The Student Room Group

AS results disappointment

I have received my exam results and got: Politics-B, Philosophy-C, Eng Lit-C and Geography-B. The whole year I had been working on As and Bs in my subjects not to mention the fact that I had been revising since January.

Overall I was so disappointed as I had my heart set out on going to a Russell Group uni to do Geography or Politics and Philosophy.

I'm planning on requesting a copy of my geography script to see if I can get any more marks since I'm 5 UMS off an A, drop politics and retake Philosophy next year. Eng Lit is linear so that shouldn't matter. However, my main query is whether this is advisable ( to go forth with BCC next year) or if I should drop the subject which I have the lowest grade in. Does anyone have any advice as to what else I could do to improve my grades?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by willa27
I have received my exam results and got: Politics-B, Philosophy-C, Eng Lit-C and Geography-B. The whole year I had been working on As and Bs in my subjects not to mention the fact that I had been revising since January.

Overall I was so disappointed as I had my heart set out on going to a Russell Group uni to do Geography or Politics and Philosophy.

I'm planning on requesting a copy of my geography script to see if I can get any more marks since I'm 5 UMS off an A, drop politics and retake Philosophy next year. Eng Lit is linear so that shouldn't matter. However, my main query is whether this is advisable ( to go forth with BCC next year) or if I should drop the subject which I have the lowest grade in. Does anyone have any advice as to what else I could do to improve my grades?

First of all: Those a decent grades and you shouldn't be to dissatisfied with them.

Secondly: I always advise drop the least most favourite or preferred A-level. Take 3 A2 subjects that you really enjoyed at AS. Makes sense.

Lastly: You might end up being predicted ABB or AAB. So what's wrong with applying to Top or potentionally RG unis with those predicted grades? At the end of the day, it's not advisable to apply to all RG unis anyway. It's best to apply to 1 RG, 2 Top unis 1 decent uni and 1 uni that would be your last resort. You need to be a lot more realistic and start thinking about where you'd like to study and at the end of the day, it doesn't often matter if you studied at a RG uni - the average grad job you need a 2:1 or higher from a decent uni, not a top uni.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be ambitious of course, but nothing wrong with being sensible and realistic too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest