The Student Room Group

Is my maintenance loan right?

Hi all

I am a mature student about to embark on a PGCE/QTS SCITT (school centred initial teacher training). I am based in Lancashire and will be based at a local school for the duration of my course. It is affiliated with UCL in London who will grant me my qualification. I will go to London once a month as part of the course.

I've applied to student finance England who have granted me a maintenance loan but - and I'm not complaining here - it seems very high. It's over £12000! This does NOT include the tuition fee which has been granted separately.

The confirmation letter shows me as studying at UCL's Bloomsbury Campus. Although this is correct this isn't where I will be based full time and I think I've been awarded London rates.

I am a single parent of a 14-year old, and I will not be working during my studies. Can anyone advise me what I should be entitled to? I've rung SFE and they say it's correct...as I'm not working I am budgeting in accordance with the financial assistance I've been granted and if it's incorrect it will be financially difficult for me, so I need to get it right. Thanks in advance.
It sounds as though they've got you down as living in London. You also get extra (I'm not too sure how much) because you have a child.
Have you been sent (you can also view this online) a payment schedule? This has a breakdown of how much money you'll receive. It should say £x per term for maintenance loan, £y for tuition (paid directly to uni) and £z which is payments for having a child. (parents learning allowance, etc)
Reply 3
Thank you all very much for your replies.

I'll ring them again and try to explain again my situation - forgot to mention previously that I actually wrote to them and explained that I would be based full time in Lancashire, and that the SCITT consortium training course was not listed in their records so I used the details of the affiliating University. I'll see if a call to explain changes anything. If not then as you say, take it and say nothing else!

Appreciate all your input. Thanks again.
Reply 4
I'd double check, and have something in writing.

You don't want to get hit with a grant overpayment
Reply 5
Sooo...to update.

I've rung SFE and had a 20 minute conversation, whilst being put on hold several times for the advisor to clarify things with another staff member.

She has told me that because I am training under non-salaried school direct, I am classed as training at a university, even though I'm based in a school. As my university is based in London - even though I'm not - I get the London rate.

So there you have it. I need to write to request it in writing from the Glasgow office of SFE but the lass I spoke to has said she has noted it all up on my account in case I ring again and someone else needs to look at my case.

She assures me that it is correct.

I have a record of this call and the previous call I made in May, and a copy of the letter I sent them to explain where I'm studying. I have rung twice to query it, and both times I have been told it's correct.

I think I'll leave it at that for now...:wink:
Thanks for the update. That's interesting regarding the London loan.

I'd leave it too, I think! You've questioned it twice and whilst sometimes they may get it wrong, I don't think two different people would tell you the same wrong thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending