The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, anyone else feel that Year 11 is just a weird year all round. We are 15, some of us 16, we're kind of adults but schools refuse to treat us as such, and these GCSEs which no one knows whether they are actually useful or not. We are halfway in between GCSE changes and I don't know...just feels strange.
Are GCSEs useful?
Original post by Samosa and Vada
Are GCSEs useful?

what do you mean by that?
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Guys, anyone else feel that Year 11 is just a weird year all round. We are 15, some of us 16, we're kind of adults but schools refuse to treat us as such, and these GCSEs which no one knows whether they are actually useful or not. We are halfway in between GCSE changes and I don't know...just feels strange.

It definately feels strange, time is going so quick and there's so much going on. It's why it's important to value every moment you have, and try new things have new life experiences. And yeah, it's scary that we're doing some of these new GCSE's. We're gonna get through it though!
Original post by Samosa and Vada
Are GCSEs useful?

asking the real questions lmao :biggrin:

And the answer is, NO
dot
Reply 1986
wooo same
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey anyone doing the edexcel rs gcse (2009 spec)?
Original post by mez_merising
Hey anyone doing the edexcel rs gcse (2009 spec)?

I do know that two of my friends are doing it (plus i may have glanced at their textbook.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow

I agree, but it also taught me a valuable lesson for A levels.
Don't pick too many coursework subjects.
I am currently suffering with a bit of stress, mainly because i didn't finish my enterprise coursework and i'm way behind my media coursework.. At least my other coursework subjects (english and art) are fine though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it just me that has done almost no work so far this holidays? I had a day off when I broke up then have been away ever since so all I've done is a very small section of my English homework :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Is it just me that has done almost no work so far this holidays? I had a day off when I broke up then have been away ever since so all I've done is a very small section of my English homework :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

My holidays were pretty much wasted because of procrastination :biggrin::colonhash:
Hiiiiii, I am Charlotte and this year I will e taking 10 full GCSEs!
I am taking these subjects along with my predicted grades:
English Language (new spec - AQA) - 6+
English Literature (new spec - AQA) - 6+
Maths (new spec- EDEXCEL) - 6+
Biology (OCR GATEWAY) - B
Chemistry (OCR GATEWAY) - A
Physics (OCR GATEWAY) - A
German (EDEXCEL) - B
History (OCR) - A*
Sociology (AQA) - A
ICT (EDEXCEL) - C (our teacher gave everyone this because we have only been doing coursework so he doesn't know how we will do, but I would like to get an A as it is very easy subject)

I did one GCSE last year which was statistics and I got a B in that. I am not very proud of it as I thought I could get an A because in class the past papers I usually got As and A*s in but because I did not revise that much I got a B :/ I was 7 marks off an A though :frown: This year hopefully I can get the As and A*s I did not get last year !

For A-levels I would like to take:
History
Maths
Chemistry/Sociology :smile:

I am really worried about the English exams because I recently did the English Language mocks and I got 64/160 which is really bad :frown: TBH I thought I did quite well in paper 2 but I did really bad :frown: I really do not want to resit any of my GCSEs as I would like to go to a Russell Group University to study law. Does anyone have any tips of ideas on what could help me with English language, with techniques ect?

I am also going to be doing the English Lit mocks at the end of January so does anyone know any ideas on how to revise for it? We have to learn Romeo and Juliet, An Inspector Calls, 15 poems from an anthology (annotations) and Jekyll and Hyde. I am really worried as I need to do well in this subject in order to do A-level History.
u
I can help anyone with sociology (we are doing Crime and Deviance, Mass Media, Social Inequality, Studying Society, Education and Family), with History (we are doing Medicine through time (Before 3000BC-2000AD), Germany and the rise and fall o the Nazis and Public Health (1700-2000)) and lastly Maths :smile:

Thank you for anyone who can help me with English !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Love and good luck xoxo
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haseeb798
Has anyone done the pixl mock paper's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have done the maths mocks for them yes:smile:
Original post by bjt1882
What's everyone doing study wise over the Christmas holiday then? I'm making notes on all of my English Literature texts (Macbeth, Lord of the Flies and Jekyll and Hyde). Also doing Science (Additional), Maths and some Music coursework, but that's about it . Going on holiday from the 24th to the 27th, so am refusing to work during that period :biggrin:

I am also doing Jekyll and Hyde! Honestly I really do not like the story but can you help me by how can I make notes on it? I am so confused or could you show me somehow on how you have done them? Thank you xxx
Reply 1996
I hope everybody has had a great Christmas and it's great to see more members joining the thread. :biggrin: We have less than 6 months to go and for those who are worried, we're in it together and we will succeed.

Spoiler

CoffeeAndPolitics
Original post by ????????????????
Hi everyone!
I'm taking 12 GCSEs - triple science, French, german, history, RE, stats, music and of course maths and the Englishes (?)

I'm really interested in a lot of stuff, and for A level I'm looking at maths, French, bio, chem and RS.

Anyone who's doing music, how do you find the course? How is your coursework going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiiiiii, good luck with your exams this year!! Do you have any tips for English lang (especially) or lit as it is my hardest subject and my mock for English language I got 64/160 :frown: idk why but I revised unlike my class and I still got the lowest :frown:
Reply 1998
Original post by charlott3
Hiiiiii, good luck with your exams this year!! Do you have any tips for English lang (especially) or lit as it is my hardest subject and my mock for English language I got 64/160 :frown: idk why but I revised unlike my class and I still got the lowest :frown:

Mr Bruff or Stacey Reay's videos on YouTube are very useful. Don't worry too much, there's still some time to improve on this. :biggrin:
Original post by charlott3
I am really worried about the English exams because I recently did the English Language mocks and I got 64/160 which is really bad :frown: TBH I thought I did quite well in paper 2 but I did really bad :frown: I really do not want to resit any of my GCSEs as I would like to go to a Russell Group University to study law. Does anyone have any tips of ideas on what could help me with English language, with techniques ect?

Hi! Welcome to the thread! :smile:

Mr Bruff on YouTube is a good source of revision to go to. What has helped me is reading, I've noticed when I read more I usually get better with my writing so do some reading everyday. If it's 10 mins then do so or if it's an hour then even better! :smile:

I am also going to be doing the English Lit mocks at the end of January so does anyone know any ideas on how to revise for it? We have to learn Romeo and Juliet, An Inspector Calls, 15 poems from an anthology (annotations) and Jekyll and Hyde. I am really worried as I need to do well in this subject in order to do A-level History.

What I do to revise English Lit is I memorise key quotes from each novel/poem/play we have studied and I also do some essay writing. You could write bullet point plans for comparisons and etc using your key quotes. You could also practice writing if you want with this by selecting a quote and doing a full PEE paragraph of it.

Good luck in your mocks! :biggrin:

Latest