The Student Room Group

Should I phone in sick during my probation period?

I have been working as an online shopper at sainsburys for about a month now, my probation period is 6 months. I have been sick for the past two days with the flu but went into work anyway, but spent a lot of time coughing whilst picking the customers food. Working in the chilled area didn't help much either. After having some rest I do not feel much better and I am not sure if I should go into work, (I start at 4am) . Many of the other workers have said calling in sick during your probation means you will be fired straight away.

Just wanted some advice on if I should go in and if anyone has worked for sainsburys and knows if I would be fired straight away?
it probably depends on your manager, personally I would go and speak to your manager immediately after arriving and explain the situation (i.e. I'm really sick but I'm aware I'm on probation and don't want to be fired so I've dragged myself in but I feel terrible, if I can't cope and have to go home will I be fired?)

if your manager is reasonable they will see how sick you are and understand that you can't control when sickness hits but unfortunately some unreasonable bosses might make an issue of it
I wouldn't recommend doing what the above poster says as that puts the manager in a difficult position where they have no notice to replace you. The end result being it will force a colleague into working a longer day or someone coming in on their day off.

If you are going to call sick or want to discuss it with your manager try and do it with as much notice as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending