoon in bed.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
chocolateflake99
I did no work for my A-levels pretty much(4000 word coursework...written on the morning it was due in LOL) but now I'm here I spend all my time constantly panicking that it's going to catch up with me and I'm going to be thrown out.I quite like working hard anyway because my course is interesting.

Though I did spend all afternoon in bed.

How did you find the HOD exam?
Reply 22
Me and my housemates were nerds and worked out how we spent an average pre-exam day. They seemed to average about 6 hours sleep, 13 hours working (!) and the rest was play or eating or walking or something. That's insane...I hope I'm a bit more normal in my 9 hours of sleep, 6 hours working, 6 hours play and 3 hours of miscellaenous...meep
Reply 23
an average of 13 hours working !? whaaaat?

even an average of 6 hours is a lot.
hmmmm, all i know is that for my english course i could do absolutly nothing for most of the time, there's so few lectures - im gonna need to be really motivated!
Reply 24
That's the day before an exam, not an average day...
Mellie
How did you find the HOD exam?

Very weird.NOTHING about australopithecines etc...stuff we spent,like,an entire term on.Very strange.

I think it went OK though. I answer questions 2,3,4....2 was OK,it was about what can be inferred from skeletons,used a lot of Neanderthal examples(and the word 'infer about 2000 times)...something I actually revised!Question 3..natural selection....kind of ran out of things to say after about 25 minutes of writing so i started waffling.Oops. Question 4...a that was a piece of piss! The one about Homo sapiens...

I did get very scared when I first turned over the paper,went down the page and went 'Nope...haven't revised that...haven't revised that....haven't revised that...' LOL.

God I hope I pass!

How about you?Which questions did you do?

Hmm,in other news...the evening I was intending on spending revising for tommorow's exam culminated in a long walk into Durham, smoothies in Brown Sugar then back to Collingwood and an evening in the bar discussing bra sizes.Great.And I lost all my notes(left them somewhere and can't find them...)...so I might be screwed.
Sometimes it is 0, but very rarely. Considering ive had about 22 summative assignments this year, each taking somewhere in the region of 6 - 35 hours to complete (majority take under 15 I would say), then 22 hours of contact a week, then revising the actual lecture content (more done around exam time), i would say quite a lot! At the moment, its like 12 hours a day and has been for ages. It sucks.
Reply 27
I literally can't fit in 12 hours a day. For a start I need at least 8/9 hours sleep. My housemates reckon a regular 6 is the optimum for our age...*******s!
pikaboo
I literally can't fit in 12 hours a day. For a start I need at least 8/9 hours sleep. My housemates reckon a regular 6 is the optimum for our age...*******s!

I'm the same,I need so much sleep:frown:It's silly.I get about 8 hours a night but still get really tired unless I have an afternoon nap. Yesterday it lasted ALL afternoon.I couldn't sleep last night though because I was so angry that someone took all of my milk and I'd been looking forward to a cup of tea all evening!It was quite funny,I was ranting on like 'WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?' and I left a note in the kitchen saying that whoever did it 'ruined my day' hahaha.

Anyhoo,I have an exam in an hour and a half LOL...done so little preparation it scares me.But meh it's only 50% and it's only an elective.
Reply 29
chocolateflake99
Very weird.NOTHING about australopithecines etc...stuff we spent,like,an entire term on.Very strange.

I think it went OK though. I answer questions 2,3,4....2 was OK,it was about what can be inferred from skeletons,used a lot of Neanderthal examples(and the word 'infer about 2000 times)...something I actually revised!Question 3..natural selection....kind of ran out of things to say after about 25 minutes of writing so i started waffling.Oops. Question 4...a that was a piece of piss! The one about Homo sapiens...

I did get very scared when I first turned over the paper,went down the page and went 'Nope...haven't revised that...haven't revised that....haven't revised that...' LOL.

God I hope I pass!

How about you?Which questions did you do?

Hmm,in other news...the evening I was intending on spending revising for tommorow's exam culminated in a long walk into Durham, smoothies in Brown Sugar then back to Collingwood and an evening in the bar discussing bra sizes.Great.And I lost all my notes(left them somewhere and can't find them...)...so I might be screwed.

My HOD exam was terrible. I did the homosapiens question which went ok, and I number 10 (I think) which was pretty feeble and I started the skeletons question and then ran out of time. It was a nightmare basically, but there's not alot I can do about it now.

Discovering Society is going to be crap. If there is something on participant observation or visual stuff it might be alright but it's all just so boring. Meh.
Reply 30
Mellie

If there is something on participant observation or visual stuff it might be alright .

...And they were the first and second questions. Yey!
Mellie
My HOD exam was terrible. I did the homosapiens question which went ok, and I number 10 (I think) which was pretty feeble and I started the skeletons question and then ran out of time. It was a nightmare basically, but there's not alot I can do about it now.

Discovering Society is going to be crap. If there is something on participant observation or visual stuff it might be alright but it's all just so boring. Meh.

Aww:frown:I think a few people had a bit of a difficult time with that exam.It was quite random.

I was glad about Discovering Society...got questions on the only two topics I'd actually revised(ethics and mixed methods)...so thank god.But I don't think I did very well for various reasons.I did put the module convenor's research into my answer though LOL.

I got a headache halfway through,went really hot,thought I was going to faint...all I wanted to do was go to sleep,sob.

People and Cultures tommorow-mildly concerned about this exam.I'd be happy if something on hunter-gatherers comes up,one of those 'define four of these terms' questions and...hmm,maybe something on multiculturalism.
chocolateflake99
I'm the same,I need so much sleep:frown:It's silly.I get about 8 hours a night but still get really tired unless I have an afternoon nap. Yesterday it lasted ALL afternoon.I couldn't sleep last night though because I was so angry that someone took all of my milk and I'd been looking forward to a cup of tea all evening!It was quite funny,I was ranting on like 'WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?' and I left a note in the kitchen saying that whoever did it 'ruined my day' hahaha.

Anyhoo,I have an exam in an hour and a half LOL...done so little preparation it scares me.But meh it's only 50% and it's only an elective.

I'm just going to express anger with regards to milk stealing. Last night, bought two bottles of milk from the shop....2 HOURS later, one entire bottle had gone and another had been started!I couldn't believe it. It wasn't any of my friends because I stormed over to one of their rooms thinking they were drinking tea (they always come to my floor because I have teabags and lots of mugs...which I don't mind so much,it's just the milk I get angry about)...but they weren't.

The note I have blu-tacked to the fridge is very angry and calls the person who stole my milk the c-word.

Yes,I do get this angry about milk.How dare they steal my milk!How rude!
Reply 33
chocolateflake99
Aww:frown:I think a few people had a bit of a difficult time with that exam.It was quite random.

I was glad about Discovering Society...got questions on the only two topics I'd actually revised(ethics and mixed methods)...so thank god.But I don't think I did very well for various reasons.I did put the module convenor's research into my answer though LOL.

I got a headache halfway through,went really hot,thought I was going to faint...all I wanted to do was go to sleep,sob.

People and Cultures tommorow-mildly concerned about this exam.I'd be happy if something on hunter-gatherers comes up,one of those 'define four of these terms' questions and...hmm,maybe something on multiculturalism.

Apparently, marriage, peasants and participant observation will most definitely come up, according to one of my friend's tutors...
Ooh great I shall focus on those,even if I do swear we haven't actually done anything on participant observation this year!

Ah well,the questions on it in past exams seem to be the kind you can bull your way through.

I think I shall focus on those three and maybe caste(seems to come up a lot) and multiculturalism,Dr.Campbell said in the lecture on it...'err...you might want to listen to this because it might come up in the exam...'

So I need to do the reading LOL.
Reply 35
chocolateflake99
Ooh great I shall focus on those,even if I do swear we haven't actually done anything on participant observation this year!

Ah well,the questions on it in past exams seem to be the kind you can bull your way through.

I think I shall focus on those three and maybe caste(seems to come up a lot) and multiculturalism,Dr.Campbell said in the lecture on it...'err...you might want to listen to this because it might come up in the exam...'

So I need to do the reading LOL.

Was that the lecture on globalization? I am going to go through that at some point today when I have revised everything there is know about peasants.
Mellie
Was that the lecture on globalization? I am going to go through that at some point today when I have revised everything there is know about peasants.

Yep,globalisation,multiculturalism and diaspora.I'm going to revise the entire lecture I think,just in case.

I haven't done much today,about 2 hours this morning...ended up going shopping for three hours and spending ridiculous amounts of money. Yep,I have some nice new clothes,but my terrible financial situation is now even worse and I don't even feel any better or happier and along with that,I now have to spend all evening revising,though I just want to go to bed:frown:
Reply 37
I know revising probably seems more effective than sleep, but if you are knackered you should really put the books away. I don't know about you, but I've been wiped out all week! I feel so feeble....can't believe a couple of exams has got me genuinely fatigued.
I know,I've been so exhausted!Lol.In all fairness,four exams in one week is harsh.

On a couple of afternoons I've though 'Oooh I'll put my head down for 30 minutes'...4 hours later,wake up,lol.

That's why I must not sleep until I have got through 3 topics.

I decided it would be a fabulous idea to dye my hair too.Hmm.
I always feel really sleepy right after I have had an exam.

Must be the adrenaline comedown I think. Its quite annoying when you have other stuff to do.

Latest