The Student Room Group

A levels are way too easy

I did Geography, Math, Chemistry and Biology in AS.

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just sit my exams for me
I started revising wayy earlier before and I'm immensely struggling still
Reply 2
Original post by Namita Gurung
Just sit my exams for me
I started revising wayy earlier before and I'm immensely struggling still

Watch videos and read the book for every question in the past paper you do not understand or a concept you are struggling at. Try to understand the style of the mark scheme, a lot of similar questions have similar answers. And last of all, always try to improvise if you find a question hard. Try to look for alternatives by recalling factual info

My cents!

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by alevez2ez

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.

You are ********ting arent u?
How did you get your results already?... Isn't at around august? But yeah they are easy for a y12 exam, I studied 600pages of business in 3 days and I did good.
Reply 5
made an account just for this aha sweet

Spoiler

Says someone who uses a double comparative.

Then again, I managed to get an A in an AS French past paper in Year 10...
Reply 7
aah.. you haven't done the new specification physics... your views would be different I assure you
Perhaps it's because of the amount you used to revise? The days prior to the exams you just jogged your memory?

A lot about A-level exams is just discipline.

Did you do all your homework on time? If you answer yes, then you revised like that as well.

Did you pay apt attention in class? Did you complete all the exercises on time in class?

See, not all of it's about independent study at home.

I'm not denying they can be easy, if you know how to go about it, but you probably done more than you realise.

Edit: The more years a mark scheme has been in place as well, the stricter it becomes, so what you said in that regard was misleading. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
watch videos and read the book for every question in the past paper you do not understand or a concept you are struggling at. Try to understand the style of the mark scheme, a lot of similar questions have similar answers. And last of all, always try to improvise if you find a question hard. Try to look for alternatives by recalling factual info

my cents!

Good luck. :smile:

thank you :h:
Do my biology exam please I beg you

Results come in August and we are in the middle of the exam period so how can you get your results now? stfu mate. good luck in the rest of your exams though. ... But stfu
You sir are a quick learner.
Ah good, because one person found them easy we should now generalise that to the whole qualification and call them 'easy'.

Also you have only done AS levels, you cannot comment on the A2 year which is likely to be harder.

But yeah nice opinion?
Reply 14
Yes they are. Way too hyped up relative to GCSEs. If anything I found them preferable/easier to remember info for due to the lesser variation (4 subjects instead of 10..)

edit: However they are only easy imo if you put a fair bit of work in. Some people underestimate what a fair bit of work is I guess. There is also the matter of working in the right manner.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Beanheadnigerian
Results come in August and we are in the middle of the exam period so how can you get your results now? stfu mate. good luck in the rest of your exams though. ... But stfu

Those are my AS results.

Didn't you find it extremely difficult to learn a year's worth of work in just 2 days? :s-smilie:
What exactly are people talking about here? As an exampleyou can't really compare full A2 Further Maths with GCSE maths in terms of difficulty...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by XcitingStuart
Perhaps it's because of the amount you used to revise? The days prior to the exams you just jogged your memory?

A lot about A-level exams is just discipline.

Did you do all your homework on time? If you answer yes, then you revised like that as well.

Did you pay apt attention in class? Did you complete all the exercises on time in class?

See, not all of it's about independent study at home.

I'm not denying they can be easy, if you know how to go about it, but you probably done more than you realise.

Edit: The more years a mark scheme has been in place as well, the stricter it becomes, so what you said in that regard was misleading. :tongue:

Yes, the jogging part is quite true however I can say that I did not pay too much attention in class, I messed around with my friends a fair bit and did not bother studying for mocks (hence the Ds and the Us). I didn't do a lot of homework of Maths because I felt that my teacher just overloaded the class each day (she gave like 2 whole exercises).. I was struggling really bad in Maths but after doing like 6 past papers, it was turning out to be so easy. I did not do a single book question near exam time. I felt it was a waste of time.

That is exactly the key imo. People just do not get enough time to adjust quickly hence why say it is hard but if you can go on about it then you can find them very easy and do well.
Reply 19
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Didn't you find it extremely difficult to learn a year's worth of work in just 2 days? :s-smilie:

I had a fair bit of idea about the content. It's not like I started from scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest