The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question, does the speed of receiving an offer affect your college allocation? I.e. If you receive an offer quickly, are you more likely to receive your preference?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by AlexBakSik
Just a quick question, does the speed of receiving an offer affect your college allocation? I.e. If you receive an offer quickly, are you more likely to receive your preference?

I doubt it, as academic offers are made before college offers, which are made from February, so by then you'd expect most academic offers to have already been made.
Original post by Ruthie2267
I don't mind I've applied for history! (probs about the furthest you can get from biomed 😉)

😬😬 I really want to know their decision! Durham's my first choice, I loved it (and especially Trevs) when I went to the open day.
Fingers crossed we'll both get in and both get into Trevs! The girl who showed me around on the open day said that Trevs is usually pretty undersubscribed so hopefully we'll be put there!

I do History at the moment, and yeh it is quite far from Biomed but thats the kind of thing I love about Durham and its Collegiate system - people doing such opposites are all mixed up equally and I think its great!
I was also told it was quite undersubscribed too, which is so lucky for us but I have no idea why, it was so lovely!
Original post by emmab13
I do History at the moment, and yeh it is quite far from Biomed but thats the kind of thing I love about Durham and its Collegiate system - people doing such opposites are all mixed up equally and I think its great!
I was also told it was quite undersubscribed too, which is so lucky for us but I have no idea why, it was so lovely!

Yeah exactly!!

I think it's because it has this stereotype of a rejects college, mainly because a lot of people (especially those obsessed with Oxbridge) apply for University college and other grander ones, and then obviously they don't all get in so they get out in ones like Trevs... no clue why people prefer university over Trevs tbh - it's so cold and sterile imo and apparently there are loads of tourists 😬 but each to their own I guess!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly!!

I think it's because it has this stereotype of a rejects college, mainly because a lot of people (especially those obsessed with Oxbridge) apply for University college and other grander ones, and then obviously they don't all get in so they get out in ones like Trevs... no clue why people prefer university over Trevs tbh - it's so cold and sterile imo and apparently there are loads of tourists 😬 but each to their own I guess!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I completely agree - personally I'm not at all interested in Oxbridge, I just want to be somewhere where I am happy!!
I didn't really look at University College but I just hear loads of international students apply there because it's so iconic, and I guess people think they might live in a castle which is quite cool.
Original post by emmab13
Yeh I completely agree - personally I'm not at all interested in Oxbridge, I just want to be somewhere where I am happy!!
I didn't really look at University College but I just hear loads of international students apply there because it's so iconic, and I guess people think they might live in a castle which is quite cool.

I've applied to Cambridge and I legitimately have no idea why 😂😂😂 I feel so out of my depth and the entire process is making me so stressed omg; even I got in I would have serious doubts taking the place because I just don't know if I'd actually like it there??

Ahh see I don't like grand stuff at all - it's nice to stay in for a couple of days imo but I just don't think the really grand places are somewhere I can feel comfortable (like the college I applied to for Cambridge was like the least grand one I could find 😂). I imagine if you want to feel like you're in Harry Potter tho it'd be like the perfect place! The hall is seriously grand - I took pictures on the open day if you did want a look (there might be a virtual tour online or something on the college website idk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Starlight27
Which universities did you apply to for Veterinary Medicine? Well, I've applied for Biochemistry everywhere so Durham's my first choice. :smile:

I've applied to Nottingham, Surrey, Edinburgh, and Glasgow :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge and I legitimately have no idea why 😂😂😂 I feel so out of my depth and the entire process is making me so stressed omg; even I got in I would have serious doubts taking the place because I just don't know if I'd actually like it there??

Ahh see I don't like grand stuff at all - it's nice to stay in for a couple of days imo but I just don't think the really grand places are somewhere I can feel comfortable (like the college I applied to for Cambridge was like the least grand one I could find 😂). I imagine if you want to feel like you're in Harry Potter tho it'd be like the perfect place! The hall is seriously grand - I took pictures on the open day if you did want a look (there might be a virtual tour online or something on the college website idk)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way really!? :O a lot of my friends have been busy with Oxbridge and it's been stressing them out doing mock interviews and everything and I'm just so glad I decided not to go that way. Tbf neither really did the course I wanted so it was never going to work for me and I guess that helped make up my mind!!
Yeh if you've got a picture of the 'Harry-Potter-esque' grand hall I'd love to see it. We spent the whole day down the Science end of Durham, looking around the town and Cathedral the day before we never got a chance to see the castle !
Biomed with foundation year anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
(Original post by AlexBakSik)

Original post by CatusStarbright
I doubt it, as academic offers are made before college offers, which are made from February, so by then you'd expect most academic offers to have already been made.

I couldn't find on the website how they allocate in February (there is some stuff about you may not get your choice if Durham is not your firm or if you apply after February). Is it names from a hat for the others? The colleges seem to be autonomous so do they decide which ones to keep? Do the colleges compete?
Original post by Pars12

I couldn't find on the website how they allocate in February (there is some stuff about you may not get your choice if Durham is not your firm or if you apply after February). Is it names from a hat for the others? The colleges seem to be autonomous so do they decide which ones to keep? Do the colleges compete?

Apologies, it's not February, it's March. It was in my acknowledgement email, they sent details of the application process - I'll quote it for you:

"The first round of college allocations for applicants who have received an academic offer by 1st February will take place by 1st March and then regularly after this date for applicants who receive an academic offer after 1st February. At this point, should the date not have already passed, you will also be invited to an Post-Offer Visit Day."
gcses 4As 1A* 6Bs
As (1st time round) U U E B (B in history)
AS (2nd time) AAAA (politics, history, economics, maths)
predicions : A*A*A*A* (politics, history, economics, classics)

what are my chances? I still have not heard back!

p.s i've applied for history :smile:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Check out the thread for Durham History applicants!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68896066#post68896066
Heyy
I've applied to do BioMedical Sciences - predicted AAA - got AABC at AS - the C was a massive fluke and in biology :frown:
Got 7 A's and 2 A*'s at GCSE....I've got my offers from Liverpool and UCL - anyone got theirs for BioMed at Durham??
What do you think my chances are??
(oh, and my boyfriend got his a couple of days ago for physics....)
Have received my unconditional offer a few weeks ago! History with a foundation year. I'm a mature student with only GCSE's so I am very happy with the offer and cannot wait!!
Original post by elllaaa.j
Heyy
I've applied to do BioMedical Sciences - predicted AAA - got AABC at AS - the C was a massive fluke and in biology :frown:
Got 7 A's and 2 A*'s at GCSE....I've got my offers from Liverpool and UCL - anyone got theirs for BioMed at Durham??
What do you think my chances are??
(oh, and my boyfriend got his a couple of days ago for physics....)

Hey, our predicted grades are the same and I'm also applying for Biomed. I've got all my other offers but still waiting on Durham too!! Glad to see I'm not the only one :smile:
Original post by emmab13
Hey, our predicted grades are the same and I'm also applying for Biomed. I've got all my other offers but still waiting on Durham too!! Glad to see I'm not the only one :smile:

I'm also waiting to hear back for biomed :smile: I'm a medicine applicant and sometimes I regret applying to Durham even though I love it because most medicine applicants got their backup offers like two days after submitting their applications haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Just received an offer for Bsc. Economics with Business placement :biggrin: I am an international applicant from Singapore, happens to receive my offer on the day of my last A level exam. Good luck everyone !!!
Has anyone heard for Chemistry?
Original post by Leporisa
Just received an offer for Bsc. Economics with Business placement :biggrin: I am an international applicant from Singapore, happens to receive my offer on the day of my last A level exam. Good luck everyone !!!

This isn't very helpful but I'm from Singapore too!! :biggrin: And congrats on your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest