The Student Room Group

FAO: Irish vet students, or anyone else who's kind enough to help out.

Hi, I know people will tell me to go do a search, but I've looked through the forum and there seems to be such varied views on veterinary applications. So if anyone can help me here, it would be great.

My sister wants to do veterinary in the UK, but has very little research done. I would like to know if anyone has any tips for applying. She hasn't got good enough grades, and is repeating her leaving cert (equivalent to A-levels). I have a few questions if you don't mind helping out.

Are there any other ways of alternative entry, like access courses? I've seen there are a few but I'm not sure are Irish students eligible for them.

Do you have to pay full fees even though she is an EU student? She has done two years of a full time degree here in Ireland. She has two years left, would you reccommend her completing this first, even though it's not a relevant degree?

What should she do between now and September 2008 to enhance her application and increase her chances of getting a place?

Is it really unlikely for you to get a place on a veterinary course if you don't have top grades. She has got pretty decent grades, but they are more B's than A's.

Thanks for any help offered. It will be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
if she can get a 2:1 in her degree then she can get in i think. but because she is a grad, she would have to pay full fees, Nottingham do a 6yr course which (in the first yr goes over basic science) is for people without the science background. and RVC also do a 6yr course for people without the science background, both of them have lowered fees aswell at £3000/yr.
The RVC Gateway course is only applicable to those whos parents didn't go to uni and earn under a certain wage bracket. I don't know whether it applies to Irish students or grad students though.

It is possible to get onto the course without top grades but they use it as a sort of filter when they first get all of the applications. Those without the grades - probably AAA or AAB in A-levels - may not even be looked at. This is just because of the vast number of applicants. However, once the applications been looked at people can and do get in with lower.

Between now and September she needs to get as much work exp as she can. She needs atleast 2 weeks in 2 different vet practices, some lambing at easter and some dairy work. Work at a lab or abbotoir will make her application stand out and things like work at a zoo or abroad will be interesting interview topics. She also needs to keep up to date on current veterinary issues - animal welfare, scientific break-throughs and farming matters. Farmers Weekly is good for this!

Latest

Trending

Trending