The Student Room Group

I was fired from an apprenticeship after nearly 3 months

I started an apprenticeship about 2-3 months ago and I thought everything was going well until I got sent a text message saying I no longer had a job with them. I was very surprised as there was no indication that this was going to happen. I was told I was doing well. I have tried to get in contact with my college tutor but since this happened on a Friday I have to wait until Monday. Someone helped me call my employer and apparently my college and them agreed to postpone my course until Easter. I had not been made aware of this and the tutor hasn't been in contact with me. This whole situation has left me feeling confused, angry and upset and I have no clue what to do.
Reply 1
what company was this with?
Reply 2
Not very professional communication, I can understand why you are upset. Stay calm though and understand what’s going on. There could be a sensible explanation and all is not lost. Once you know the facts you can decide how to respond
Original post by Gandu786
what company was this with?

It's local business so I won't share the name
Normally as an employee you can't be fired at the drop of the hat except in the case of gross misconduct which would be documented by the employer. Usually it would be expected that you woulhave had meetings and official warnings (or else you would probably have a good case for an employment tribunal).

However, apprentices are kind of a weird area and I'm not really sure how it works. One would have expected if the course provider had concerns they would've raised this with you, and likewise the employer.

I would advise you to ask for feedback on why this has occurred so you can understand the situation better. Maybe also speak with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.
I went to the college today to try and get some answers and my tutor was at a different site and couldn't talk to me. The other tutor refused to talk to me and kept asking me for information that they already had. I shouldn't have to wait for answers that I should already know. A support worker said she is going to call my employer and see if she can get any answers from them while we wait for the college to respond. I hate this whole situation.
I've honestly had enough. The employer is saying I'm a liar and the college will not respond to me even though they said they would. The employer is lying about conversations that never happened and saying we discussed my firing. I've never had any support of them. They even said during a previous phone call that they wouldn't have hired me if they knew I had mental health problems. The tutor was meant to call me earlier and hasn't. He's not answering my calls despite saying he was free.
Original post by Throwaway97531
I've honestly had enough. The employer is saying I'm a liar and the college will not respond to me even though they said they would. The employer is lying about conversations that never happened and saying we discussed my firing. I've never had any support of them. They even said during a previous phone call that they wouldn't have hired me if they knew I had mental health problems. The tutor was meant to call me earlier and hasn't. He's not answering my calls despite saying he was free.

Well it's illegal for an employer to discriminate against you on the basis of protected characteristics under the Equality Act (which many things termed as "mental health problems" end up falling under), including refusing to hire you, unless I think the possible exception is if they can demonstrate you require reasonable adjustments they are not able to facilitate (and thus are not reasonable in that specific context).

I would strongly suggest contacting your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and seeing what they advise and if they can recommend any advocacy groups to you if applicable. You can also then discuss your situation in much more specific detail with them so they can understand exactly what condition(s) you have and how that factors into the whole picture.
Reply 9
Original post by Throwaway97531

Thats absolutely disgusting. Im sorry you had to go through that, do you have anything documented? That person has violated a protected characteristic.
Original post by artful_lounger
Normally as an employee you can't be fired at the drop of the hat except in the case of gross misconduct which would be documented by the employer. Usually it would be expected that you woulhave had meetings and official warnings (or else you would probably have a good case for an employment tribunal).

However, apprentices are kind of a weird area and I'm not really sure how it works. One would have expected if the course provider had concerns they would've raised this with you, and likewise the employer.

I would advise you to ask for feedback on why this has occurred so you can understand the situation better. Maybe also speak with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Will have still been in probation period of their contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending