The Student Room Group

GCSE Options - History or Geography?

So I'm in year 9, and I'm about to choose my options. I've decided all the others, but I really don't know if I should take History or Geography for GCSE! Our school do the IGCSE course so it might be a bit different, but I would really like some advice on what to choose. I really enjoy both subjects and get quite good marks in both. I've heard there is a lot of coursework for both, and the History teachers give out a lot of homework. Geography is slightly easier, but I do like a bit of a challenge...

Scroll to see replies

I heard that if you do GCSE History, you can become a teacher. (well, at least you have the option to be one)
but if you don't you can't be a teacher.
This is only what I heard, i'm not entirely sure if this is true, but history might be worth considering.:wink:

I did GCSE geography and it was too late to choose history when I found out about this lol
Original post by jina1106
So I'm in year 9, and I'm about to choose my options. I've decided all the others, but I really don't know if I should take History or Geography for GCSE! Our school do the IGCSE course so it might be a bit different, but I would really like some advice on what to choose. I really enjoy both subjects and get quite good marks in both. I've heard there is a lot of coursework for both, and the History teachers give out a lot of homework. Geography is slightly easier, but I do like a bit of a challenge...

Hi! I take both GCSE History and GCSE Geography right now.
If you aren't a good essay writer, take Geography.
If you are rubbish at remembering dates and names. Take Geography.
If you are bad at learning case studies, take history.

Both are good subjects, I personally prefer Geography, but history is also really interesting.
I'm in year 10 and I take both subjects - if you prefer tests, then take Geography - if you prefer writing essays then take History. However, I would say that the Geography course is more versatile.
History is 4 modules (Vietnam War, Medicine, post-1945 Germany and Surgery) worth 25% each that you write some essays on.
I'm not sure how many modules of Geography there are, but I know that there's human geography and physical geography and then the field work that you do, but it is a mixture of tests, essays and decision making (evaluative) papers.
Honestly, I would suggest taking both subjects, but if you can't then I would say think about which one you enjoy more, what format of examination you prefer (test/essay), and which one you're better at. Lots of teachers tell us that a history GCSE is seen as more prestige than a Geography GCSE, but if you do take Geography, then a good grade in English Lit will make up for it, as history measures your writing skill.
Geography is easier however - you are given lots of case studies to remember, and questions in the exam about case studies are worth quite a few marks. History exams are more about making inferences on the spot, and there is a lot more to remember
Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you'll do fine:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rayestar
I heard that if you do GCSE History, you can become a teacher. (well, at least you have the option to be one)
but if you don't you can't be a teacher.
This is only what I heard, i'm not entirely sure if this is true, but history might be worth considering.:wink:

I did GCSE geography and it was too late to choose history when I found out about this lol

What kind of teacher? Anways I'm not planning to be a teacher anyway lol :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ffi Llewellyn
Hi! I take both GCSE History and GCSE Geography right now.
If you aren't a good essay writer, take Geography.
If you are rubbish at remembering dates and names. Take Geography.
If you are bad at learning case studies, take history.

Both are good subjects, I personally prefer Geography, but history is also really interesting.

I would take both but theres other subjects that I really want to take... I like essay writing and I can remember dates, but we haven't done many case studies yet in Geography. Writing essays do take a long time though, I guess.. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by aaliyahrenee
I'm in year 10 and I take both subjects - if you prefer tests, then take Geography - if you prefer writing essays then take History. However, I would say that the Geography course is more versatile.
History is 4 modules (Vietnam War, Medicine, post-1945 Germany and Surgery) worth 25% each that you write some essays on.
I'm not sure how many modules of Geography there are, but I know that there's human geography and physical geography and then the field work that you do, but it is a mixture of tests, essays and decision making (evaluative) papers.
Honestly, I would suggest taking both subjects, but if you can't then I would say think about which one you enjoy more, what format of examination you prefer (test/essay), and which one you're better at. Lots of teachers tell us that a history GCSE is seen as more prestige than a Geography GCSE, but if you do take Geography, then a good grade in English Lit will make up for it, as history measures your writing skill.
Geography is easier however - you are given lots of case studies to remember, and questions in the exam about case studies are worth quite a few marks. History exams are more about making inferences on the spot, and there is a lot more to remember
Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you'll do fine:smile:

The problem for me is that I like both tests and essays the same amount, and I am taking Eng lit so hopefully that will make up for it as you said...
I'm also worried because I don't have as much background knowledge in History as much as other students in my class who are taking History next year. Usually when we start a new subject, the other kids already know a lot about it wheras I only started History in year 7 and only know about what I started since then.

I really found your reply useful, thanks, its good to hear from someone who takes geography and history :smile:
Reply 7
i am also a year 9 and already chosen all my GCSEs. Geography WAS my preferable choice, but the History teacher wanted me to take his subject, since im a foreign student from Vietnam (if you dont know what i mean, 25% of the coursework is about Vietnam War). In the end, i still chose Geography. its just about doing what you like.
Depends the commitment you'll have towards the subject. I get A's in subjects such as Maths and Spanish and in History I get E's. In Year 9 I was working on A*'s in Geography. History was the biggest mistake of my life - and my exam is in like 2 months, omg! My advice would be to do what you enjoy more as you tend to better in those subjects :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bethanyjx
Depends the commitment you'll have towards the subject. I get A's in subjects such as Maths and Spanish and in History I get E's. In Year 9 I was working on A*'s in Geography. History was the biggest mistake of my life - and my exam is in like 2 months, omg! My advice would be to do what you enjoy more as you tend to better in those subjects :smile:

Unlucky you. Good luck though!
Reply 10
Original post by Nam Bui
i am also a year 9 and already chosen all my GCSEs. Geography WAS my preferable choice, but the History teacher wanted me to take his subject, since im a foreign student from Vietnam (if you dont know what i mean, 25% of the coursework is about Vietnam War). In the end, i still chose Geography. its just about doing what you like.

Yeah, I like them both but I probably just need a bit more time to see which I like better :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by bethanyjx

Aww, hope it goes well and good luck!
The above post about becoming a teacher is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life. No disrespect but please don't listen to that poster OP
Original post by jina1106

Hi, I did AQA GCSE geography and CIE IGCSE history. I really loved geography because you learn about a huge variety of topics, I'd say the main learning went down to Case studies, the rest of the info was quite straightforward to understand (especially in human geography where it was often common sense). Case studies aren't too bad if you start learning them nice and early and they're actually quite interesting but not good for cramming (you'll have to learn facts and figures for IGCSE as well I think, but check with ur teacher).
IGCSE history was pretty good, but mainly cuz I had a great teacher. Again for top marks you'll have to literally learn a lot of info, but in the end history was more useful to me because I really developed my essay writing skills and now if I need to write an essay in sixth form (I usually don't as I do sciences) it's not so daunting for me.
So geography was more enjoyable but history was more useful. A downside to geography is that you may have to do a coursework assignment which was really horrible but it depends on what you're more into: do you enjoy analysing info? If yes, history is great, but if you like learning how the world works, and why it is the way it is, geography is really quite fun. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
The above post about becoming a teacher is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life. No disrespect but please don't listen to that poster OP

I think they meant to become a History teacher you need to take History GCSE but then again don't you need to take Geography to become and Geography teacher (and etc.)?
(edited 8 years ago)
The A-level history would balance it out anyway. I'm sorry to the poster in that case, it was a misunderstanding.
Hey! I'm in year 12 so I did my GCSEs last year. It depends on what you're aiming for. History was by FAR my hardest subject. I got 11A*s because I'm a pretty hard worker anyway, but I definitely had the most trouble scraping (literally scraping) it in history. I hated it! I got a B in the controlled assessment! I also purchased access to these revision materials online which I know isn't an option for everyone, but it's honestly the only reason I got the A*. I LOVED geography, it was such a pleasure to learn, which is weird considering it probably has the one the most 'specifics' to learn which can take longer to revise for, but it was easy since I loved it :smile: definitely just go for what you like the most! You'll do best in that.

Also the thing about not being able to be a teacher without a history GCSE is rubbish!
Reply 17
Original post by Uni12345678
Hi, I did AQA GCSE geography and CIE IGCSE history. I really loved geography because you learn about a huge variety of topics, I'd say the main learning went down to Case studies, the rest of the info was quite straightforward to understand (especially in human geography where it was often common sense). Case studies aren't too bad if you start learning them nice and early and they're actually quite interesting but not good for cramming (you'll have to learn facts and figures for IGCSE as well I think, but check with ur teacher).
IGCSE history was pretty good, but mainly cuz I had a great teacher. Again for top marks you'll have to literally learn a lot of info, but in the end history was more useful to me because I really developed my essay writing skills and now if I need to write an essay in sixth form (I usually don't as I do sciences) it's not so daunting for me.
So geography was more enjoyable but history was more useful. A downside to geography is that you may have to do a coursework assignment which was really horrible but it depends on what you're more into: do you enjoy analysing info? If yes, history is great, but if you like learning how the world works, and why it is the way it is, geography is really quite fun. Hope that helps :smile:

That really helped, thanks :smile: Essay writing is really useful but I think I can do that in English too.. I think I'll just choose one that will be more fun, as I'm not really thinking of taking any of them for A level. At the moment I'm leaning more towards Geography, because I've heard that History does take up a lot of your spare time (Geography does too, but there's a lot more History homework)
Reply 18
Original post by I can do this
Hey! I'm in year 12 so I did my GCSEs last year. It depends on what you're aiming for. History was by FAR my hardest subject. I got 11A*s because I'm a pretty hard worker anyway, but I definitely had the most trouble scraping (literally scraping) it in history. I hated it! I got a B in the controlled assessment! I also purchased access to these revision materials online which I know isn't an option for everyone, but it's honestly the only reason I got the A*. I LOVED geography, it was such a pleasure to learn, which is weird considering it probably has the one the most 'specifics' to learn which can take longer to revise for, but it was easy since I loved it :smile: definitely just go for what you like the most! You'll do best in that.

Also the thing about not being able to be a teacher without a history GCSE is rubbish!

History is harder to get an A* and its a lot of hard work... but my History teacher said the universities know that so it means more to them. But I also heard they look at your grade average.
I am a year 11 studying Geography and one of my friends studies History. We do discuss the two subjects a lot and I know about the following:
- Geography is 2,000 to 3,000 words and there is a ton of research including primary research during a field trip.
- I know exams in both subjects last 2 hours.
- There are 2 exams in Geography = 1st exam is about the topic you do coursework on (Rivers and Coasts) and the 2nd exam is about population change and one child policy and population pyramids and things like that, as well as natural disasters.
- In Geography, you have 24 case studies to remember, but only 6 turn up in exam. Case studies like L'Aquila, Katrina, Cockermouth.

I would recommend you Geography, as long as you have an organised teacher, (mine is not but I still enjoy the subject.) I feel that field trips are a good break from all studying required at GCSE level. Coursework is worth 25% of your final GCSE grade. Good luck as I know both are extremely stressful. You say you find Geography easier so do not risk a challenge as I feel other subjects will provide that and you don't want stress. :p:)

Quick Reply

Latest