The Student Room Group

Veterinary Farm Work Experience

Hi, I am looking for Work Experience with a farm vet this Summer however everyone I have contacted so has turned me down because of their insurance. Does anyone have any advice or want to recommend a vet? Thanks!!
Whereabouts are you based? I'd suggest attempting a mixed practice (even though there are less of them) because you could always gain their trust doing smallies work And then ask to nip out on some farm visits :smile:
Do you know any farmers who you could ask about their vets?
Reply 2
Hertfordshire, but will be in Norfolk for most of the summer. Sadly there are no mixed practices in my area and none of the farm vets are insured for young people. I will definitely look for mixed practices in Norfolk though, thank you!
Original post by Lauren1999
Hertfordshire, but will be in Norfolk for most of the summer. Sadly there are no mixed practices in my area and none of the farm vets are insured for young people. I will definitely look for mixed practices in Norfolk though, thank you!

How young are you? if you're under 16 it might be worth waiting until you're 16+ to do a farm placement as it'll be easier to find one.

Otherwise do you have any family elsewhere in the country? Perhaps your parents have friends who would let you stay or you can book a B&B etc. to expand your search geographically. I had to go outside my home county for large animal vet work and unis will expect you to go the extra mile (literally). Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by SilverstarDJ
How young are you? if you're under 16 it might be worth waiting until you're 16+ to do a farm placement as it'll be easier to find one.

Otherwise do you have any family elsewhere in the country? Perhaps your parents have friends who would let you stay or you can book a B&B etc. to expand your search geographically. I had to go outside my home county for large animal vet work and unis will expect you to go the extra mile (literally). Good luck!

Over 16, however near me the farm vets will only take uni students. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending