The Student Room Group

Can't afford my rent- consequences?

This may be in the wrong forum..
But I can't afford my rent payment. It was due a 4 days ago and I still haven't paid it. I do have a week extension as last month I told him I was getting paid on the 7th, which was true last month and I thought I'd have it this month but I have absolutely nothing to my name.
I've only made it worse for myself by telling my parents I had the rent money (I was going to get it together myself as I do some webcamming work but that hasn't worked out well this month) as they had next to no money and my mum struggled to pay me back a small amount of money that she owed me and didn't want to put this burden on them.

I do only have this month and next month left on the tenancy- my mum said she would pay next months and also at some point pay me back for this month (although I've told her she shouldn't). I have some really promising job interest so hopefully I should have also started a grad job by next month, maybe even starting next week. But I just don't have it now.

My real question is, tl;dr:

Since there's no way that I can pay him until next month, what will the consequences be? In terms of my credit rating, potential legal action, getting a new rental place afterwards etc.?

I know this is my fault and should have been more organised and prepared so please spare me the judgement.
You need to talk to your landlord and your parents.
Original post by Anonymous
This may be in the wrong forum..
But I can't afford my rent payment. It was due a 4 days ago and I still haven't paid it. I do have a week extension as last month I told him I was getting paid on the 7th, which was true last month and I thought I'd have it this month but I have absolutely nothing to my name.
I've only made it worse for myself by telling my parents I had the rent money (I was going to get it together myself as I do some webcamming work but that hasn't worked out well this month) as they had next to no money and my mum struggled to pay me back a small amount of money that she owed me and didn't want to put this burden on them.

I do only have this month and next month left on the tenancy- my mum said she would pay next months and also at some point pay me back for this month (although I've told her she shouldn't). I have some really promising job interest so hopefully I should have also started a grad job by next month, maybe even starting next week. But I just don't have it now.

My real question is, tl;dr:

Since there's no way that I can pay him until next month, what will the consequences be? In terms of my credit rating, potential legal action, getting a new rental place afterwards etc.?

I know this is my fault and should have been more organised and prepared so please spare me the judgement.

As a landlord myself - I would want to know the situation. I assume that he has your deposit. These things happen and landlords are flexible - especially if you have been a good tenant - but you must tell him the situation and give him a plan of when you can pay. He could bring legal action but it would be too expensive to do that for a couple of months rent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending