The Student Room Group

NHS Jobs constantly unsuccessful with my job applications

Scroll to see replies

Thanks. I got one interview after many applications and got rejected in the interview. This gives me hope.
I've got about 20 years clinical experience all had been for either charities or private contractors, I'm equivalent to a band 7 clinician. I've applied for a dozen band 7 jobs with the NHS, I get interviews and come out feeling confident but never got the job. On a couple of accaisions I've been told that they have given the job to someone with nhs experience. I've got two ex-colleagues that have worked in the NHS and after leaving the contractor they have both been given the first job they apply for. I would not have considered they were particularly good clinicians. This is my feeling: the NHS prefers to recruit in house or people returning to the NHS and will promote someone with less experience from within the NHS. You've got more chance getting a job at a lower level (they get more for their money) and work your way back up. The difficulty is that you may have to relocate a few times just to get back to where you are in terms of pay and conditions which is a problem if you have a family.
How rude of you to insult us. I leave my family at home to go and put my life at the hospital to save lives and all we get is stereotype! Wow how shallow can you be or think! Why is NHS full of foreigners then? Have you asked yourself that question?! People like you make our lives and work so hard.. if you have nothing better to say, don’t speak.
I work in the NHS for the last 2 years and have categorically seen and experienced pure racism and sexism. As well the NHS is dominated by ultra greedy managers who like to appoint their own kind generally either white or black. Its the same with trainee roles in the NHS. I applied for a *****y band 2 healthcare assistant role aswell as being a previous qualified nurse been told my application has been unsuccessful with no feedback provided. Also there is a lot of female to Male jealousy as the women essentially run the NHS and are in all the top cushy roles paid £28k plus with a long lunch and 2 breaks and take their sweet time sitting their fat ass and having cushy meetings and cups of tea with almost no accountability- so when we apply its instant THREAT!!
Original post by Thelazar1212
I work in the NHS for the last 2 years and have categorically seen and experienced pure racism and sexism. As well the NHS is dominated by ultra greedy managers who like to appoint their own kind generally either white or black. Its the same with trainee roles in the NHS. I applied for a *****y band 2 healthcare assistant role aswell as being a previous qualified nurse been told my application has been unsuccessful with no feedback provided. Also there is a lot of female to Male jealousy as the women essentially run the NHS and are in all the top cushy roles paid £28k plus with a long lunch and 2 breaks and take their sweet time sitting their fat ass and having cushy meetings and cups of tea with almost no accountability- so when we apply its instant THREAT!!

That is a load of rubbish, and it seems more like your attitude that is stopping you from getting interviews. If you think it's a "*****y band 2 job" you're not going to put as just effort into your application as someone who actually wants it - and if you're a qualified nurse then that will work against you when applying for lower grade jobs.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
That is a load of rubbish, and it seems more like your attitude that is stopping you from getting interviews. If you think it's a "*****y band 2 job" you're not going to put as just effort into your application as someone who actually wants it - and if you're a qualified nurse then that will work against you when applying for lower grade jobs.

Have you worked in the nhs? If not then you are not qualified to comment. period. As far as effort goes I am the #1 person who has been commended by patients to my manager and also the one for responding to most patients. It's not really about effort it is more of a case of who you know. For example one of the team leaders' daughter has interviewed for a position as well as a more senior colleague and has won the job and instantly been given more responsibility than others who have been there longer. So as long as you have not experienced the same then you definitely are not qualified to comment. You can have an opinion but that's all it is. Leave the real comments to the ones who actually work there. Also, as far as "If you think it's a "*****y band 2 job you're not going to put as just effort into your application as someone who actually wants it" is also highly incorrect because having qualifications and experience will befit one for a higher banding role and these have been purposefully concealed via hush hush meetings on several occasions and also listed those jobs in external jobs boards so I and other candidates who are not asskissers will never know about them until the job has been appointed and then again they are higher banding jobs within our department and I am a senior member of staff and have also applied for band 3 and 4 positions. I have a physics and maths degree and am hospital qualified for dental nursing and registered with the GDC , so what I am saying as far as my department in my nhs hospital is bang on. However, if you're on the side being favored you will say what I'm saying is rubbish even though you haven't walked a step in my shoes because you may not experience this maybe due to factors out of your control. I'm not saying every nhs hospital is like this but there are some that are highly corrupt in my experience. You just wait til you get into one and you'll be marking my words when you get ousted or shunned in your team because you are more smart or put more effort than the team and because of that you are seen as a threat - Just wait and see - you won't get far - I don't wish this treatment on anybody but if it happens you'll find yourself raging at the inequalities and unfair practices. Peace
Have you worked in the nhs? If not then you are not qualified to comment. period. As far as effort goes I am the #1 person who has been commended by patients to my manager and also the one for responding to most patients. It's not really about effort it is more of a case of who you know. For example one of the team leaders' daughter has interviewed for a position as well as a more senior colleague and has won the job and instantly been given more responsibility than others who have been there longer. So as long as you have not experienced the same then you definitely are not qualified to comment. You can have an opinion but that's all it is. Leave the real comments to the ones who actually work there. Also, as far as "If you think it's a "*****y band 2 job you're not going to put as just effort into your application as someone who actually wants it" is also highly incorrect because having qualifications and experience will befit one for a higher banding role and these have been purposefully concealed via hush hush meetings on several occasions and also listed those jobs in external jobs boards so I and other candidates who are not asskissers will never know about them until the job has been appointed and then again they are higher banding jobs within our department and I am a senior member of staff and have also applied for band 3 and 4 positions. I have a physics and maths degree and am hospital qualified for dental nursing and registered with the GDC , so what I am saying as far as my department in my nhs hospital is bang on. However, if you're on the side being favored you will say what I'm saying is rubbish even though you haven't walked a step in my shoes because you may not experience this maybe due to factors out of your control. I'm not saying every nhs hospital is like this but there are some that are highly corrupt in my experience. You just wait til you get into one and you'll be marking my words when you get ousted or shunned in your team because you are more smart or put more effort than the team and because of that you are seen as a threat - Just wait and see - you won't get far - I don't wish this treatment on anybody but if it happens you'll find yourself raging at the inequalities and unfair practices. Peace

Yeah, I've worked in the NHS for many years now, so by your logic I am qualified to say you're talking rubbish :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BlueLightDriver
Yeah, I've worked in the NHS for many years now, so by your logic I am qualified to say you're talking rubbish :smile:

Ah Thanks for your reply, but I can see that you are talking BS with that defeated one-liner. Well done mate - have you read the comments left by an equivalent Band 7 clinical staff above. It seems that looking at your badge count that your more interested in shooting down relevant comments with one stock lines like: "that's a load of rubbish" I couldn't even believe that you have worked in the nhs "for many years" by your claim. Thanks, I shouldn't waste my precious time responding to somebody on a fantasy trip in their head. It sounds responding to and following these threads is your full time job ".. for many years now," I've got a R-E-A-L job to get to in the N-H-S. I commend you on your one line reply - that took ALOT of work but leaves little scope for exploration. Bye Bye :wink:
Ah Thanks for your reply, but I can see that you are talking BS with that defeated one-liner. Well done mate - have you read the comments left by an equivalent Band 7 clinical staff above. It seems that looking at your badge count that your more interested in shooting down relevant comments with one stock lines like: "that's a load of rubbish" I couldn't even believe that you have worked in the nhs "for many years" by your claim. Thanks, I shouldn't waste my precious time responding to somebody on a fantasy trip in their head. It sounds responding to and following these threads is your full time job ".. for many years now," I've got a R-E-A-L job to get to in the N-H-S. I commend you on your one line reply - that took ALOT of work but leaves little scope for exploration. Bye Bye :wink:

I don't even know what a badge count is. I started an AMA thread here years ago, and still get questions and PMs from it. So you might not believe I've worked in the nhs for many years, but my posting history shows I have.
Reply 29
Hello, pls how many days after the interview did you get the feedback from NHS ?

Original post by Aasthac25
Thanks. I got one interview after many applications and got rejected in the interview. This gives me hope.
Do they notify you that you have been unsuccessful? Or does the interview date just pass ?
Original post by Tnmagnet1
Do they notify you that you have been unsuccessful? Or does the interview date just pass ?

It depends on the Trust and department. Sometimes they'll notify you, sometimes you just don't hear anything.

You can sometimes fill in a survey through the "my applications" page on NHS Jobs, so if you don't hear anything you can give them feedback.
I have worked for the trust for 7 years now and I have applied for roughly 25 jobs to upgrade my band but have been unsuccessful each time. Example of some reasons I didn't get the positionAsked for Microsoft software experience. (Excel word etc) 2 years experience I told them I had 15 and they said I didn't meet the criteria. Looking for 3 years experience in administration setting/environment I have 7 years told me it was too many years. Absolute madness.
Reply 33
I don't like this racist comment here. Those foreign doctors actually agree to work for less money than the local people and provide NHS with quality services as much as possible. They work long 12 hours shifts in horrible conditions(that is true the condition outside London are horrible for the staff) for ridiculous money. The young foreign doctors are taking less money than a young police officer or another public sector job. Without this low paid foreigners in NHS England would never ever be able to hire big staff and to cover adequately the needs of 80 million people. It is not hard to work for NHS of course, but is rare to find an entry-level job unless you are a qualified student. As a foreigner I updated the whole IT equipment and systems of a local Trust which had hospitals in 4 cities, covering more than 30 buildings. I was paid 4 times less than I would get for the same job in the private sector, and after finishing the project NHS no longer needed me, so I was made redundant. I was basically paid almost the minimum wage, risking my life covering all the wards during the pandemic for long shifts - more than 10 hours, many of them unpaid.. But I am still happy and proud of my work and that I was able to contribute to society and help the health sector. The money was enough for me to live a normal life, I am not greedy and personal development is more important to me, which NHS definitely gave me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 34
Because is just disgusting :- First on 50 applications I got 12 interviews all unsuccesfull.-All pannel interviews are just women, women in administration, women in the head office, I saw just women that hire only othee women.- I applied from band 3 till band 5, 2 master degree in Mathemtics and Project Management, 1 certificate in Data analysis and 25 years in Management but all the time unsuccessfull.-Who was interview me don't have any degree, any qualification APM to be Project Manager, I would like to know how they become Project Manager that they don't have study any Project Management qualifications?- At last interview I decide to cancel, because I think I understood their procedure : they call you to make numbers, they need to choice 1 candidate between at least 3-4, so the HR manager need candidates and they call you, but they have already decide, usually is always someone that is internal and already has experience in NHS.- When the gov says, we need people in NHS, means just the care people to do the low skill job.- I will not apply anymore for NHS ,horrible experience .
Reply 35
Original post by Kyx
Because the NHS requires everyone who works for them to be more than perfect.

You can say that again. I sometimes feel like giving up but I don’t have a choice than to get in.
Reply 36
Original post by Jee1
Why is it soooooo hard to get a job at the NHS I have applied to so many vacancies there but my applications are always unsuccessful

Yeah you can say that again. I have close to 68 applications with more than half unsuccessful. It is so discouraging.

Your problem is that your arrogance shines through.

i know a number of people who previously had HCP roles and have returned to the NHS into Band 2 and 3 roles , sometimes after many years away, you will be looked at slightly harder but if have a good , sound explanation and undersdtand the what and why of your limitatiosn coming back into a Assistant grade
Reply 38
Original post by Kyx
Because the NHS requires everyone who works for them to be more than perfect.

This is funny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending