The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idontwantto
Judging by your post history I can't say with your academic credentials that IB is for you either lol

First hand been told that it does make you a more/less competitive applicant which is what you have just ignored in my post with your analytical skills and attention to detail. Obviously a first in economics will make a more competitive applicant than a first in for example social sciences from the same uni, the actual conversion of non-finance degrees is far lower than what you're led to believe online.

Take it or leave it bro, I don't have the patience nor time to argue with you.

And hopefully the time you spent stalking me rather than doing applications or revising or even virtually anything else was worth it. Because for me at least, it wouldn't be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How competitive is Monitor Deloitte? Would Warwick Business School with "average" work experience suffice or is it more LSE/Oxbridge dominated like BCG, McK, etc
Trying to pick between Exeter and Notts for insurance. which is better? Exeter is offering lower grades but Notts appear to have a very higher number of ppl entering IB comparable to bristol
Original post by offsetWHOOP
Trying to pick between Exeter and Notts for insurance. which is better? Exeter is offering lower grades but Notts appear to have a very higher number of ppl entering IB comparable to bristol

Both is fine. I'm from Notts in my 3rd year. There are people who have gotten GS Securities offer, DB IBD offer etc. But there are very, very few of them. I think it's pretty much the same in semi-targets where you've a few outstanding ones and the majority just don't give a ****. You'll be fine in either, pick a school/city you like more.
Original post by offsetWHOOP

Agree with makr, choose the uni you'd prefer. People have banking offers from each of the semi-targets, once you get to a certain level of uni, it doesn't really matter.

I'm at exeter and we have plenty of people in the years above with Rothschild, Citi, Barclays, MS etc offers. Banks come on campus for dinners, presentations etc. similar at any somewhat targeted university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham tends to be quite strong semi target compared to other semi targets, not sure about Exeter
1. Do I stand a chance with economics and history from Leeds, and

2. How much of a better chance would I have with history from warwick
Reply 387
Original post by Tom191
1. Do I stand a chance with economics and history from Leeds, and

2. How much of a better chance would I have with history from warwick

Much stronger chance from Warwick. However, first question you should be asking yourself can you do 3 years of straight history?
WARWICK!!!
Original post by vela1
Much stronger chance from Warwick. However, first question you should be asking yourself can you do 3 years of straight history?

I can definitely do 3 years of history. Is the difference between warwick and leeds completely unassailable, or can a fair bit of proactiveness make up the "deficit" between the two.
whether you are doing consulting or investment banking, a really solid experience is the LSE SU Alternative Investment Conference - one of my friends even got a spring insight from it! They take in students from everywhere, so you end up with like 300 of the smartest finance students! ya'll should defenitely give it a shot! I think the deadline is today as well
Reply 391
Original post by Tom191
I can definitely do 3 years of history. Is the difference between warwick and leeds completely unassailable, or can a fair bit of proactiveness make up the "deficit" between the two.

Yeah theres a huge difference between the two, one is a target the other is not even a semi-target. I personally don't think you could make up the deficit. I mean even people from targets get rejected, competition is ridiculous.
(edited 6 years ago)
Aiming for AAB for a level and im torn between putting lough or exeter as my firm. In your opinion which looks better to IBs (planning to study economics).
Original post by humanteaparty
Aiming for AAB for a level and im torn between putting lough or exeter as my firm. In your opinion which looks better to IBs (planning to study economics).

Come to exeter, we're cool and hip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Come to exeter, we're cool and hip.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course are you doing at exeter? Do you enjoy it there? :smile:

they both place, would say they are about on par in terms of recognition. (would imagine)
What course are you doing at exeter? Do you enjoy it there? :smile:

Maths and CompSci Yeah, the uni is absolutely fantastic. Great people, great facilities, great lecturers. Decent amount of on campus engagement from banks. Lots of people with solid offers in the years above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
they both place, would say they are about on par in terms of recognition. (would imagine)

gonna take offence here. Loughborough is the enemy and not nearly as great :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
year 13 - BSc Economics & Politics at The University of Exeter (A*AA offer = my firm) where does this put me in the job market? do you think I would need to do an MSc in finance and investment for example?
Original post by sahil19
year 13 - BSc Economics & Politics at The University of Exeter (A*AA offer = my firm) where does this put me in the job market? do you think I would need to do an MSc in finance and investment for example?

Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending