The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine - Does a social media account help your application?

Hi, I want to study veterinary medicine next year but struggling to find in person work experience so I've been doing virtual.

I was wondering if having a social media account (e.g., Instagram) with posts about experiences in virtual work experience/research into veterinary science (Diseases, Factors effecting care, team building skills) would be beneficial when applying to University?

Is it a good way to demonstrate interest or is it a waste of time?
Thanks
Honestly no I don't think it has any kind of influence, you can for sure have one as many vet students like that kind of thing just to track that journey and you could mention it in applications but I very highly doubt they'd actually look at it or be extremely impressed by it tbh. Imo virtual work experience is only useful for some extra fun reading into the profession and not a substitute for hands on work experience, not all unis will accept that (even the ones who don't require a certain amount of hours of work experience anymore still want you to get some, you are up against candidates that have several weeks of varied experience) and imo that absolutely does not prepare you for realities of vet school. Harsh reality, but if you really haven't done any in-person animal experience you should step up how actively you are looking for placements, you will have find them as a vet student too so it's good practice. It's probably not too late to find a last mintue lambing placement, plenty farmers offer free accommodation and meals in return for help so you don't have to be anywhere near a farm, look on the NSA list and you can also find farmy placements on FB groups like the lambing club, ladies who lamb etc as they'd probably help getting further farm placements like dairy etc. Farm placements are probably the best type of work experience you can get as a pre-vet student as they'll allow you to be hands on with large animals, you experience working outdoors in all weather conditions on your feet for potentially long hours, you see all the happy things of babies being born but also the realities that where there's livestock there's also deadstock and there is all kinds of fluids etc involved. But also have you looked at riding schools, livery yards? They usually love extra pairs of hands and a lot have child helpers. Also look at shelters, petting farms, boarding kennels/catteries etc and of course vet clinics - those are harder to get accepted for work experience I do appreciate and I actually think are 'less useful' of a placement than the non-clinical farm placements as you usually won't be allowed to do much and might not grasp everything going on, but at the same time you need to see the job you're getting yourself into. The vet degree is very intense and applying without such in-person experiences is not great imo.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
Honestly no I don't think it has any kind of influence, you can for sure have one as many vet students like that kind of thing just to track that journey and you could mention it in applications but I very highly doubt they'd actually look at it or be extremely impressed by it tbh. Imo virtual work experience is only useful for some extra fun reading into the profession and not a substitute for hands on work experience, not all unis will accept that (even the ones who don't require a certain amount of hours of work experience anymore still want you to get some, you are up against candidates that have several weeks of varied experience) and imo that absolutely does not prepare you for realities of vet school. Harsh reality, but if you really haven't done any in-person animal experience you should step up how actively you are looking for placements, you will have find them as a vet student too so it's good practice. It's probably not too late to find a last mintue lambing placement, plenty farmers offer free accommodation and meals in return for help so you don't have to be anywhere near a farm, look on the NSA list and you can also find farmy placements on FB groups like the lambing club, ladies who lamb etc as they'd probably help getting further farm placements like dairy etc. Farm placements are probably the best type of work experience you can get as a pre-vet student as they'll allow you to be hands on with large animals, you experience working outdoors in all weather conditions on your feet for potentially long hours, you see all the happy things of babies being born but also the realities that where there's livestock there's also deadstock and there is all kinds of fluids etc involved. But also have you looked at riding schools, livery yards? They usually love extra pairs of hands and a lot have child helpers. Also look at shelters, petting farms, boarding kennels/catteries etc and of course vet clinics - those are harder to get accepted for work experience I do appreciate and I actually think are 'less useful' of a placement than the non-clinical farm placements as you usually won't be allowed to do much and might not grasp everything going on, but at the same time you need to see the job you're getting yourself into. The vet degree is very intense and applying without such in-person experiences is not great imo.
Thank you for your response! This was really helpful.
I have been looking for in person work experience at all those places, I have no farms near me that actually offer work experience so that's pretty annoying, I know because I have called them all up, those within a radius anyway. I'm in year 12 so I like to think I still have some time to find work experience. I was just wondering if keeping a research log (Like an EPQ project but still ungraded) was beneficial or not in terms of expressing interest into the career while I'm searching for work experience.
I'll try looking on Facebook groups, I never thought of doing that.
Thanks for all the advice!! :smile:
Original post by MikaylaLC
Thank you for your response! This was really helpful.
I have been looking for in person work experience at all those places, I have no farms near me that actually offer work experience so that's pretty annoying, I know because I have called them all up, those within a radius anyway. I'm in year 12 so I like to think I still have some time to find work experience. I was just wondering if keeping a research log (Like an EPQ project but still ungraded) was beneficial or not in terms of expressing interest into the career while I'm searching for work experience.
I'll try looking on Facebook groups, I never thought of doing that.
Thanks for all the advice!! :smile:
An EPQ can be beneficial as it gives you research skills and more to talk about in forms and interviews, but unfortunately it doesn't count for 'work experience' as such, virtual or not. The website I linked shows farmers looking for lambing students all over the place and many do have free accommodation provided, so maybe looking outside of your original radius would be useful, as then you could just get a train to a placement there and back once? You do still have time but for the work experience to be considered for your application it does have to be done by the deadline of 15th October, so I would be looking into booking a good portion of your summer now really, doing things in advance really helps - as a vet student I do book certain clinical placements 2 years in advance as they're so booked up especially for large animal. It's great that you've been calling placements, that's a great way to be proactive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending