The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

CCCD in AS to ABB with 2 resits, missed A* by 2 UMS and an A by 5....
Anyone resit 3 maths modules (c1,c2,s1) and go from a High C to an A? Please say if it is possible
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

I didn't get the worse grades in AS I got ACU retook the year got 5 B's so A2 I have to get better.
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

A A A B C at AS, with the B and C in Biology and Chemistry which I needed for dentistry.

Yesterday, I got A* A* A* at A2, with Biology and Chemistry. You can do it pal, don't worry :smile:
Reply 84
I'm not sure if it's a success, but I was a straight A/A* student at GCSE, who managed to get an ABDE at AS level, thankfully, I dropped the E, from A level Chemistry. It was a bad decision to take it in the first place :':wink:, on results day of A2, I was predicted AAB to go study at Queen Mary University, with Surrey as my insurance; however, I did not manage to improve my AS biology grade (D) to an A as I'd hoped, despite the extra amount of work I put in this year - the bio grade did go up though - but I did achieve two A*s in Religious Studies and English Literature, scoring full marks in the latter's exam. This led to me applying for adjustment, and I am now holding an unconditional adjustment offer for King's College. Despite this, I sincerely hope that your mood improves, feel better!! Even if you feel downcast right now, somewhere in the world, the sun is still shining, so there's always hope. :smile:
Original post by AppleB
My cousin who is now a dentist got grade C's at AS in bio and Chem
At A2 she got A's

Hope this helps :smile: Xx

I want to study Dentistry at university and I have a B in biology and a C in Chemistry - how did your cousin's predicted grades work out? I could really do with some help because now I'm not sure if I can even do Dentistry
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi, I got a B in AS Maths yesterday and I'm gutted. It was close to an A (3 UMS off) but either way I want to be aiming for top marks, not just 'scraping' an A. Could you please share some tips how to bring my Maths up to an A and potentially an A*? I got 78 UMS in each C1 & C2, and 81 in S1. I will be doing C3, C4, and M1 next year.

Also, a great set of results. That's really inspiring.

Thank you :smile: As for tips, I would just tell you to exhaust every single question you can get your hands on. I did all the past papers 2-3 times and did papers as far back as 2002... You should use physicsandmathstutor.com because the resources on there for maths and further maths are beyond belief. Good luck getting that A/A* next year. It's just a matter of dedication and practice, and making sure you understand how to do every type of question possible.
Reply 87
BBBC at AS to A*A*B. God knows how
Original post by Callum323
At AS I got BBCC in biology, chemistry, maths and physics repectively. I got biology remarked to an A, just barely, so ABCC. I dropped physics as it was my worst subject.

At A2 I got AAA, chemistry was 1 UMS off an A* and biology was 3 UMS off an A*. I thought I worked hard at AS but this year I worked so much harder and it paid off :h:

IMPRESSIVE! Ahh must feel so nice to experience hard work paying off.
What does it feel like to have "worked so much harder". I will be taking bio, chem, maths to A2 as well :biggrin: How did you make that change? Any advice?
Original post by trevorwaris
hey, i got a grade D for physics AS and wish to get A for A2.
Based on your post, does it means that is it possible to get A for physics at A2 despite grade D in AS?

Of course! I went from an E in Further Maths to an A* so anything is possible if you set your mind to it. But you'll have to retake your AS modules so be ready for the additional work alongside your A2 modules. I would advise you to get started asap so you can get the AS content out of the way before you get confused with the A2 content.

I retook unit 1 alongside my A2 modules and maxed out the paper which boosted my entire grade even though I got a B in Unit 4. I remember when I did AS Physics, I didn't understand a n y t h i n g we learnt in class. Sure, the content made sense, but I couldn't apply my knowledge in questions. That was my biggest mistake and I made sure to fix it this year.

Good luck with everything :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RZA17
Please share how you did it! Revision techniques, tips etc. I didn't take the same subjects as you but I need help on how to turn an E into something higher :frown:

I started revising like I had January exams. As soon as college started, I was in the library during all my frees because I knew that I would get distracted at home. From September to about February, I relied on frees and holidays to get the bulk of my work done. By June I was staying in college till 6-7ish (not everyday though) and took advantage of the fact that my teachers were around doing admin work and whatnot so they could help me out if I needed it.

Honestly, everybody has their own revision techniques but I did A LOT of past papers. Multiple times. I did the first round in December with the mindset that I had January exams. It really helped because I pushed myself harder and I knew from last year that I get tired around May and end up lazing around. For maths and physics, I marked the papers myself and picked up a lot from mark schemes that I hadn't included in my notes. But for English, I got my teacher to mark my essays and give me ways to improve. A good resource for essay subjects is to use the examiners' report that is published every year alongside the mark scheme. It literally tells you everything they're looking for when they mark the exam papers.

I also switched up the way I made my notes. Instead of filling up notebooks with **** I'd never look back at, I bought a stack of post-it notes and copied out my notes on there, then stuck them all over my bedroom walls (sorta like a collage) because I knew that whenever I tried to revise at home I would look around all the time. I'm so easily distracted lol. But using post-its made me condense my notes into sentences that were super easy to memorise.

I hope you knuckle down and revise effectively. You have to find out what works for you, and the best way to do that is avoid doing whatever it was that you did this year. Good luck with everything :smile: xx
Got a D at business AS managed to achieve A* at a2 still shocked
Is it possible for me to do well with 4 AS resits ( C1,C2,S1) and one geography module?
I need an A in maths and got a C
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Gin44
I'm not sure if it's a success, but I was a straight A/A* student at GCSE, who managed to get an ABDE at AS level, thankfully, I dropped the E, from A level Chemistry. It was a bad decision to take it in the first place :':wink:, on results day of A2, I was predicted AAB to go study at Queen Mary University, with Surrey as my insurance; however, I did not manage to improve my AS biology grade (D) to an A as I'd hoped, despite the extra amount of work I put in this year - the bio grade did go up though - but I did achieve two A*s in Religious Studies and English Literature, scoring full marks in the latter's exam. This led to me applying for adjustment, and I am now holding an unconditional adjustment offer for King's College. Despite this, I sincerely hope that your mood improves, feel better!! Even if you feel downcast right now, somewhere in the world, the sun is still shining, so there's always hope. :smile:

what course at kings?
Did you resit in AS ?ive got similar grades but I'm not sure about resitting.
Hey, i got a B in biology ..and I'm quiet disappointed..i asked many people about what should i do.i mean should i go for recheck or a retake...and every single person said *retake* ...they were like there are very few success stories..either the grade remains same or it goes down...but im sure about it that it wont be going to *C* ATLEAST.
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
IMPRESSIVE! Ahh must feel so nice to experience hard work paying off.
What does it feel like to have "worked so much harder". I will be taking bio, chem, maths to A2 as well :biggrin: How did you make that change? Any advice?

It was such a shock to me that I cried on results day and thought no university would accept me. It was a kick up the arse that meant I just HAD to work hard. I pulled myself together and just forced myself to work hard because I had to to get into a good university and study what I wanted to study. I also wrote a damn good personal statement according to my teachers :tongue:

For advice, I'll refer to what I said earlier:
I went through every textbook front to back, missing no information and doing almost every question for every section. When I was confident in a certain unit, I'd start doing past papers, marking my answers getting better at the kind of questions they ask in exams. Before the real exams I spend a month doing nothing but revision every day using a revision timetable scheduled around my exam timetable.
Reply 98
I got BBCE in maths chem physics and french, i feel terrible i started revising from september amd had even started c1 during my holiday😥😥😥 my enginerring dreams are over
Original post by Callum323
It was such a shock to me that I cried on results day and thought no university would accept me. It was a kick up the arse that meant I just HAD to work hard. I pulled myself together and just forced myself to work hard because I had to to get into a good university and study what I wanted to study. I also wrote a damn good personal statement according to my teachers :tongue:

For advice, I'll refer to what I said earlier:
I went through every textbook front to back, missing no information and doing almost every question for every section. When I was confident in a certain unit, I'd start doing past papers, marking my answers getting better at the kind of questions they ask in exams. Before the real exams I spend a month doing nothing but revision every day using a revision timetable scheduled around my exam timetable.

Is it able for me to go from a high c to a grade A. I will be resitiing 4 exams(c1,c2,s1 and one geog module

Quick Reply

Latest