The Student Room Group

What A-level grades would these universities require to get in?

I really need to get into Princeton or Columbia university for personal reasons and for what I want to study. I just want to know what their requirements. Can someone tell me please.
Why don't you just look it up on their website - or email them and ask?
Given these are American universities it'd be difficult to say. GCSE's are considered the equivalent to the high school diploma in America but I've heard some people who wanted to go American universities saying they argued otherwise. Maybe email the universities and ask them what their requirements are for British Students
And then think about how you are going to pay international fees ........
We encourage applicants attending schools outside the U.S. or Canada to complete their required standardized testing by the December test date if possible. In our experience, scores from the January test date for testers outside the U.S. do not always reach us in time. However, if January is the only time you can take the test, please sit for the test in January and have your scores reported to us by the testing agency.If the SAT tests are not offered in your country, we will consider your application without SAT results. However, we will have less information to consider when evaluating your application than we will have for applicants who are able to take the required tests. In some countries where the SAT is not offered, the ACT is available. If you cannot take the SAT, but the ACT is available, please take the ACT plus writing.^ That's from Princeton's website. https://admission.princeton.edu/applyingforadmission/tips-international-students
Standardized tests are required for admission according to the guidelines below; all test scores must be submitted directly to Columbia by the testing agency. Applicants may choose to takeeither the SAT and two Subject Tests or the ACT. Applicants for fall 2017 admission should read our updated testing policies which reflect the College Board’s redesigned SAT, scheduled to launch in spring 2016.SAT and SAT Subject TestsThe current SAT consists of three sections, each graded on an 800-point scale; if you take the test more than once, you will be evaluated on the highest score you receive in any individual section.The redesigned SAT will consist of two sections, each graded on an 800-point scale and the writing portion will be separate. Columbia will not require the optional writing section. You will be evaluated on the highest score you receive in any individual section.If you are applying for fall 2017 admission, results from the current SAT and/or the redesigned SAT will be accepted. When evaluating applicants, we will consider only the highest testing results reported from one version of the test, not across both versions.1) Applicants to The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science who are not providing ACT scores must submit scores on the SAT Subject Tests in Math and in either Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Applicants to Columbia College who are not providing ACT scores must submit two SAT Subject Tests of their choice.2) If you have a specific area of academic interest, we recommend submitting a subject test in that area of interest if one is available.3) The SAT Subject Test in a foreign language is designed to demonstrate your achievement in a language that you have learned in school. If you have native fluency in a language, we advise taking an SAT Subject Test in a different subject.4) Columbia will continue to accept scores for both versions of the SAT for applicants applying for admission for fall 2017 and fall 2018.ACT Plus WritingYou may alternatively take the ACT Assessment, graded on a 36-point scale; if you take the test more than once, you will be evaluated on the highest composite score you receive. If you are applying for admission for fall of 2016, the writing component offered by the ACT Assessment is mandatory. If you are applying for fall of 2017, Columbia will not require the writing component offered by the ACT Assessment.Although SAT Subject Test scores are not required for students submitting the ACT, you are encouraged to submit those scores if you have chosen to take the tests. If you have a specific area of academic interest, we recommend submitting a subject test in that area of interest if one is available.

^ And that's from Columbia's website. https://undergrad.admissions.columbia.edu/apply/first-year/testing

Basically it sounds like they much prefer it if you take SAT or ACT tests and send those results over rather than A-levels. And they need to be done a lot earlier. I'd see if taking SATS or ACTS is possible. If not, contact the universities. A-level exams don't start until May so you may need to see if your mock exams results will be acceptable enough to send over... either that or take a gap year.

I was looking at Chapman University myself and they actually accept UK students applying after only taking AS-Levels, however they do prefer you to take the whole A-level.
Original post by johannarebecca7
X

Basically it sounds like they much prefer it if you take SAT or ACT tests and send those results over rather than A-levels. And they need to be done a lot earlier. I'd see if taking SATS or ACTS is possible. If not, contact the universities. A-level exams don't start until May so you may need to see if your mock exams results will be acceptable enough to send over... either that or take a gap year.

I was looking at Chapman University myself and they actually accept UK students applying after only taking AS-Levels, however they do prefer you to take the whole A-level.

For the typical British student, they'd like both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending