The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by eilidhx
I just completed the eTray. I don't know if it was easier or harder than I expected. I finished it with 20 minutes still on the clock so unsure if I should have spent more time reading or not.
I guess now it is just another wait and see!

Hi What was the format of the eTray?
Can anyone who's done an E-tray in previous years or already done this one describe what kind of exercise it is?

I just recently did a practice E-tray on an assessment website and it was like a virtual email inbox. You had to read and keep track of all the emails: some required responses, some didn't. Often the emails would refer to and require information from other emails. If you were given reply options you had to rate two of them as the "most" and "least" preferable responses. You then had to put the emails in order of usefulness and write summaries. Is it anything like that?
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the information you've all been sharing. Think I have had it easy compared to most as I applied and did the tests this morning and have already had my e-tray exercise unlocked. I really struggle with these so might have to take a few days to psyche myself up.
To everyone who is worrying about hearing about passing the initial tests, often the CS set initial passmarks and then narrow the pass/fail margins every few weeks, so it may be that this is happening and those of us who haven't heard yet (me included!) may be 'amber banded' and may hear after the next narrowing... just a thought!
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to further reassure those who took the initial tests early, I took mine on the 2nd of October and still haven't heard.

Still some hope!
Did the SJT on 30/9 and haven't heard anything yet. Worrying that people are completing it now and finding out they've passed. I assume I've been amberbanded.

Also, seems as though the e-tray is only half of what we did last year from what I've read above? No written part to it this time?
Hi All,

I am currently working in an EO role for HMRC, I missed the cut for the Finance Stream at the FSAC back in early 2015.

I'm wondering if there are operational fast streamers following the post who can share their experience thus far on the programme?

I live in Glasgow just now, and would be interested to gauge opportunity to secure posts in Northern regions?

Financially, with each project moving sites, does this have a significant impact on your lifestyle?

Assuming success in application obviously, but it would be helpful to receive some feedback before tackling the tests and assessment centre :smile:

Cheers
Original post by PenelopeO
Just to further reassure those who took the initial tests early, I took mine on the 2nd of October and still haven't heard.

Still some hope!

Original post by Kneale
Did the SJT on 30/9 and haven't heard anything yet. Worrying that people are completing it now and finding out they've passed. I assume I've been amberbanded.Also, seems as though the e-tray is only half of what we did last year from what I've read above? No written part to it this time?

Seems like we are all in same boat! (Did mine on the 2nd)

I e-mailed today and they said they are doing the incrementally so may not hear back for a week or so...

Think it is a bit unfair that we did ours early but haven't heard back
Original post by scar123
Seems like we are all in same boat! (Did mine on the 2nd)

I e-mailed today and they said they are doing the incrementally so may not hear back for a week or so...

Think it is a bit unfair that we did ours early but haven't heard back

That's horribly unfair. You sent in your application early, so surely you should be one of the first to be considered, not last.
Being done incrementally can mean amber banding. If that is the case, it is not about fairness but about whether you met the initial pass mark. If the amber banding is being used again this year like it was last year, this really is the least stressful wait. The assessment centre amber banding was vomit inducing.
And waiting is honestly par for the course. I am waiting for the DAS from last years scheme. They are already running behind on that. I have been asked for pre appointment checks info and don't even know what they are offering or even if I can afford to accept it. It's about accepting that the process is long, drawn out, and you may go grey prematurely.
To add another concerned voice to the chorus, I did the tests on 5th October and haven't heard back. I'm a little concerned I might've flunked the Behavioural test, but of course I don't know. Hang in there everyone...
Can anyone briefly describe the e-tray? I have no idea what an "e-tray" is though I understand they have abandoned the numerical and verbal tests.
Original post by JoJoBonetto
Being done incrementally can mean amber banding. If that is the case, it is not about fairness but about whether you met the initial pass mark. If the amber banding is being used again this year like it was last year, this really is the least stressful wait. The assessment centre amber banding was vomit inducing.

I guess! It just seems a bit bizarre that the majority of people that haven't heard back took the tests earlier than those who have heard back.
Original post by DannyM25
Can anyone briefly describe the e-tray? I have no idea what an "e-tray" is though I understand they have abandoned the numerical and verbal tests.

So basically you're presented with a mock e-mail screen with various emails and documents. You'll get some pre-info, probably to due with the job role so it's worth reading up the job description of your chosen stream. You'll be given some background information which tends to be important but not always, so read through that. Then you're given an 'email', something like "Good afternoon ___, I need you to attend a meeting in an hour, I know you have important things to do but this is urgent", so then you choose your most and least likely responses. I've done some practice ones but no the FS one specifically but I hope it's not too challenging. They've abandoned the numerical tests for all but the economic and (I believe) financial streams where they'll test it in the AC (which I'm so happy about since maths is the bane of my existence).
Original post by scar123
I guess! It just seems a bit bizarre that the majority of people that haven't heard back took the tests earlier than those who have heard back.

I mean, we are only a handful of thousands of applicants so our expereience may not be reflected in the general scheme of things. Still, it is an odd thing going on.
I applied at the end of September and haven't heard anything...worrying!
I think that this forum isn't necessarily a true reflection of the candidate pool at large. It is an indication, but not a guarantee. Last year I think I got past this stage smoothly but immediately passed maybe two out of four of my schemes for e tray then was amber banded for the schemes that had the higher pass mark, such as HoP. I was amber banded for FSAC right up until Easter break this year before being deemed unsuccessful with a score of 12.12 (but eligible for DAS).
I completed the tests at the start of October and it's been two and a half weeks now. It's very frustrating to see those of us that completed the tests early now seem to be being punished by a lack of information, one way or the other, on if we have passed. I phoned this afternoon and after hearing the pre-recorded message about test results taking 'up to a week' (ha.ha.ha.), I spoke to a representative of the fast stream who reiterated that they are marking the tests incrementally and we could still be waiting UNTIL THE END OF NEXT WEEK. Is anyone else who applied early feeling that this is becoming increasingly unfair? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catinahat12
I completed the tests at the start of October and it's been two and a half weeks now. It's very frustrating to see those of us that completed the tests early now seem to be being punished by a lack of information, one way or the other, on if we have passed. I phoned this afternoon and after hearing the pre-recorded message about test results taking 'up to a week' (ha.ha.ha.), I spoke to a representative of the fast stream who reiterated that they are marking the tests incrementally and we could still be waiting UNTIL THE END OF NEXT WEEK. Is anyone else who applied early feeling that this is becoming increasingly unfair? :frown:

It's also possible that different schemes are hearing back at different times. For those schemes with a large number of applicants (e.g. generalists), they will have had enough people apply to work out a pass mark. For smaller schemes e.g. operational research and economics, they may wait until the end of the application when they know everyone's mark to work out how many to take forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending