The Student Room Group

Maths help

The question is asking me to circle the equation with roots 4 and -8 and the options are: 4x(x-8)=0, (x-4)(x+8)=0, x^2 -32 = 0 and (x+4)(x-8)=0. The answer is not what I'm interested in but more so how to go about answering similar questions like these
Reply 1
A polynomial with roots α,β,γ....ζ \alpha, \beta, \gamma .... \zeta has equation (xα)(xβ)(xγ)...(xζ) (x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma)...(x-\zeta) .
Since when you plug in one of the roots for x it will be equal to 0.
Ok so first of all solve each of the x values when the equation is equal to 0

For example on the first one, 4x=0 and x-8=0

what are the roots of this first equations? (ie what are the values of x)

repeat this method for the other three equations :smile:
Original post by Botcampers
The question is asking me to circle the equation with roots 4 and -8 and the options are: 4x(x-8)=0, (x-4)(x+8)=0, x^2 -32 = 0 and (x+4)(x-8)=0. The answer is not what I'm interested in but more so how to go about answering similar questions like these

isn't this a question in the new gcse maths paper(aqa)
Reply 4
Original post by theBranicAc
isn't this a question in the new gcse maths paper(aqa)
Not sure. My teacher gave it to me so I could revise
Reply 5
Original post by Katiee224
Ok so first of all solve each of the x values when the equation is equal to 0

For example on the first one, 4x=0 and x-8=0

what are the roots of this first equations? (ie what are the values of x)

repeat this method for the other three equations :smile:

Oh! That makes sense. I was baffled by the word root but now it makes sense. Just look for the values of X. Thank you
Original post by Botcampers
Oh! That makes sense. I was baffled by the word root but now it makes sense. Just look for the values of X. Thank you

The values of x are when y=0. If you plotted the graph of each of these equations you would see this is where the graph crosses the x-axis.

I recommend you draw out the graphs to see visually where the routes are once you've found them. :smile:
Reply 7
Just to elaborate, this is why we set equations to 0 and factorise, if a polynomial has roots, 2, 3 , 1 and -1 then its equation would be y=(x2)(x3)(x1)(x+1) y=(x-2)(x-3)(x-1)(x+1) .

Quick Reply

Latest