The Student Room Group

Effect of first year grades for Training Contract applications

Hi! I'm a first year LLB student in LSE and my results were highly disappointing. With only 2.2's and a 42% in Public Law, I fear that this will affect my entire career prospects, starting with application for Training Contracts.
In LSE, they say that the first year doesn't count for the final grade. Do I have any chance to get a training contract if I get 2.1 in second and third year?
Reply 1
Academics are only a small part of getting a TC, you need to be a well rounded candidate in terms of skills and experience.

If you do well next year and in your third year, first year results may just be seen as an anomaly. You should focus on extra curriculars, gaining as much practical experience as you can and building your skills. You should be doing this anyway, but it will definitely help to make up for some poor grades
Reply 2
Original post by onthe26
Hi! I'm a first year LLB student in LSE and my results were highly disappointing. With only 2.2's and a 42% in Public Law, I fear that this will affect my entire career prospects, starting with application for Training Contracts.
In LSE, they say that the first year doesn't count for the final grade. Do I have any chance to get a training contract if I get 2.1 in second and third year?

Sorry to hear that. I'm sort of in the same boat, but my query boils down to this: do we apply for TCs with our first year or second year results?

I know the deadline for many TCs is 31 July, by which time next year I should already have my 2nd year results. However, is submitting the application in July cutting it too close (i.e. is it too late)?
Reply 3
Original post by hannah.t
Sorry to hear that. I'm sort of in the same boat, but my query boils down to this: do we apply for TCs with our first year or second year results?

I know the deadline for many TCs is 31 July, by which time next year I should already have my 2nd year results. However, is submitting the application in July cutting it too close (i.e. is it too late)?

Most application forms ask for all the grades you've achieved so far so your first and second year results. A lot of applications hit firms desks in the last couple of days before the deadline and a lot of these are unsuccessful, but that's more to do with them being a last minute rushed job to get them in before the deadline. If you've spent time on you application and tailored it to the firm and you're just waiting on your results, this shouldn't be a problem. But you can always submit your application without, explain that you haven't received your results yet and update the firm when you get them if you are successful beyond the app stage.
I would also like to know this as whilst I just scraped a 2:1, I have a couple of 57% modules. Damn I need to work much harder the coming year, I thought I put a lot of reading In tbh! Just shows. Hopefully my vac scheme chances aren't ruined. I am hoping SEO London help me out big time this year, I am good commercially just in the exams sometimes I am not a super academic like some
Students
Reply 5
The importance of academics varies based on what else you have on your CV, and what university you go to (sadly). If your CV is bare thin, then your first year results won't cut it. If you have been to various open days/built up contacts, then you might be in with a shot. This is more applicable to those with mid/high 2.2s.

I know people with low 2.2s who managed VS' at MC firms, but they were aggressive networkers.

I personally got a 2.2 in first year, and still manged to get a few offers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mike1994
The importance of academics varies based on what else you have on your CV, and what university you go to (sadly). If your CV is bare thin, then your first year results won't cut it. If you have been to various open days/built up contacts, then you might be in with a shot. This is more applicable to those with mid/high 2.2s.

I know people with low 2.2s who managed VS' at MC firms, but they were aggressive networkers.

I personally got a 2.2 in first year, and still manged to get a few offers.

That's interesting to hear, thanks for answering. The 2 modules were 57% and my other module grades in first term were 63 62 60. I have been to open days at Freshfields, hogan lovells, King and wood mallesons, rpc. I am also a student rep for aspiring solicitors and am a part of SEO London (need to update details for summer launch pad). If you don't mind me asking, what sort of firms did you get offers from, and what did you do to improve in second year? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
That's interesting to hear, thanks for answering. The 2 modules were 57% and my other module grades in first term were 63 62 60. I have been to open days at Freshfields, hogan lovells, King and wood mallesons, rpc. I am also a student rep for aspiring solicitors and am a part of SEO London (need to update details for summer launch pad). If you don't mind me asking, what sort of firms did you get offers from, and what did you do to improve in second year? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about your grades, might have difficulties with the MC, but they won't be the reason for rejections across the board.

I did schemes at US/SC firms.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, I scraped a 2.1 overall. If I had my time again, I would really make use of your tutors, before any assessed essays/exams. Go and ask them specifically what do you need to do to get a strong 2.1 in the assignment. Get all your scripts back from last year (even the 2.1s) and ask your tutor to go through them with you.

Also, work consistently across the year. Don't let ECs/work exp take over. My focus wavered/did too many ECs, hence the shaky final mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending