The Student Room Group

Is it worth going for an eye test?

It just came into my head yesterday, I haven't been to the opticians for 5 years. I did go every year before that, they always said I was "borderline" for needing reading glasses and I believe the last appointment I went to they did prescribe my first prescription glasses just for reading (5 years ago).

I did my driving test the other day, I did manage to read the number plate on the eye check - however I wouldn't say I found it easy.

Would it be worth going considering I will soon be getting a car. I don't feel my eyesight is really that bad. Just really getting peace-of-mind is everything is alright. I don't want to look really strange going for an eye test for no reason.
Reply 1
Of course it's worth it if you're 18 or under and in full time education then it's on the NHS anyway, there's no reason not to have one. And it's so much nicer being able to see without everything being blurry or having to strain to see things.
Reply 2
Original post by BobSausage
Of course it's worth it if you're 18 or under and in full time education then it's on the NHS anyway, there's no reason not to have one. And it's so much nicer being able to see without everything being blurry or having to strain to see things.

Thanks for your reply. I'm 19 and run a business (self-employed) so I would need to pay. However I believe I should probably go considering I haven't been since I was 14. I just don't want to be like awkward or strange, would I still be in their records as its been 5 years!
Strongly recommend you go and have an eye test. 5 years is a long time. I have one every year. You can go to any optician of your choice and they will take your details and check your eyes. Even if you don't need glasses, they can check if your eyes are healthy and nothing going on. Doesn't cost much either.*
I recommend going, I went about a month ago for the first time in six years and although I was scared about going it made me feel better once I had done it. Even if you get the glasses and keep them in your glovebox and don't use them at least you have them on hand if you ever feel you need to pull over and put them on. If you need to wear glasses and you don't you're only going to strain your eyes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest