The Student Room Group

What's a good fifth choice for studying medicine at university?

I really enjoy chemistry.. Would chemistry be a good fifth choice or is there anything better?
Reply 1
Depends if you would want to go down the post graduate route ? Personally I would suggest taking a gap year and applying again rather than putting down a 5th, going off to do a subject you don't want to do in your heart, and raking up a whole load of debt for an extra degree. I would even take a second gap year and get great experience and make my personal statement really impressive rather than getting the debt again through the post grad option- it's far more economical that way. Just my opinion! I got into medicine this year(my gap year) but it was my first time applying, and I didn't put down a 5th because I would take another gap year if I failed :smile:
Reply 2
Leave it blank - and reapply. The majority of people get 4 rejections and if you actually want to do medicine (not from an evangelical "this is the only thing I could possibly do, I was born for this" view, but from a pragmatic view) you're going to be disappointed, resentful and bored paying for and studying a degree you didn't really want to study. If you do then decide to apply to medicine later on, it's much more competitive and much more expensive. If you want to apply to medicine, leave the 5th choice blank (or put something in there to make you feel happy, but don't take it - bit mean on others though) and then re-apply if you are rejected.
Original post by Beska
Leave it blank - and reapply. The majority of people get 4 rejections and if you actually want to do medicine (not from an evangelical "this is the only thing I could possibly do, I was born for this" view, but from a pragmatic view) you're going to be disappointed, resentful and bored paying for and studying a degree you didn't really want to study. If you do then decide to apply to medicine later on, it's much more competitive and much more expensive. If you want to apply to medicine, leave the 5th choice blank (or put something in there to make you feel happy, but don't take it - bit mean on others though) and then re-apply if you are rejected.

Not everyone can help taking the grad route.. And if they did there is a chance the degree they put down as their 5th choice might be more enjoyable than medicine. So if you are contemplating a fifth choice, it can be quite an important direction to take, as if you are considering a course other than medicine it shows you might not be completely clear on what you want to do. I think oppositely to the view that you should apply, apply and apply again after being rejected because Medicine is such a huge commitment, whereas the fifth choice gives some scope and can give you a chance to really think about what course you want to do.
Reply 4
You have to remember that reapplying won't be worth it if you don't get he grades. I think the fifth option is more of a safety net if you don't meet the minimum requirement of 3As.
Courses like biomedical sciences tend to be quite good for a fifth option. You also have to remember that your personal statement will be completely medical. Not many other courses will like that so check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think everyone's misunderstanding the question - it sounds like the OP's asking about a fifth A-level choice, not a fifth option for the application :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
I think everyone's misunderstanding the question - it sounds like the OP's asking about a fifth A-level choice, not a fifth option for the application :lol:

Oh wow are you sure? If they want to do medicine then they need to do chemistry anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asuna Yuuki

No lool
We are answering OP's question

Posted from TSR Mobile
truth is, it depends what u want to do. because your personal statement is a generalised one (ie cant tailor to specific unis), it would automatically have to be a healthcare degree. In terms of healthcare degrees, your options are pharmacy, optometry, nursing if you are considering an alternative patient-oriented career in incase you cannot get into medicine; or biomed , pharmacology, neurology, or another biological degree (be warned, these latter degrees have job prospects which arent too great outside of labwork/research)
(edited 8 years ago)
I applied for medical sciences. I thought if I weren't going into Medicine, I would go into the research route.

So, as mentioned previously, it depends on what you envision doing after graduation if not for Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending