The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Sugarhouse Close Accommodation?!

Hi,

I'm applying for accommodation for next year 2016-17 entry as a first year (studying econ and philo). Really confused about Sugarhouse Close though - although it's more expensive I'm really keen on it as the pictures make it look amazing!

However, what I would like to know is whether it is a social place for a first year to be in.. what is the deal with UNITE.. and how many of the rooms will be taken up by first year students? all quite unclear on the website.. thanks!
Reply 1
Philosophy studen also thinking about sugarhouse - as far as I know there's an entire section of the rooms that are rented by the uni instead of through UNITE, so everyone we'd be living with would be other edinburgh freshers but not sure how many rooms, looks so nice tho :smile:
Anyone who's lived there know any more on this or what it's like??
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hi :smile:
I'm living there at the moment and its fantastic, rooms are great, staff are perfect and friendly and all the amenities you could ask for are nearby; the location is perfect.

It mainly consists of post grads though, im a fresher and there's very few other freshers. And all the universities are mixed. although most go the edinburgh uni.
Reply 3
Would you say another hall might be more social then? Or is your flat all still freshers?
Reply 4
Hi, I'm also applying for accommodation for 2016-2017 entry as a first year. I will probably apply to sugarhouse. I'm a student from the EU and I've been to Edinburgh two weeks ago. I've visited sugarhouse close, and the location is perfect! The rooms are great and the person who made me visit was really kind! So I think I will book a room here. However, I'm really confused too... I don't know wether to book a studio or to share a flat...Any advice??Also, Is it better to book with the uni or directly with UNITE? The person i'm in contact with told me that 80 rooms were reserved by the uni so there should be quite a lot of 1st years!
Reply 5
Hi, I'm also applying for accommodation for 2016-2017 entry as a first year. I will probably apply to sugarhouse. I'm a student from the EU and I've been to Edinburgh two weeks ago. I've visited sugarhouse close, and the location is perfect! The rooms are great and the person who made me visit was really kind! So I think I will book a room here. However, I'm really confused too... I don't know wether to book a studio or to share a flat...Any advice??
Also, Is it better to book with the uni or directly with UNITE?
The person i'm in contact with told me that 80 rooms were reserved by the uni so there should be quite a lot of 1st years!
Reply 6
Original post by julyxx
Hi, I'm also applying for accommodation for 2016-2017 entry as a first year. I will probably apply to sugarhouse. I'm a student from the EU and I've been to Edinburgh two weeks ago. I've visited sugarhouse close, and the location is perfect! The rooms are great and the person who made me visit was really kind! So I think I will book a room here. However, I'm really confused too... I don't know wether to book a studio or to share a flat...Any advice??
Also, Is it better to book with the uni or directly with UNITE?
The person i'm in contact with told me that 80 rooms were reserved by the uni so there should be quite a lot of 1st years!

I believe that the university should provide a more friendly-price but, therefore, with more restrictive rules?....However, if you reserved from the uni, your flatmate will be exclusively UOE students. Anyway, sugarhouse is a bit too expensive for me, so lucky you :smile:
Reply 7
Is there anyone who knows the difference between sugar house and deaconess please also perhaps black Friars ??? Thanks
Reply 8
Thanks for replying, Blackfriars is now my 3rd choice, perhaps I will get options 1or 2 fingers crossed!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending