The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Theres usually one meat choice and two vegetarian. Its not too bad often go for the vegetarian myself. But dont expect it to be really good!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
You mean to say it won't be a gourmet meal :eek: :wink:
Thanks for that, I've been reading in the student accommodation section and from what I'd heard on there it wasn't rated too well (as a generalisation). Is it relatively healthy?

Sorry for all the questions, I sound like I'm obsessed with food :redface:

Thanks for the reply you've put my mind at rest:smile:
If you like potatoes you'll be fine.

Seriously, i counted 5 varieties in one day.

My mate was a vegan in catered halls.. now that was hard. ive become veggie since, and i did eat mostly veggie stuff in halls anyway.
Reply 4
Not unknown to be offered potato, rice, pasta and bread in one sitting.
enough carbs to feed a hall full of sumo wrestlers...

Its pretty healthy though if you're diciplined with what you eat... i put on half a stone though :frown:
Reply 6
Well at least I won't be hungry. Ah well I love carbs anyway, I'm going to try and be sensible. I really don't want to put any weight on. But I guess it's harder then it seems!

Thanks everyone
Reply 7
Alcohol's the main problem i think. You've got a much better chance ofnot putting wieght on if you don't drink. xx
Reply 8
Mmm.. looks like I'll just have to try and do more exercise then. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
KellyE89
Mmm.. looks like I'll just have to try and do more exercise then. Thanks :smile:

hehehe:biggrin: smooth try to avoid the phrase 'I DO drink':rolleyes:
Reply 10
blone_bomb
Not unknown to be offered potato, rice, pasta and bread in one sitting.

God, I know! Pretty bad.

I gave up and started taking multivitamins this term, but it's so hard to find vegetarian ones. I often buy my own fruit, but it's the protein that's a real problem. Most of my meals here just consist of vegetables, and I'm often hungry because of it! Yesterday we did have vol au vent-y pastry things with beans in, which was some welcome protein for my poor body, but I can tell you I'm really looking forward to next year when I can cook for myself and be healthy again.

I've put on a bit of weight, but only a few pounds, and I'll lose it in the summer. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

So, vegetarian food here isn't great, but I imagine that's what you were expecting people to say. Just go to the Holland & Barrett in Beeston and stock up on nuts and seeds to try and compensate for the complete lack of protein. I got bad skin when I got here, which I never had at home, and a lack of concentration, headaches - but at home I eat almost all organic food and a really balanced diet (thanks to my mum's diligence :tongue:) so anything would have been a comedown.
Reply 11
I take vegetarian omega 3, multi vitamins and extra iron anyway so vitamins shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:
Reply 12
lol i could never go catered unless there was a bit more variety id go crazy living on bread n pasta lol :tongue:
so its self catered 4 me! are there easily acessible places to get fresh food in nottingham or is it a hassle to carry food from the shops?
Reply 13
vicki_lee
lol i could never go catered unless there was a bit more variety id go crazy living on bread n pasta lol :tongue:
so its self catered 4 me! are there easily acessible places to get fresh food in nottingham or is it a hassle to carry food from the shops?

Depends where you're living? Which self-catered place are you living? If it's Broadgate there's a fair-sized Sainsbury's just down the road in Beeston.
Beeston has a good market, and two small greengrocers to get fresh veg. Otherwise theres a good bus service, so its pretty easy to go anywhere.

If you ever want to do a huge food shop, i recommend taking the R5 to Asda/Tesco Superstores out by Long Eaton/Derby. ive never seen supermarkets so big!
Wow - didn't think there would be any vegetarians at Nottingham - its quite a nice surprise! Fortunately Im going to be self-catered and Im preparing already - stocked up on multivitamins and protein shakes and the sort. Im gonna be at BGP - if you need a good vege meal its not too far to come :smile:
Reply 16
Really? Why is that may I ask? Apparently there is a really nice veggie cafe in Lenton that does main meals for £2.70! I haven't a clue where Lenton (or even if it was Lenton..) is but hey, sounds like a bargain to me! I'm going to make sure I've got a fruit bowl in my room, I'm a bit of a fruit freak.
theres loads of veggies a most unis i think... i realised after moving out of halls that meat was too expensive.. now all 5 in my house are pretty much veggie. Lenton is on the way to the city, big student area. Theres also a lovely veggie cafe in the city called the Alley Cafe.. well worth a look.
Im guessing I had that inclination because there aren't that many around where I am...actually thinking about it I know about 5. I just thought there wouldn't be many at Nottingham. :confused:

Hey - if you're looking to go to that cafe in Lenton, I'd definitely be willing to tag along and share cab costs etc and yes, £2.70 is a brilliant bargain no matter how you look at it! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Sounds like a plan! There're quite a few vegetarians where I live, but no veggie restaurants or particularly veggie friendly ones to show it.. Maybe a bus though, way cheaper!

I always thought that there would be more veggies when I got to uni, mainly because I thought that people would make more independent choices. Plus, it's cheaper! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending