The Student Room Group

Mature students - giving up work in prep for vet med?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mvictor

Something else to consider is how Universities other than RVC rate the Access to HE course....

Cambridge: Attainment of an Access to HE Diploma with Distinctions in all relevant subject units can be acceptable preparation for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences and most arts subjects (excluding Economics) at the University of Cambridge. Some subjects may have additional academic requirements, see below and also check for any further requirements/preferences with the individual Colleges. In most instances, an Access to HE Diploma alone is not sufficient preparation to study a science subject (excluding Psychological and Behavioural Sciences) or Economics at Cambridge.In all cases, you should contact a College admissions office to discuss your individual circumstances. Certain subject-specific requirements may be included in conditional offers for particular courses at Cambridge as well. Natural Sciences A Level Mathematics is required for the Physical Sciences and recommended for the Biological Sciences (although there is a Year 1 for those without A Level Mathematics, the better applicants' mathematical ability is before they come to Cambridge, the better they will get on)

Edinburgh: "We recognise two access courses as alternative routes to studying medicine. College of West Anglia Access to Medicine Course Sussex and Downs Adult College Access to Medicine Course. If you are undertaking or intending to undertake a different access to medicine course, contact the Admissions Office for advice, detailing the access course syllabus and your previous qualifications." (Note: This doesn't state Veterinary Medicine, however it is listed under College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine. The VetMed degree does not have a section on accepting Access courses - The same applies for Glasgow)

Nottingham: I couldn't find any reference to Access to HE courses on their website.

Personally I would only consider RVC, Cambridge or Edinburgh due to location.

Hi,

I emailed Edinburgh directly - their response was "Unfortunately, we do not accept certificates, diplomas, or access courses. Consideration would be based on your school qualifications or a completed 2:1 Honours Degree". The section you have quoted is for medicine, not veterinary medicine. Neither of the Scottish univerisities accepts Access to HE or CertHE. Only applying to one university (RVC) is a bit of a risk, but if it's the right place for you then I would recommend the CertHE course as it is explicitly stated in their admissions statement, plus Birkbeck is also part of UoL (as is RVC), so there is a nice link between the two unis - the Birkbeck staff also have experience of successfully supporting students to gain a place so can help with your application :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Melora ^.^=
Hi,

I emailed Edinburgh directly - their response was "Unfortunately, we do not accept certificates, diplomas, or access courses. Consideration would be based on your school qualifications or a completed 2:1 Honours Degree". The section you have quoted is for medicine, not veterinary medicine. Neither of the Scottish univerisities accepts Access to HE or CertHE. Only applying to one university (RVC) is a bit of a risk, but if it's the right place for you then I would recommend the CertHE course as it is explicitly stated in their admissions statement, plus Birkbeck is also part of UoL (as is RVC), so there is a nice link between the two unis - the Birkbeck staff also have experience of successfully supporting students to gain a place so can help with your application :smile:

Ah what a shame! This does put me off the access course. Do you know if Cambridge would accept the CertHE course from Birkbeck? RVC is my first choice but as you say it is a big risk to take a qualification that none of the other universities would accept. Are you applying for any other courses or just Vet Med?
Original post by mvictor
Ah what a shame! This does put me off the access course. Do you know if Cambridge would accept the CertHE course from Birkbeck? RVC is my first choice but as you say it is a big risk to take a qualification that none of the other universities would accept. Are you applying for any other courses or just Vet Med?

I emailed Lucy Cavendish College at Cambridge and was told no, as they do not accept access and other similar courses for Veterinary; I have not heard back from Wolfson or St Edmunds but suspect the answer will be the same. Someone did put up a quote from their website a couple of posts ago saying they only accept access type courses for psychology and arts courses. Cambridge is 6 years rather than 5 anyway, and you have to take the BMAT, so I wasn't too concerned.

I have been told that the CertHE is accepted (I have emailed each admissions department to check) by; RVC, Bristol, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham (although Nottingham said this may be for the 6 year, rather than the 5 year course).

I'm probably not going to apply for another course; if I don't get a place for 2017, I will do more work experience (I've already booked more lambing for next Easter anyway), and reapply for 2018.
Reply 23
I see. The issue is that most universities say that they will only consider one repeat application in subsequent years and will only allow one resit of exams and then the score must be of a very high standard. Quite competitive. A Levels do look like the best option in terms of ensuring suitability for every university, although they probably aren't the easiest route or practical for most mature students.

Putting all of your fruit into one basket is risky but hopefully if you tailor your application, qualifications and experience to RVC then you will succeed :smile:

I emailed Lucy Cavendish College at Cambridge and was told no, as they do not accept access and other similar courses for Veterinary; I have not heard back from Wolfson or St Edmunds but suspect the answer will be the same. Someone did put up a quote from their website a couple of posts ago saying they only accept access type courses for psychology and arts courses. Cambridge is 6 years rather than 5 anyway, and you have to take the BMAT, so I wasn't too concerned.

I have been told that the CertHE is accepted (I have emailed each admissions department to check) by; RVC, Bristol, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham (although Nottingham said this may be for the 6 year, rather than the 5 year course).

I'm probably not going to apply for another course; if I don't get a place for 2017, I will do more work experience (I've already booked more lambing for next Easter anyway), and reapply for 2018.
Original post by mvictor
I see. The issue is that most universities say that they will only consider one repeat application in subsequent years and will only allow one resit of exams and then the score must be of a very high standard. Quite competitive. A Levels do look like the best option in terms of ensuring suitability for every university, although they probably aren't the easiest route or practical for most mature students.

Putting all of your fruit into one basket is risky but hopefully if you tailor your application, qualifications and experience to RVC then you will succeed :smile:

Vet med is highly competitive. I'm not only applying for RVC, I thought you meant you were only applying there (as Edinburgh and Cambridge don't accept Access). :smile:
Thanks for that, mvictor :smile: I will let you know when I receive a response! Having spoken to vet students recently on placement, they normally start in October... cut off for application I think is 15th Oct 2016 for 2017 entry.

I did speak to a couple of colleges prior to starting with the DLC, most were quite similar. Start in September, attend a few days per week. I figured it would make work / placements difficult, which was why I opted for the distance course... as they are all QAA certified, I figured there wouldn't really be a difference.

I'm open to options from London, Bristol, Nott and Liverpool really, I'm going to speak to each of them individually and double check on admittance with the distance Access. It'd be interesting to find out if anybody has been successful in obtaining a place with it. I'm going to give it a go regardless :smile:
Reply 26
Hi everyone. Okay I've gone over all of my options now and I think I'll go for the A Levels as an independent / private candidate. Now I need to figure out where to find resources, plan a schedule, find an assessor for the coursework and book in for exams. I suspect it will likely take me two years but I'll try for one. Finding a community of other veterinary students to compare notes and study with will likely be invaluable - would anyone be interested in that?

Regarding UCAS applications, am I correct in thinking that you have to apply a year before the course would start? So if I wanted to start Oct 2017, I need to apply Oct 2016? If that is the case, I'm not sure that my application would be substantial enough by then.

Seize_the_day, please let me know what RVC says about the distance Access to HE course :smile:
Original post by mvictor

Regarding UCAS applications, am I correct in thinking that you have to apply a year before the course would start? So if I wanted to start Oct 2017, I need to apply Oct 2016? If that is the case, I'm not sure that my application would be substantial enough by then.

Yes, that is correct. You will need to have completed the required amount of work experience by the time you apply; however, some uni's allow you to include experience you have not yet undertaken (e.g. Bristol lets you include one week in a vets and one week of animal husbandry that is booked but not yet completed).

I know my tutor will be writing a reference of some sort as part of my application; I am not sure how this works if you are a private candidate, but maybe the UCAS website can guide you?

I'm sure there is a section on this site somewhere with info on self-study for A Levels, if you have a search. It doesn't need to be vet-specific, but may have some good resources and tips from other students who have successfully studied and taken A Levels as private candidates.

Good luck.
Reply 28
Original post by seize_the_day
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately not - my working hours are strictly 7-4, but I can work a half day on a Friday.

That's interesting. I've spoken to a few universities and have confirmation from a few that they will accept Access; one of those was Cambridge. I think the ones you've named will be the ones I'm mainly looking at anyway, so we should be good to go :smile:

Really? Did RVC confirm this with you? I was under the impression that the Access courses are much the same providing they are QAA registered, which there is one provider of distance Access that is? I spoke to RVC and they said nothing about this... you've got me worrying now :redface:

I spoke to RVC and they consider it along the same vein as A levels, however they have said this about the BTEC in Animal Management, when they actually seem to consider students on a case by case basis for rather than it being considered the exact same as A levels. I am 22 and looking to start Chemistry, Biology and Physcology - I am in full time work at the moment and having to book off holiday and fit placements in around exams. Liverpool do not take anything past 3 years, so everything I did in 2013 for my BTEC is invalid, which sucks :/
Reply 29
Original post by mvictor
I'm glad you are enjoying your course. That sounds ideal for me, if only RVC would accept it. I'm eager to get into Vet med. Please let me know what they say regarding accepting your course.

I've just contacted a local college who offer Access to HE Science to find out what the hours and study schedule are like, as it would be easier in terms of not having to travel to London and not having to find all of my own course content and book my own fees. I'd have to take out an Advanced Learning Loan (which is now opening up to those 19+, previously it was 24+) but if you then continue on to the Vet Med degree they will completely write off your loan. This course would run between September 2016 - June 2017. The RVC states that the application deadline for 2016 entry is October, so I imagine 2017 entry would be the same? I'm not sure when the VetMed degree starts, do you know?

If you don't mind me asking, where about do you live?

In regards to the Advanced Learner Loan, I've been told they are now accepting people over 19 to do this; but on the Government site for Student Finance and Advanced Learner Loans it still says 24+. Do you apply like you would for student finance? Am I better off calling the Student Finance team? My college Student Finance team weren't really particularly helpful if I am honest, and just referred me over to the site. Any advice would be brilliant, I am new to all this and have no idea how to sort out my loans, or if I am even eligible.
Hi all
I did an A Level in Chemistry last year and then rather than take A Level Bio this year did an Access Course and have conditional offers for Surrey and RVC. Rejections pre interview from Bristol (no idea why) and from Liverpool who essentially told me my work experience was in the bottom quotient.

Bear in mind with A Level there is a lot more to it than Access Course. I'm not saying its harder but there is far more content to cover and your learning is far more prescriptive. An Access Course basically covers what they believe you need to know for a regular science degree. A Levels are about measuring all your skills and differentiating 17 year olds in areas including memory, interpretation, intelligence, ability to apply yourself over two years. I ended up with a B on my A Level and took it in 7/8 months as an evening course. I would just say don't underestimate how difficult they can be to top out on (e.g. get an A) without a full time school background to rely on! Also check with your provider how many people got As - that should give you a good indication and will also reflect the quality of the content you are given and how closely it resembles the syllabus
Reply 31
Original post by Victoria Holman
Hi all
I did an A Level in Chemistry last year and then rather than take A Level Bio this year did an Access Course and have conditional offers for Surrey and RVC. Rejections pre interview from Bristol (no idea why) and from Liverpool who essentially told me my work experience was in the bottom quotient.

Bear in mind with A Level there is a lot more to it than Access Course. I'm not saying its harder but there is far more content to cover and your learning is far more prescriptive. An Access Course basically covers what they believe you need to know for a regular science degree. A Levels are about measuring all your skills and differentiating 17 year olds in areas including memory, interpretation, intelligence, ability to apply yourself over two years. I ended up with a B on my A Level and took it in 7/8 months as an evening course. I would just say don't underestimate how difficult they can be to top out on (e.g. get an A) without a full time school background to rely on! Also check with your provider how many people got As - that should give you a good indication and will also reflect the quality of the content you are given and how closely it resembles the syllabus

Would you recommend access to HE over A levels then? I did not know whether Liverpool accepted it, have contacted admissions and am yet to receive a reply and whenever I ring they don't have a definitive answer - I know RVC and Surrey accept it, on Bristols admissions statement it says they only consider it if you've been out of education for 5 years (I haven't, I did a BTEC so have only been out of education for 2 years) the general consensus seems to be A levels over HE because it narrows down which unis you can apply to, but I'd like your opinion as someone who's done both A levels and Access to HE.
Original post by N.Julia
Would you recommend access to HE over A levels then? I did not know whether Liverpool accepted it, have contacted admissions and am yet to receive a reply and whenever I ring they don't have a definitive answer - I know RVC and Surrey accept it, on Bristols admissions statement it says they only consider it if you've been out of education for 5 years (I haven't, I did a BTEC so have only been out of education for 2 years) the general consensus seems to be A levels over HE because it narrows down which unis you can apply to, but I'd like your opinion as someone who's done both A levels and Access to HE.

If you can get A grades do A Level. I would suggest trying to do it through a school if you can. Trying to motivate yourself to tackle some of the subjects independently could be tough. If you really struggle then swap to an Access as the academic rigour is lower but you need to show a good reason why you haven't done A Levels. However saying that I think Universities would be far more impressed with someone who has achieved A Grades independently vs someone who has had it spoon fed at school or done an Access.

Surrey, RVC,Bristol and Liverpool accept Access Courses and I believe they will look at your application holistically. I already had A Levels, had a full time job, am 30 and had a degree. Therefor I had a fairly solid academic record so an Access to top up my science knowledge was fine. If your academic background isn't strong A Level is probably best.

Also have you had a look at the Vet Personal Statements? I say this because it will give you a good idea what you are up against in terms of a holistically strong offering. Also applications for Vet Med are apparently going down so its not quite as competitive as it used to be :smile:. And finally have you thought about a 6 year course? Nottingham and RVC do a foundation year? Not ideal but if you ended up with Bs at A Level it would give you a bit of a safety net?
Reply 33
Original post by Victoria Holman
If you can get A grades do A Level. I would suggest trying to do it through a school if you can. Trying to motivate yourself to tackle some of the subjects independently could be tough. If you really struggle then swap to an Access as the academic rigour is lower but you need to show a good reason why you haven't done A Levels. However saying that I think Universities would be far more impressed with someone who has achieved A Grades independently vs someone who has had it spoon fed at school or done an Access.

Surrey, RVC,Bristol and Liverpool accept Access Courses and I believe they will look at your application holistically. I already had A Levels, had a full time job, am 30 and had a degree. Therefor I had a fairly solid academic record so an Access to top up my science knowledge was fine. If your academic background isn't strong A Level is probably best.

Also have you had a look at the Vet Personal Statements? I say this because it will give you a good idea what you are up against in terms of a holistically strong offering. Also applications for Vet Med are apparently going down so its not quite as competitive as it used to be :smile:. And finally have you thought about a 6 year course? Nottingham and RVC do a foundation year? Not ideal but if you ended up with Bs at A Level it would give you a bit of a safety net?

Thankyou for your response it was really helpful - in regards to my Academic history, I got 3 A*s (English, English Lit and RE), 3 As, History, Physics, Art. And Bs in Chemistry, Maths, Textiles, Cs in Spanish and Biology. I am retaking Science Double award as my Chemistry and Biology obviously need retaking. I then did A levels in the wrong subjects, and wasn't really interested so came out with CCD in Textiles, English Lit and Geography. At this point I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I liked animals so I then did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Managment and got DDM, a few marks off a DDD. It was at this point I realised I wanted to do Veterinary during this course. I've had 2 years out working full time and travelling, and gaining work experience, and think I am in the right frame of mind to study now. I just want to absolutely ensure I get the right grades to get in, and with the new A levels the entire grades go on the final 3 exams in A2 - so even with fully preparing myself for the exams and studying, a few difficult questions could bring me down a grade :/ I know about the 6 year courses, I am unable to apply for Nottingham again as they only take 2 attempts overall (I applied during the BTEC, then this year for the Access year) so have used up my chances, but the RVC could potentially be a back up. I had no idea applications were going down but that can only be good news for me, I wonder why this is? Sorry for all these questions, do you have any idea where I can find a holistically strong personal statement? Are they on this site? (I am new to TSR and am just getting to grips with finding things) Thankyou so much for all your advice though!
Hey everyone, sorry to jump onto the thread
But I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice:smile:
I'm interested in studying vet med at uni, but I left school at 16 with 9 gsces including C in Maths, C on core and additional science and a D in English :/ I didn't do a level or anything afterwards as I was too ill and need a liver transplant which I now have had :smile: I'm now confused on what do in September for education as for my application in the future? I'm 20 so would i be considered a mature applicant? I can only apply for Bristol uni as my partner doesn't want to move to a city :/ I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what my best option would be to do? GSCEs are obvs but do Bristol take preferences over access/a levels/ btec and should I aim for normal entry or entry with foundation year?
I know I still need to get any experience but I have a least 2/3 years before I apply :smile: the only experience I have our with my 8 chinchillas, 3 Guinea pigs, 4 rats, hamster and degu so far and I would love to specialise in exotics one day and be a chinchilla specialist as all my chins are rescues 💖
Thank you in advance for any advice I really appreciate it
Sofie x
Original post by SofieKadence1996
Hey everyone, sorry to jump onto the thread
But I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice:smile:
I'm interested in studying vet med at uni, but I left school at 16 with 9 gsces including C in Maths, C on core and additional science and a D in English :/ I didn't do a level or anything afterwards as I was too ill and need a liver transplant which I now have had :smile: I'm now confused on what do in September for education as for my application in the future? I'm 20 so would i be considered a mature applicant? I can only apply for Bristol uni as my partner doesn't want to move to a city :/ I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what my best option would be to do? GSCEs are obvs but do Bristol take preferences over access/a levels/ btec and should I aim for normal entry or entry with foundation year?
I know I still need to get any experience but I have a least 2/3 years before I apply :smile: the only experience I have our with my 8 chinchillas, 3 Guinea pigs, 4 rats, hamster and degu so far and I would love to specialise in exotics one day and be a chinchilla specialist as all my chins are rescues 💖
Thank you in advance for any advice I really appreciate it
Sofie x

Hi,
Bristol do a Gateway year - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/

All entry requirements etc are on their website - you should check those first as you need to have lived in the area and meet certain criteria, to see if you would be eligible for it. They don't accept Access courses for Gateway, but they do for the 5 year course.
Your first step would probably be to resit your GCSEs (Bristol give the required grades at the link above), then decide what Level 3 course to do. You'll also need to complete work experience.
Being an exotic specialist is possible, but you need to complete the usual veterinary degree first, then specialise - most exotics vets will see all exotic animals, including rodents, rather than one individual species.
Just a thought, but it may be worth checking that your previous health problems don't put you at an increased risk of infection, as there are quite a few zoonotic disease risks to consider when working with exotic pets.
Good luck!
Hi,
Bristol do a Gateway year - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/

All entry requirements etc are on their website - you should check those first as you need to have lived in the area and meet certain criteria, to see if you would be eligible for it. They don't accept Access courses for Gateway, but they do for the 5 year course.
Your first step would probably be to resit your GCSEs (Bristol give the required grades at the link above), then decide what Level 3 course to do. You'll also need to complete work experience.
Being an exotic specialist is possible, but you need to complete the usual veterinary degree first, then specialise - most exotics vets will see all exotic animals, including rodents, rather than one individual species.
Just a thought, but it may be worth checking that your previous health problems don't put you at an increased risk of infection, as there are quite a few zoonotic disease risks to consider when working with exotic pets.
Good luck!

Thank you
My health problem shouldn't be a problem but I'll check with my doctor :smile: as for gateway entry do you know what area I need to have lived in ect for certain criteria as I can't see my I find that info only the qualification criteria 😱
Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you
My health problem shouldn't be a problem but I'll check with my doctor :smile: as for gateway entry do you know what area I need to have lived in ect for certain criteria as I can't see my I find that info only the qualification criteria 😱
Thank you

Hi,

For 2016 entry to Gateway, you had to live in Devon, Cornwall, Gwent, Somerset, Bath, Bristol, Gloucestershire or Wiltshire, but they seem to have removed this for 2017.
It does say you need to attend particular school or college for your level 3 qualifications though, as it is a contextual offer - have a look at the admission statement (bottom of the page).
Hi,

For 2016 entry to Gateway, you had to live in Devon, Cornwall, Gwent, Somerset, Bath, Bristol, Gloucestershire or Wiltshire, but they seem to have removed this for 2017.
It does say you need to attend particular school or college for your level 3 qualifications though, as it is a contextual offer - have a look at the admission statement (bottom of the page).

Thank you I live in Somerset so that's not problem and I'll have a look at what college I have to go to to apply thank you :smile:
Thank you I live in Somerset so that's not problem and I'll have a look at what college I have to go to to apply thank you :smile:

No problem :smile:
As you'll probably be over 21 when you apply, an Access course might also be a good option - its only accepted for the 5 year course, not the Gateway, but the GCSE requirements are the same for both courses. It might be worth seeing if there is an access to Science or Access to Medicine course in your area, and finding out what the achievement rates are and if the college has ever got any previous students into Vet Med.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending