The Student Room Group

TSA...Easy????

I'm a GCSE student, hoping to apply for PPE for Oxfod in two years time, but seeing as I cba rn to revise for my GCSEs lol, I decided to do the TSA specimen paper instead...Now I'm in year 11, I have two years to really get into Oxford mode (lol right now I'm not) so I did it expecting to do really badly.

I got 68% :eek:

Literally I've quadruple checked it, I defo got 68% in the specimen paper. Now I do a lot of debating, so the logic questions were alright and the maths ones weren't *too* bad lol, but but I just found out 70% is a top mark, most get high 50s.

If you done the TSA, did you find it easy? Was it harder on the day? Or if you've done the specific specimen paper here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/24890-tsa-cambridge-specimen-test.pdf

Was this easier or harder than general? I'd like to know lol because either this was a fluke, or I'm smarter than I thought lol (which I don't feel like that's the case).
From my personal experience, the specimen paper is usually easier than past papers. You should try out some past papers and see what happens.
Reply 2
Original post by SamLLLLiu
From my personal experience, the specimen paper is usually easier than past papers. You should try out some past papers and see what happens.

That's what I'm planning to do, but I've looked at some other papers and it doesn't seem that difficult.
If you managed to do that in timed conditions then fair play - that's pretty impressive. Good luck with your studies.
Original post by CJKAllstar
That's what I'm planning to do, but I've looked at some other papers and it doesn't seem that difficult.

Well that's good news really. I did the PAT test rather than TSA though but the overall strategy shouldn't be too different.

If the test seems easy, you probably should look at other experiences/opportunities that can make you stand out since it is only one section of the process anyway.
I'm a GCSE student, hoping to apply for PPE for Oxfod in two years time, but seeing as I cba rn to revise for my GCSEs lol, I decided to do the TSA specimen paper instead...Now I'm in year 11, I have two years to really get into Oxford mode (lol right now I'm not) so I did it expecting to do really badly.

I got 68% :eek:

Literally I've quadruple checked it, I defo got 68% in the specimen paper. Now I do a lot of debating, so the logic questions were alright and the maths ones weren't *too* bad lol, but but I just found out 70% is a top mark, most get high 50s.

If you done the TSA, did you find it easy? Was it harder on the day? Or if you've done the specific specimen paper here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/24890-tsa-cambridge-specimen-test.pdf

Was this easier or harder than general? I'd like to know lol because either this was a fluke, or I'm smarter than I thought lol (which I don't feel like that's the case).

You are aware that you've done a specimen Cambridge TSA, not Oxford? The Oxford TSA (although similar) also has an essay component. Also as far as I'm aware, the scores they publish are adjusted for the difficulty of the paper to get a normal distribution, they're not the raw scores.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
You are aware that you've done a specimen Cambridge TSA, not Oxford? The Oxford TSA is different and has an essay component. Also as far as I'm aware, the scores they publish are adjusted for the difficulty of the paper to get a normal distribution, they're not the raw scores.

The multiple choice section is similar in both, and yeah I found the adjusted scores and also did a couple past papers. I got like 56 in one, but 67 in the other (both adjusted according to the normal distribution for that year). By general point is the TSA is easier than I thought it'd be (though still difficult, I can't do half the maths questions heh), so I was just wondering whether I'm just pretty good (which I doubt lol), or whether my scores aren't average, people do find it easy in general and I was wrong about it.
The multiple choice section is similar in both, and yeah I found the adjusted scores and also did a couple past papers. I got like 56 in one, but 67 in the other (both adjusted according to the normal distribution for that year). By general point is the TSA is easier than I thought it'd be (though still difficult, I can't do half the maths questions heh), so I was just wondering whether I'm just pretty good (which I doubt lol), or whether my scores aren't average, people do find it easy in general and I was wrong about it.

The TSA is just one of those tests that come naturally to some and not to others.
In my experience, even with objective MCQ papers done under 'timed conditions', people give themselves better marks than they subsequently receive.

But why does it matter. Continue to work hard and get the best mark you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending