The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ecossewarrior please don't generalise.
I want to go into Accountancy, not just for the money. Even the 'monkey work' that I did while on WE (counting receipts, filing, that kind of stuff) is an integral part of the job and something I cannot wait to start.

*Does not want a flame war*
Reply 21
Lets see if you're still saying the same thing 1/2/3/10 years down the line.
i know someone in kpmg tax and they hate it. Working for the big4 gives you some respect because of the big name and business cards lol but from what iv heard the work gets very repetitive even tho it initially sounds appealing. In tax its a 9-5 office job and he rarely goes out to clients and said he gets constant emails with clients demanding work and you have to oblige as they pay the firm about £350 p/h work. I know corp finance in regional offices will be small time stuff and they work longer hours, but would be interesting to hear about advisory work at the big4?
Reply 23
So moral of the story is... Accountancy = Same work, every day, for 365 day's. :redface:
T_Bag
So moral of the story is... Accountancy = Same work, every day, for 365 day's. :redface:

:eek: No Christmas break :eek:
Reply 25
Lol didn't mean it like that, but im sure many work during christmas, my uncle was an accountant for shisheido and had to work in xmas.
Reply 26
Is there anybody in this thread actally interested in accountancy?

Personally, I couldn't see it as a career, but it does have its useful areas.
T_Bag

But many jobs are like that so i wouldn't worry. Loads of companies/sectors try to big up their industry to be fast paced and amazing but for example I have read people from top law firms saying their work is mundane and is basically researching fro mbooks - 60+ hours a week.
Reply 28
Clubber Lang
But many jobs are like that so i wouldn't worry. Loads of companies/sectors try to big up their industry to be fast paced and amazing but for example I have read people from top law firms saying their work is mundane and is basically researching fro mbooks - 60+ hours a week.

Yeah, meh, thats life, if you want spontaneaty, join the army!
Yeah exactly, what other jobs can you think of that are out there?. The manufacturing industry is dead and with mass immigration jobs get harder to find each year. People who do accountancy are pretty luck in terms of the money for the level of qualification. The only fun jobs I can think of are medicine being a soldier and possibly teaching. The key is to stay in education for as long as possible and take plenty of holidays :biggrin:
Reply 30
Guy Secretan
Yeah exactly, what other jobs can you think of that are out there?. The manufacturing industry is dead and with mass immigration jobs get harder to find each year. People who do accountancy are pretty luck in terms of the money for the level of qualification. The only fun jobs I can think of are medicine being a soldier and possibly teaching. The key is to stay in education for as long as possible and take plenty of holidays :biggrin:

i work in a hospital atm, and trust me, its nothing fun. Dr's just go around and tick some boxes and naff off.
Oh right what do you do. Yeah but they get paid **** loads get to stay in uni for five years and most importantly girls love it!
Reply 32
Guy Secretan
Oh right what do you do. Yeah but they get paid **** loads get to stay in uni for five years and most importantly girls love it!

haha, i sell refreshments to them, and i want to get out the hosp as fast as i can, a dingy, gloomy environment... yeah they get paid well though, dno about girls loving it, but their parents sure do.
I just imagine working in a hospital to be constantly depressing. People being ill, people dying, crying relatives... etc. But then, also I guess they allow people to become healthy again so it could be fairly rewarding...
Reply 34
The Regend
I just imagine working in a hospital to be constantly depressing. People being ill, people dying, crying relatives... etc. But then, also I guess they allow people to become healthy again so it could be fairly rewarding...

meh, you see that rarely, and if you do, it will be for a day or two, then they'll be at home, leaviing the hosp with sick people. Of course :rolleyes:
...or back with MRSA! :P

Latest

Trending

Trending