The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by PickleNose
Hello, does anyone know how long it's taking or likely to take to get the e-tray results?

Should be released mid-November, so in 2 weeks-ish.
I personally think that expressing your disappointment at Parity and/or Civil Service Resourcing is the most appropriate way forward here if you feel people gained an unfair advantage through crashing servers. Dumping on people who are plunged into an unfair situation due to circumstances that are also outside of their control, repeatedly, on forums, is also unfair.

Unless you expect them to withdraw, which is not appropriate, it is not adding anything constructive to the discussion.
Original post by JoJoBonetto
I personally think that expressing your disappointment at Parity and/or Civil Service Resourcing is the most appropriate way forward here if you feel people gained an unfair advantage through crashing servers. Dumping on people who are plunged into an unfair situation due to circumstances that are also outside of their control, repeatedly, on forums, is also unfair.

Unless you expect them to withdraw, which is not appropriate, it is not adding anything constructive to the discussion.

I agree. No one planned or wanted things to happen however it is how it is. It is no fault to the individuals affected on both sides and therefore people shouldn't be made to feel uneasy or that they should be held to account for it.

As I've said before, there is nothing to say those who may pass, may have done so anyway and vice versa regardless of whatever has happened.

Good luck to all who have applied.
Reply 783
Hi guys,

Am about to do the e-tray exercise in a couple of weeks. Hated the tests because those ones where you have to say what you are like as a person I always do badly on, I have no idea why I am a nice person I swear!

Messed up my e-tray last year so fingers crossed this time.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after the e-tray?
Original post by abc:)
Hi guys,

Am about to do the e-tray exercise in a couple of weeks. Hated the tests because those ones where you have to say what you are like as a person I always do badly on, I have no idea why I am a nice person I swear!

Messed up my e-tray last year so fingers crossed this time.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after the e-tray?

All communications point to us hearing by mid November :-)
Thanks!
I think I've made a mistake on my application form, but already submitted it. I received 25% extra time in exams at school and uni, but I didn't realise that I could be allowed extra time in the etray exercise. I do have a very mild disability that may affect my performance on this test, but I'm not officially disabled by the government ( I receive no benefits, etc.). Is it worth telling the civil service recruitment team?
Original post by geoglove23
I think I've made a mistake on my application form, but already submitted it. I received 25% extra time in exams at school and uni, but I didn't realise that I could be allowed extra time in the etray exercise. I do have a very mild disability that may affect my performance on this test, but I'm not officially disabled by the government ( I receive no benefits, etc.). Is it worth telling the civil service recruitment team?

Yes, I cannot stress this enough. If you were entitled to extra time in school or university exams, you are entitled to reasonable adjustments both in the assessments and the workplace. I have Asperger's and Celebral Palsy, I do not receive benefits and yet I am entitled to additional assistance in my office at work. The assessment stages of the Civil Service are no different, so let them know as soon as you possibly can.
Original post by HumanDancer
Yes, I cannot stress this enough. If you were entitled to extra time in school or university exams, you are entitled to reasonable adjustments both in the assessments and the workplace. I have Asperger's and Celebral Palsy, I do not receive benefits and yet I am entitled to additional assistance in my office at work. The assessment stages of the Civil Service are no different, so let them know as soon as you possibly can.

Thank you for your help. I have cerebral palsy also, though it is mild. It's hard to decide what counts as a disability and what doesn't, as everyone is affected differently. There's a part of me that always says "well, your not as badly affected as some people"
Original post by geoglove23
Thank you for your help. I have cerebral palsy also, though it is mild. It's hard to decide what counts as a disability and what doesn't, as everyone is affected differently. There's a part of me that always says "well, your not as badly affected as some people"

I know what you mean; regardless of your diagnosis, disability is a spectrum and one person may have greater difficulties than another with the same condition. Regardless of your own coping strategies however, you may find that you gain a position on the stream and suddenly encounter difficulties in the workplace that you never even knew you had. I certainly did not realise, for instance, that I had issues with clumsiness and organisation until I went into workplace. My coworker has the precise same diagnosis as me and does not have this problem - her weaknesses lie in the social side of things. An alternative way of thinking of it is this: most applicants on the Fast Stream do not require additional support because they do not have disabilities. Additional time is simply a way of giving you an equal chance of being considered. No matter how mild your CP is, no matter how independent you are, I would report it anyway. At the very least it's a safety net should you require help; if you do not need it in the end, then that's okay too but it also gives the Civil Service the chance to implement the resources they need to help us :h:
Reply 790
Original post by KJSwale
All communications point to us hearing by mid November :-)

Awesome thank you :smile: it's so much quicker than some other grad schemes!
Original post by Eboracum7
I have to say I'm very interested in this new process and the changes they've made. I read the Bridge Report showing that people from a lower socio-economic background only made up 4.4% of successful candidates in previous years. That is such a demoralising figure.

If you look at the statistics from 2014 for example. 20,072 people took the online tests and just 915 people were recommended for appointment. That means just 40 of those 915 people were from a lower socio-economic background (LSEB).

No wonder they've made an effort to change it.

I suspect this is a statistic that an awful lot of graduate schemes will be trying to desperately improve on. Where I live, the average graduate living wage, full time, is approximately £12,000 - £14,000 a year - the reason being that graduate roles are so few and far between, minimum wage jobs are the only option. I live on a smaller package and for many people in my boots, a move to Central London for instance is economically implausible unless you have been saving for years. It's scary stuff, eh? Let's hope these changes help break the mould a little for this year. :unsure:
Original post by HumanDancer
I suspect this is a statistic that an awful lot of graduate schemes will be trying to desperately improve on. Where I live, the average graduate living wage, full time, is approximately £12,000 - £14,000 a year - the reason being that graduate roles are so few and far between, minimum wage jobs are the only option. I live on a smaller package and for many people in my boots, a move to Central London for instance is economically implausible unless you have been saving for years. It's scary stuff, eh? Let's hope these changes help break the mould a little for this year. :unsure:

Yeah I expect that too. It doesn't surprise me that people from poorer backgrounds are put off from even applying. Opening an assessment centre in Newcastle and making the length of time you spend there shorter sounds so much more favourable if you live in the North as well. Can you imagine having to book a hotel in central London? I guess you could buddy up with some other fast streamers and find a house to share or something, bit like uni. But yeah, the cost of living in London is just :unsure:. I hope so, I really want to experience more of the process at least.
Yeah I expect that too. It doesn't surprise me that people from poorer backgrounds are put off from even applying. Opening an assessment centre in Newcastle and making the length of time you spend there shorter sounds so much more favourable if you live in the North as well. Can you imagine having to book a hotel in central London? I guess you could buddy up with some other fast streamers and find a house to share or something, bit like uni. But yeah, the cost of living in London is just :unsure:. I hope so, I really want to experience more of the process at least.

You could claim back the cost of your overnight stay in a hotel, plus train tickets to/from London, tube tickets, I even claimed back my bus fare from my house to the train station! I'm so glad it's only a half day assessment centre this year (if I get through), 8am-5:30pm was too much.
Original post by Kneale
You could claim back the cost of your overnight stay in a hotel, plus train tickets to/from London, tube tickets, I even claimed back my bus fare from my house to the train station! I'm so glad it's only a half day assessment centre this year (if I get through), 8am-5:30pm was too much.

You do have to have the money available to you in the first place though, which could be a big ask for some.
Finally got 5 minutes whilst actually fully awake to sit down and do the tests. Tried registering on the site and got an error message...
If I do get to apply it will be my 3rd time, first time I didn't get passed the tests, second time I flopped the etray, this time who knows.
Original post by jelly1000
You do have to have the money available to you in the first place though, which could be a big ask for some.

Of course. I'm from a lower socio-economic background and could only afford it upfront because of my student loan/grant and because I was working part-time while at university.
Original post by jelly1000
Finally got 5 minutes whilst actually fully awake to sit down and do the tests. Tried registering on the site and got an error message...
If I do get to apply it will be my 3rd time, first time I didn't get passed the tests, second time I flopped the etray, this time who knows.

You got a step further the second time though. Now the process has changed, who knows how far you might get :smile:. Perseverance is a great quality to have.
You got a step further the second time though. Now the process has changed, who knows how far you might get :smile:. Perseverance is a great quality to have.

True, maybe I'll have an advantage now I'm working too.
Ok just done the SJT and its made me feel really stupid, most of the time I could tell what the least effective response would be but not the most effective. I also found I had to read some of the questions three times because I'd forget the beginning of them by the time I'd got to the end. Absolutely not clue how I passed last time and not expecting to pass again! Thankfully get to skip the behavioural questionnaire as part of the guaranteed interview scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending