The Student Room Group

Which is the appropriate hyphenation of the following words?

I am trying to hyphenate the following words: customer venom induced

I am not certain that it even does require it, can anyone help?

This is how I have currently written it:
"You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-venom induced headache with a couple of painkillers and somemind numbing TV when you got home."

Could it possibly need hyphens between every word? I don't know if that's proper English or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JPO92
I am trying to hyphenate the following words: customer venom induced

I am not certain that it even does require it, can anyone help?

This is how I have currently written it:
"You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-venom induced headache with a couple of painkillers and somemind numbing TV when you got home."

Could it possibly need hyphens between every word? I don't know if that's proper English or not.

as you wrote it. probably separate the highlighted words ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
as you wrote it. probably separate the highlighted words ?

How do you suggest?
Original post by JPO92
How do you suggest?

thus:

"You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-venom induced[font="sans-serif" Arial,="Arial,"] headache with a couple of painkillers and some mind numbing TV when you got home."
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
thus:

"You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your
customer-venom induced headache with a couple of painkillers and some mind numbing TV when you got home."

Haha oh I see what you mean. I thought you were suggesting I try to re-order the sentence structure. I thought it was near impossible. I was only highlighting the words to make them more easy to read within the sentence.
actually you might want to hyphenate

mind-numbing

:h:
Original post by JPO92

You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-venom-induced headache with a couple of painkillers and some mind-numbing TV when you got home.

As above, or re-word to exclude "venom" which is not really needed.

You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-induced headache with a couple of painkillers and some mind-numbing TV when you got home.

You missed a hyphen, by the way.
Reply 7
Thanks guys! Totally missed that! haha
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
As above, or re-word to exclude "venom" which is not really needed.

You'd come into work, find a way to keep your sanity, and nurse your customer-induced headache with a couple of painkillers and some mind-numbing TV when you got home.

You missed a hyphen, by the way.

I kinda like it more. The hyphens kind of add to the monotony of it. Which is the theme of the couple of paras.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest