The Student Room Group

Erasing an AS from UCAS completely (a.k.a declining)

Hi everyone!
I know that I have the option of declining an AS if I'm not happy with my grade. However, what if the school does not allow me to do this?
Do I have the right to decline regardless of whether or not school policy allows it?
Also, given that references for my AS have already been written, would these simply not be included if I were to decline a grade? would they be removed from my UCAS application?

Finally, with the above 2 factors in mind, is it ever possible to completely erase all evidence of an AS so that even Uni's won't know anything about them?

Phwoar im sucha pessimist!
Hi everyone!
I know that I have the option of declining an AS if I'm not happy with my grade. However, what if the school does not allow me to do this?
Do I have the right to decline regardless of whether or not school policy allows it?
Also, given that references for my AS have already been written, would these simply not be included if I were to decline a grade? would they be removed from my UCAS application?

Finally, with the above 2 factors in mind, is it ever possible to completely erase all evidence of an AS so that even Uni's won't know anything about them?

Phwoar im sucha pessimist!
If you want to decline it you'd have to ask your exam officer. Declines can only happen through the school (unless you're a private candidate).

The subject references will be combined into one reference which goes with your UCAS application. So I'd talk to you teachers / head of sixth about it (I assume you're yet to receive your AS results).

Only way to hide exam results is to decline. I say hide because if you decline your AS result but still sit the A2 units, then you can get an A2 award (which is policy with some schools). The AS marks will remain in the 'bank', but unless they're cashed-in (i.e. receive certification) universities won't know.
Reply 2
Nor can they find out - if UCAS does do a random check with your application, it won't appear as it hasn't been accepted by the candidate.
I think it depends whether you intend to just resit the AS, resit the AS while continuting to A2 or pretend you never took it. If it's one of the first two, the subject will go on your form with the grade as pending, so you probably would have it included in the reference, especially if you're carrying on to A2 and you need a predicted grade. But if it's the last one, it wouldn't make sense to include it in your reference because it wouldn't appear in your qualifications section. I'm not sure whether you have the right to decline a grade, but if you ask your exams officer, I don't see why they wouldn't let you.

Latest

Trending

Trending